PDA

View Full Version : htaccess on NTL free Webspace

morrisok
02-04-2004, 10:37
I know I should be able to use a htaccess files on the ntl webspace as it uses Apache, but I can't seem to get anything I put into it to work. I am trying to block people from accessing any of the subfolders in my webspace by using the line "Options -Indexes +Multiviews"

I now want to password protect another directory and thats not working either. Is NTL not even allowing us to use htaccess files or am I using the wrong commands.

Thanks

Kevin

Jon M
02-04-2004, 11:04
Hi Kevin and welcome to cable forum :D
If no-one else replies to this for a while.. i'll have a look at the NTL webspace when I get home.
I don't recall seeing the .htaccess file in my own webspace, but it may well be hidden.

Dave Stones
02-04-2004, 11:51
have you made sure you upload the .htaccess file as ASCII? it misbehaves on my webspace if i forget to set it to ascii before i upload it... :(

oh, and .htaccess tends to be hidden (on mine at least it is anyway), you might need to "show all files" in your ftp or something like that :)

SMHarman
02-04-2004, 12:11
Have you removed the .txt or whatever off the end.

If you create a .htaccess file in windows, it needs a file extension you need to delete this onece it is on the unix box

morrisok
02-04-2004, 12:24
Thanks for the quick responses.

It is hidden from my ftp program, but it does upload.

The ftp program I am using uploads it in Auto, I will check if I can set it manually to transfer it as ascii.

The file is definatly just called .htaccess I had to rename it in dos to get a filename starting with a .

Does this mean other people have used .htaccess in there ntl webspace?

MikeyB
02-04-2004, 12:37
I'm pretty sure that if you upload a .htaccess file, it will have no affect on your webspace at all.

I'm sure the server has been configured not to allow users to use .htaccess on their webspace

morrisok
05-04-2004, 08:28
Thats a shame, it seemed like the .htaccess file would make my life much easier.

Whats the chances of speaking to someone in NTL about turning it on :)

Whats peoples suggestions then for a secure way of blocking access to directory structures in the NTL webspace then??

Thanks

Kevin

slimshady
05-04-2004, 09:07
Probably be better to go with a hosting company - the ntl webspace is really rather basic.

Here are a few;
http://www.estratospherehosting.com
http://www.hostingunlimited.com

What kinda thing are you trying to do? - Maybe If you are on broadband it might be easier to run an apache server on your PC, Especially if its low volume use and your passwording it (ntl will have nothing to whing about!!!) - You would probably be best to register a Dynamic DNS or No-IP service, as well to make life easier.

MikeyB
05-04-2004, 23:03
Thats a shame, it seemed like the .htaccess file would make my life much easier.

Whats the chances of speaking to someone in NTL about turning it on :)

Whats peoples suggestions then for a secure way of blocking access to directory structures in the NTL webspace then??

Thanks

Kevin
I should think that your chances of getting .htaccess turned on are 0%.
Just think about the number of users are hosted, and the potential for someone to mess it up!

Without .htaccess or some sort of server side scripting, there is no way you can securly block access, only chance you have with your ntl webspace is javascript!!

Getting a paid host is your only bet. Free hosts wont offer what you need.
A quick plug for KingPhoenix:
http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk/nthwwhosting.html