PDA

View Full Version : Self-destructing DVDs

LooeyUK
14-07-2003, 23:53
"The disc, called an EZ-D, will be sold in an airtight envelope. Once the package is opened, the surface of the disc will start to react with the air, slowly changing colour from red to an opaque black over the next two days. "

Apprently its being released next month, i just wanted to know your views on this issue.

I personley think its a bad idea.

- People will still be able to connect their TV's up to recording equipment. So this wont solve the whole piracy issue.

- I very much doubt the DVDs will be biodegradable and we'll be faced with yet more mountains of CD/DVDs.

- Good idea until some smart person finds that by smearing them with olive oil/car polish wax/something else* will actually preserve them.
* Delete as appropriate

- I read that staff at the New Scientist magazine have discovered that they could extend the life of the disc once opened by keeping it in a sealed container in a fridge!

matty4donna
14-07-2003, 23:55
what exactly is the point in a DVD that lasts for two days? :rolleyes:

imback
14-07-2003, 23:57
Originally posted by matty4donna
what exactly is the point in a DVD that lasts for two dayds: :rolleyes:

It's for rentals, you wont have to take it back, so our generation become even more lazy than we are now:spin:

LooeyUK
14-07-2003, 23:58
I dont actually know.

But, to be honest, it just goes to show how much these companies get in profit because these discs will only be about £3! It must cost more for a self distruction DVD

matty4donna
15-07-2003, 00:07
so how are they going to predict that you get a full rental out of it? some people may have "warmer" or cooler housers or more humid houses that make it happen faster or slower. And sometimes it might just not work. This is boarderline craziness if you ask me!

LooeyUK
15-07-2003, 00:13
What happens is when the DVD players lazer goes accross the disc is distructs or makes it "rust" so to speak

danielf
15-07-2003, 00:13
Originally posted by imback
It's for rentals, you wont have to take it back, so our generation become even more lazy than we are now:spin:

Think of all the petrol saved...

Martin
15-07-2003, 01:24

When i first read this I thought crazy, but for rentals it kinda makes sense. I just wonder how much the disc will cost the vide companies and how we will suffer in raised rentals.:rolleyes:

kronas
15-07-2003, 01:26
hmm i read this months ago wont stop copying just stops lazyness of returning the disc :p

Jarandco
15-07-2003, 09:08

Ok good idea for not copying - but wont this cause more wasteage and poluation, because more of the dvds will have to be produced using more fuels casing more of a problem for the world and its atmosphere!?

I think they should just stick to the normal way! it will save more energy - although fuel....?:shrug:

Lord Nikon
15-07-2003, 09:19
How many times have you returned a DVD or Video to the shop and rented another one which caught your eye while you were there?...

Just another reason that "Disposable DVDs" are a bad idea...

Chris
15-07-2003, 10:12
Originally posted by Jarandco
Ok good idea for not copying - but wont this cause more wasteage and poluation, because more of the dvds will have to be produced using more fuels casing more of a problem for the world and its atmosphere!?

I think they should just stick to the normal way! it will save more energy - although fuel....?:shrug:

I think you are absolutely right - I hate this disposable world we live in. We should be spending our energy devising ways to live in a more sustainable way, not findnig new ways to fill landfill sites. This pledge by the manufacturer in the US to run a recycling operation is just PR fluff to deflect criticism, IMO.

(We use washable nappies with our son because we found out that 8 million disposables go into landfill in the UK every day. They cost a fortune as well.)

basa
15-07-2003, 10:50
Originally posted by towny
I think you are absolutely right - I hate this disposable world we live in. We should be spending our energy devising ways to live in a more sustainable way, not findnig new ways to fill landfill sites. This pledge by the manufacturer in the US to run a recycling operation is just PR fluff to deflect criticism, IMO.

(We use washable nappies with our son because we found out that 8 million disposables go into landfill in the UK every day. They cost a fortune as well.)

I agree disposable is bad, re-usable or bio degradable is better.

However with regard to disposable nappies (I have 2 daughters) don't the liners get thrown out ? And what about the energy (heating water) wasted washing them, not to mention the chlorides, sulphates, phosphates, surfactants and drying agents in detergents that pollute the water ?? :confused:

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other ? :shrug:

Defiant
15-07-2003, 10:53
Thats old news they done that first with the DVDscreener's of Die Another Day ;)

Lord Nikon
15-07-2003, 10:54
And what is to stop someone ripping the DVD down to an AVI or MPG file then burning it back as a VCD?

Or simply copying the DVD? lol

Chris
15-07-2003, 11:30
Originally posted by basa
I agree disposable is bad, re-usable or bio degradable is better.

However with regard to disposable nappies (I have 2 daughters) don't the liners get thrown out ? And what about the energy (heating water) wasted washing them, not to mention the chlorides, sulphates, phosphates, surfactants and drying agents in detergents that pollute the water ?? :confused:

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other ? :shrug:

[OFF TOPIC]
The nappy liners we're using at the moment are flushable, so they at least get treated as sewage rather than taking raw turds to landfill. We have just ordered a set of washable liners which you sluice in a toilet b4 washing.

Pollutants in washing detergent can also be dealt with by sewage treatment, whereas the entire contents of a disposable nappy (including indestructible petrochemicals and some very nasty gel crystals designed to soak up liquid) go untreated into a landfill site. And the very manufacture of those nappies uses energy on an industrial scale and generates plenty of pollutants.

Research by the Real Nappy Association suggests that, taking manufacture, material composition and washing/disposal into account, the 'environmental footprint' of a re-useable nappy is far smaller than for a disposable.

Finally:

1. You just don't get any significant nappy rash with washables!
2. By the time our son has finished with nappies, even allowing for costs of washing them, we will have saved somewhere between £500 and £1,000.
[/OFF TOPIC]

Now back to disposable DVDs.... ;)

zoombini
15-07-2003, 14:50
AND...

Later in life, Towny will have plenty of good rags to use if he has any unused terry nappies.

We bought loads when ours popped in for a visit, it turned out more than we could use so they got used for all sorts & still make excellent dusters to this day.

unlike disposable DVD's, unless they have excellent graphics imprinted on them, in which case they might make nice drink coasters & you can dispose of the AOL ones.

Chris
15-07-2003, 15:45
Originally posted by zoombini
unlike disposable DVD's, unless they have excellent graphics imprinted on them, in which case they might make nice drink coasters & you can dispose of the AOL ones.

You should send your AOL CD junk mail to:

www.nomoreaolcds.co.uk ;)

And as for nappies ... reusables have come on a long way! Most are now pre-shaped and very easy to use. These are the ones we use:

http://www.totsbots.com/nappies.shtm

EDIT - I'm feeling inspired ... think I'll go kick off an eco-thread :)

Graham
16-07-2003, 20:13
[Re: Self-destructing DVDs]

I think someone's been watching too many old Mission: Impossible programmes!

Alternatively, of course, this could be someone trying to create a success out of a failure (eg the glue on Post-It notes was actually a "failure" originally!)