PDA

View Full Version : Good article from a guest on Gamespot

Boom
14-07-2003, 08:33
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/071103minusworld/8.html

How many times do I get on get some person (more than likely a Yank, not that all Yanks behave this way) who starts spouting off about blacks, Jews, etc.? If I'm hosting, I give them the big old boot.

Ramrod
14-07-2003, 11:31
Originally posted by Boom
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/gamespotting/071103minusworld/8.html

How many times do I get on get some person (more than likely a Yank, not that all Yanks behave this way) who starts spouting off about blacks, Jews, etc.? If I'm hosting, I give them the big old boot.
I voted for: 'kicked repeatedly in the groin':D

NEONKNIGHT
14-07-2003, 12:30
Once again it proves what a Big, Bad, Sad World we live in. If anyone encounters people like this - throw them off the game or better still report them and get them banned. Sorted.

Mark15
14-07-2003, 12:36
I voted locking then in jail with a cell-mate named Bubba lol :D

Caspar
14-07-2003, 15:57
Yo be honest...I disagree with most of the things in the article...but the author, to me, comes across like a bit of a prude! ..and with very stereotypical examples..

...obviously racist, sexist etc. jokes are a :nono: but I think he's maybe a very sensitive gamer, or maybe not even a gamer at all :confused: ...and he maybe confusing bigotry with general gaming banter?

...we've all said things, that out of context sound damn right illegal!, but we all, most of us!, know we're just fooling around and we're not really going to dismember each other :p

I think his main point of the article is flawed also...that if a vocal obnoxious player joins it's time to leave :confused: .....the author simply forgot about, and did not mention...the XBL player mute function!

...I've used this once or twice and is very effective to mute gamers who talk rubbish!

..Team Killing is another matter though...which XBL has yet to find a true counter measure against (bot even banning works on all games, cause they just reconnect!)

Boom
14-07-2003, 16:02
I think he's main point was to say there are still @rses out there who just spout a lot of sh*t. I've heard a lot of cr@p on different occasions when someone else is hosting.

Also, in MA are you able to mute ppl individually? Perhaps the new patches/downloads makes it possible.

ic14
14-07-2003, 18:14
Originally posted by Mark15
I voted locking then in jail with a cell-mate named Bubba lol :D
Same here!!!!

zoombini
15-07-2003, 10:16
AFAIKR There is a facility in RTCW where if you team kill, you can get automatically kicked.

Caspar
15-07-2003, 10:18
Originally posted by zoombini
AFAIKR There is a facility in RTCW where if you team kill, you can get automatically kicked.

yeah, the default is 5 Tkills...

...I always have to watch myself when I have the panzer!!! :rolleyes: :spin:

...but the topic issue...is that then banned person can just reconnect...through finding the game..or using the 'Recent Players' facility :rolleyes: :eek:

Doctor E
15-07-2003, 12:13
Couple of silly TK events I recall.

1. RTCW. Player repeatedly TK'ed me. I warned him about four times about it and said I wasn't happy. He kept whining about needing an Elastoplast, so on the next TK I gave him something that would require major fscking surgery. I machine gunned him in the head at close range. The third player was totally incredulous at this and suggested to the TK-Max prat that he kick me off the game. In the end they didn't bother, but double standards were definitely in operation there, I think I'd stumbled on a regular playing pair who just wanted to muck about.

2. GR. There we were ... six of us with the crazy mandate of rescuing some pilots from Georgian rebels holding a farm. It was night, so visibility was restricted by NVGs. The host souded like a 14 year-old kid who was on GR for the first time. We are courteous to him and showed him around, advised on weapons etc. All seemed well.

We sneaked up the hill towards the stream bed when some rebels were spotted on the rise. I dropped to my knee, peered down the telephoto sight and lined up a kill. I got a round off, and was just squeezing the trigger on the second mark, when the host came into my line of fire, filling the whole viewfinder and took my chambered round right in the back of his head.

Now this can happen a lot in GR, and it's hardly intentional, so I apologised, said who I was and thought that was it. How wrong. EVERY time the guy saw me for the rest of the match, he killed me with the comment "Shoot me, I'll shoot you back." What a dork.

Nige.

Caspar
15-07-2003, 12:29
yep, we've all had similar experiences, which is indicative to the articles points.

Which raises and continues the authorââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s perspective on gaming clans. He described that clans exist so like mind individuals....etc.etc...

but he also said clans were 'bad' cause they don't allow you to venture out into the wilderness and find new players...wrong! - in fact you couldn't be more wrong! :spin:

...Hello author...here's a nice bundle of inter-clan matches and forum discussions for you!

I think the author is too narrow minded to objectively comment on the gaming industry as a whole, he sounds like my brother! I wonââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t repeat what he said! lol!...but surmises to the perception that gamers are nerds who wear XBOX t-shirts all the time!!!