PDA

View Full Version : why did my proxy just stop my browser working?

ikthius
27-03-2004, 23:25
I am on NTL broadband, I had previously had problems with getting into websites, and it was suggested by many buddies who know about computers more than i do to get NTL to tell me the proxy servers so that i can access more websites.

NTL's support was very slow in this matter, I had my LAN setting page open, in my windows XP machine before I even rang NTL.
The technical guy did not have a clue he kept me hanging on until he found where the LAN settings were, anyway, they gave me these settings:
Address: 62.253.0.4 Port: 8080
I live just outside glasgow.

This worked fine until a few days ago, when IE would not work. before I was going to waste my money i decided to try out the proxy settings and uncheck them, this worked, but (although it is ok now, as it did before) my problem may come back, so and here is my question. can i use a different proxy address and/or port for my computer, if so what should it be?
I have seen a web page sent in by someone on this forum, but i did not make head nor tail of it.

I have now downloaded Mozilla Firefox 0.8, which is magic.

ik

Paul
27-03-2004, 23:38
You can use any of NTL's proxy servers - See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

Munkeh
28-03-2004, 12:57
This worked fine until a few days ago, when IE would not work. before I was going to waste my money i decided to try out the proxy settings and uncheck them, this worked, but (although it is ok now, as it did before) my problem may come back, so and here is my question.

If its working I'd leave it empty, let the data planning boys have a break ;)

ikthius
29-03-2004, 07:30
I would love to, but I cannot get access to a lot of websites, mainly my yahoo account, yahoo profile pages, and the likes, why should I not get the basic access other people get.

I forgot to say that everytime i get the 404 i also get the message file not found on this server.

Ik

Florence
29-03-2004, 08:02
Keep reporting the proxies are not working. I know they will say there is no issue with them but the more people complain when they don't work the sooner NTL will do something..

I was on for proxies last night and was told that they didn't have any reports so come on report them.

Having one named proxy can be worse in if it is playing up the computer will be stuck.. You are still stuck with it open but thats life with NTL.. The proxies should be changed to something else and allow us to surf free of proxies.....

ikthius
29-03-2004, 12:28
after 30 mins on the phone to a guy who could talk for britain and not let you get a word in edgeways, and after they tried everything on my side, they said it was their server that had the problem, not my proxy, or settings or anything.

Their server does not refresh coockies, he said, so he is taking it up with his management team.

But I wonder if it will.

I find it funny how I got an email from NTL technical support to say get ZoneAlarm, but the guy on the phone said NTL don't recommend firewalls!!!

ik

Neil
29-03-2004, 12:32
after 30 mins on the phone to a guy who could talk for britain and not let you get a word in edgeways, and after they tried everything on my side, they said it was their server that had the problem, not my proxy, or settings or anything.

Their server does not refresh coockies, he said, so he is taking it up with his management team.

But I wonder if it will.

I find it funny how I got an email from NTL technical support to say get ZoneAlarm, but the guy on the phone said NTL don't recommend firewalls!!!

ik

I'm afraid that is classic ntl, at it's left hand/right hand best.

Did you get the name of the person that you spoke to?

ikthius
29-03-2004, 12:38
he did say at the start but I forgot, but he was from wales.

The thing is the 30 mins was not exagerating, it is going to cost a fortune, all because it was NTLs fault, but i phoned them.

I like how not just NTL but when chatting to some technical support, these people always go to see their suppervisor/manager, will these technical guys ever make it to that level of management, or do they have to master PC's first????:D

ik

threadbare
29-03-2004, 12:56
I would love to, but I cannot get access to a lot of websites, mainly my yahoo account, yahoo profile pages, and the likes, why should I not get the basic access other people get.

I forgot to say that everytime i get the 404 i also get the message file not found on this server.

Ikerror 404 usually means a problem with the hosting but it is possible that the proxies are caching older pages that are out of date and therefore have incorrect links. ctrl F5 should cure this.

Nor
29-03-2004, 17:23
I'm having major problems today. Can't get to the BBC website and sites that I use alot like www.trickery.net are terribly slow. I assume its some sort of proxy/dns/eek problem and its known about ?

I'm not keen on having to pee about changing proxy servers to get to websites as the bloomin' thing should work as it is.

malcb
29-03-2004, 17:35
i have had problems all day with my internet, i thought it was something to do with the router. all of a sudden the internet would be lost, unable to get any e-mails. the same was happening yesterday

ikthius
29-03-2004, 23:27
error 404 usually means a problem with the hosting but it is possible that the proxies are caching older pages that are out of date and therefore have incorrect links. ctrl F5 should cure this. Yes, That's what I have understood, when I was studying programming, but the technition guy did not let me talk at all, but they eventually accepted it was there server. why can't NTL email everyone, that there may be a problem, and send out information to help us, we pay for the service and we pay through the nose for bad support, I have seen more support in this forum than I have ever seen on the NTL website.

And another thing, I do not trust the first aid thing they are trying to plug, this did not work on their old dial up service, in fact it caused more problems than it was worth. I will stick to doing it myself.

Another rant, Why is it most technitians think you don't know what you are talking about? like they talk to you as if you have never seen a computer in your life?

ik

Nor
29-03-2004, 23:45
why can't NTL email everyone, that there may be a problem, and send out information to help us

Cos when they goto email us us info about dns problems the email server would be down :)