PDA

View Full Version : far cry full game, simply amazing

Bulky
26-03-2004, 11:55
went out and bought it today, been playing for half an hour, groundbreakingly brilliant, runs far better than the demo, a must buy, anyone else played it yet ???

Jon M
26-03-2004, 13:00
I'd be interested to hear what you find so good about it?.. (graphics excluded).

Specifics like: gameplay, AI, puzzles, difficulty.. that sort of thing

Bulky
26-03-2004, 15:04
I'd be interested to hear what you find so good about it?.. (graphics excluded).

Specifics like: gameplay, AI, puzzles, difficulty.. that sort of thing

not been playing it long but already hooked, the game physics are amazing, bodies falling off the aircraft carrier and into the sea (really cool ragdoll physics), shooting down the helicopters and looking over the side to see the charred mess sunk to the bottom of the sea,

not really come up against any puzzles, its more of a stealth shooter (at the mo anyway), if the mercs see you they will hunt you down, flank you, there are points where you hear one of them shouting orders (the leader obviously) and if you kill him the rest are at sixes and sevens sometimes running off to regroup, started playing it on normal but went to one harder as it did seem a little easy but now the mercs are cut throat, working in teams :),

ok so u said excluding graphics but come on, this is the best looking game i have ever seen i have everything set on 'very high' 1024x768x32 resolution, 2x anti aliasing and 8x anisotropic filtering and it still runs very nice, never dropping below 30fps (just makes me realise how badly coded halo was for pc as it runs like sh*te and doesn't look nearly as good)
, i realise that graphics do not make a great game but i must admit it feels a whole lot better killing someone when they look so cool and when you shoot them they slump against the wall :)

Jon M
26-03-2004, 15:08
cheers :tu: .. I'm waiting for HL2 before I splash the cash too much.. but this one is a possibility.. some interesting stuff there thanks

Bulky
26-03-2004, 15:57
cheers :tu: .. I'm waiting for HL2 before I splash the cash too much.. but this one is a possibility.. some interesting stuff there thanks

was waiting for hl2 myself, but this is one you have got to buy, it will ease the pain of waiting and for 24.99 its a bargain it just makes me realise how good hl2 is going to be :)

TheBlueRaja
26-03-2004, 16:15
Hmm, its pretty good, gfx are amazing, but the shooting feels a little off. Granted when you do hit something its pretty cool.

I hate how you can unload a clip into someone and they still come at you though. Headshots do the trick though.

And BTW when you get to the "mutuants" there were two in a cage and each one took 7 shots from an M16 at close range in the head before it fell, sorry but thats a joke.

Bulky
26-03-2004, 16:44
And BTW when you get to the "mutuants" there were two in a cage and each one took 7 shots from an M16 at close range in the head before it fell, sorry but thats a joke.

how do u know how many shots it takes to kill a mutant, have u killed one in real life and thats where u're going wrong their brains are actually in their ankles :D :D ;)

TheBlueRaja
26-03-2004, 18:37
how do u know how many shots it takes to kill a mutant, have u killed one in real life and thats where u're going wrong their brains are actually in their ankles :D :D ;)

Like i said i grabbed a couple and threw them in a cage then shot them 1 bullet at a time until they died. Now you know how to take out your neighborhood mutant.

Cheaper than anti-mutuant spray and much more entertaining. :D

jamesclarke555
26-03-2004, 19:15
Far Cry is simply a joy, only played the two demo level's though...

Pre-ordered the full game about a month ago and it never came today :mad:

Bulky
26-03-2004, 19:37
Far Cry is simply a joy, only played the two demo level's though...

Pre-ordered the full game about a month ago and it never came today :mad:

well looking at your system specs your in for a real treat, the full version runs much smoother than the demo :)

jamesclarke555
26-03-2004, 20:03
well looking at your system specs your in for a real treat, the full version runs much smoother than the demo :)
Aye, there not too shabby ;)

Demo ran quite reasonable, but glad to hear they squeezed in some more tweaks before it went gold. Gonna get another GB of RAM soon as well to smooth things over.

Stephen
26-03-2004, 22:09
I should have mine tomorrow. was posted wednesday. Demo is great. really worth getting. Multiplayer is also quite good. I was one of the beta testers.Don't wait for half life get this now. HL" won't be available till summer at least.

SOSAGES
27-03-2004, 15:34
found it looks pretty but to easy - also moving the gun while aimed is too slow ..

some nice ideas but not great

Stephen
27-03-2004, 17:42
Its not that easy at all if you play on the higher difficulty settings. The AI is extremly good, at hunting you down and flanking you and running and getting help. makes the game a lot more challenging. Also most levels have more than one way of getting to the end of the levels.

mrmassive
27-03-2004, 20:59
played it 2 weeks ago completed it nice game great graphics good game play

Tezcatlipoca
07-04-2004, 01:41
Cool. I think I'll get this (now that I finally have a decent PC capable of handling new games) :)

Caspar
13-04-2004, 15:01
ok, I've played this a little over the weekend.... nice game, graphics are amazing :D

The only problem I have is that my save games are missing, went back to it last night and they're gone! I only played it for an hour or so...so it's not a biggie if I have to restart from the beginning, but what's the deal with the missing save games...will I lose them again! :(

Where are the saved games stored on the PC?

Caspar
13-04-2004, 15:15
ok, Neil gave me this link:
http://www.gamingillustrated.com/farcry.php

and it says:

The save game system is a controversial choice, there is no save anywhere, saves are carried out via invisible checkpoints through the level. Not to everyone's taste I know, but so far it hasn't really bothered me.

Well it bothers me! What does it mean...you have to play the whole game start to finish in one sitting, or one load of the game! :confused:

Someone please let me know how they've played this game over several sessions, i.e. put the game down, come back and picked it back up again...

Defiant
13-04-2004, 16:36
ok, Neil gave me this link:
http://www.gamingillustrated.com/farcry.php

and it says:

Well it bothers me! What does it mean...you have to play the whole game start to finish in one sitting, or one load of the game! :confused:

Someone please let me know how they've played this game over several sessions, i.e. put the game down, come back and picked it back up again...
I think there's a reason why the save games work the way they do. I think I found that reason while looking at Gamespy. It seems FarCry is coming out on the XBOX too :D

Caspar
13-04-2004, 16:43
nice :D

..but how do they work...is it level based...or do I have to start from scratch each time I load the game?! :(

Defiant
13-04-2004, 16:45
Not sure only seen this bit http://media.xbox.gamespy.com/media/621/621324/imgs_1.html

Stephen
13-04-2004, 18:01
There are a number of checkpoints per level that save the game once you reach them. I found them ok, but there are parts of the game that are really hard and you have to start at the checkpoint which may be at the start of that section.

Caspar
13-04-2004, 19:38
yeah...I've hit about 5 checkpoints...but when I went back to it last night...all those checkpoints were gone :(

Defiant
13-04-2004, 19:58
yeah...I've hit about 5 checkpoints...but when I went back to it last night...all those checkpoints were gone :(

I think if you try a new game even by accident you loose any saved games

Caspar
13-04-2004, 20:01
not done that.

I'll start again, and see what happens :)

Bulky
14-04-2004, 10:47
not done that.

I'll start again, and see what happens :)

if you go to campaign,load checkpoint, on the left hand side your level will come up, click on the level and then the checkpoints should appear in the right hand side :) , hope this helps, think i've nearly finished this game now :), its amazing and the tridgens are cool best game since half life :) (and even better than that imo :) )

punky
24-04-2004, 23:26
I think the game is awesome and the physics of most of it is pretty damn good. A couple of little spoilers, like, when you drive the boat, you suddenly sprout a third arm which disappears when you leave it. Just nit picking really. The thing that bothers me is that people are basically nearly invincible. I know they wear body armour, so it will take a lot of body shots to take them out, but even when you shoot them in the head, it still takes a lot. I don't know if its intentional or not, but sometimes when you get the old "Dead Man's Click" (out of ammo), sometimes they just stand there while you reload and shoot them. Nice of them, but not that challenging. I don't think mercenaries would intentionally hesitate as they are supposed to be highly trained. The scientists would though. The save game thing is a bit annoying as you don't know when you will get armour/health next, so I find if i get shot once or two, i'll keep reloading it until I get through it practically without being hit. And the you find loads of first aid boxes and armour a few feet away.

It is an amazing game though. Highly Recommend it, don't let those things put you off. It's very playable.

TheBlueRaja
24-04-2004, 23:30
You need 1Gig of memory if you want to use High or Very High res textures, just a FYI.

Richard M
04-05-2004, 15:03
Oh

my

god

What a game!
I bought this on Saturday and spent most of the weekend playing it.
At first I thought it was a typical jungle warfare type of game but it's much, much more than that.
It starts off in the stunning beach/jungle areas but it evolves into something closely resembling Doom III with it's swinging dynamic lights, spooky shadows and strange creatures that suddenly jump at you, slashing with their claws.
I've never felt true fear in a game since Resident Evil on the PSX and this game brings it right back.

The AI and game engine is stunning, virtually everything can be interacted with like you can in Half Life 2 which means that something being knocked into something else will also move that object; for example, a shotgun blast against a filing cabinet.

The graphics are out of this world, I've never seen graphics this good - they are almost Half Life 2/Doom III standard, in fact, this is a game which will satisfy that craving for Doom because it's so similar.
The steam effects are stunning but you'll need a fully DirectX 9 compliant card to make the most of the amazing pixelshader effects.

It has a few bugs though, the worst of which is the sound which is pretty good in 5.1 on my SB Audigy 2 ZS 7.1/Creative Gigaworks 350 7.1 combo but after a few hourse of play it makes unpleasant crackling and pops. I hope they fix this with a patch. :(
This is still one of the best games I've played since Call Of Duty came out though.
Anyway, on to the screenshots!

This one demonstrates the stunning beach scene by moonlight:
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(5).jpg

Nice doggy, good doggy! :eek:
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(26).jpg

Stunning steam effect, like heat haze:
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(31).jpg

Welcome to paradise:
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(55).jpg

Sun UltraSPARC servers!
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(66).jpg

Getting ripped to shreds:
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(70).jpg

Doom III, anyone?
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(39).jpg

I have uploaded over 70 grabs at 1024x768 on the link below and no, I'm not using AA because my Radeon 9600XT struggles enough as it is!
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/ (average 300K each)

Richard M
01-05-2005, 05:34
*bump*
I reinstalled this game today after not playing it for about a year and Jesus H Christ - I was really missing something!
It runs lovely on Windows x64, my experience of the game is even better now because last time I was running an Athlon 3200+ with a Radeon 9600XT - this time around it's an Athlon64 FX-53 with a 9800Pro which is a vast improvement.
Playing it again just proves to me that the top 3 games ever made are:

1) Half Life 2
2) Far Cry
3) Doom III

This screenshot still looks great, even though it's a year old:
http://www.richardm.co.uk/images/forums_etc/Far%20Cry%20Grabs/FarCry%20(5).jpg

jtwn
01-05-2005, 11:21
Yeah, i always remember farcry's graphics from that night level perched up there, it does look amazing. But Doom3 #3? Pah....i think you need to play Max Payne 2 ;)

gooner4life
01-05-2005, 15:01
Im also a massive FarCry fan.

Also it runs amazingly well on my old system and also on my laptop, Doom3 judders a fair bit and you cant even see the nice textures as its so dark, for me Half Life 2 and FarCry are the most visually stunning games to date, although I enjoyed FarCry more than HL2.

Graham M
01-05-2005, 15:10
although I enjoyed FarCry more than HL2.

:erm:

lucadam
01-05-2005, 18:50
i've played both, farcry and hl2. i have to say farcry is much more enjoyable, but the grapics on hl2 are amazing

jamesclarke555
01-05-2005, 19:12
Hey Rich, you got x64 RTM build?

Richard M
02-05-2005, 08:28
Hey Rich, you got x64 RTM build?

Yep - full 100%, certified, final-build, totally complete, Windows XP Pro x64 Edition. :)
Now that ATI have released true and proper drivers I've had no problems with it - it's lovely, and it's extremely responsive. :)

jamesclarke555
02-05-2005, 09:58
Yep - full 100%, certified, final-build, totally complete, Windows XP Pro x64 Edition. :)
Now that ATI have released true and proper drivers I've had no problems with it - it's lovely, and it's extremely responsive. :)

Might have to try it out, although I didn't think much to RC2 to be honest, especially since Chaos Theory wouldn't work :(

It's a shame MS are touting x64 as more of a workstation OS, especially when games run with a higher minimum FPS on x64.

Ramrod
02-05-2005, 10:49
Yep - full 100%, certified, final-build, totally complete, Windows XP Pro x64 Edition. :)When is that available to plebs like me?

zing_deleted
02-05-2005, 13:29
you can get a 120 day trial off microsoft on there site now

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx

just make sure you got the drivers you need\or dual boot

Ramrod
02-05-2005, 18:04
you can get a 120 day trial off microsoft on there site now

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx

just make sure you got the drivers you need\or dual bootAnd what happens after 120 days? :disturbd:

paulyoung666
02-05-2005, 18:09
And what happens after 120 days? :disturbd:

no os :erm: , i would assume :D :D :D

zing_deleted
02-05-2005, 18:16
I would imagine you pay and get it reactivated

Richard M
02-05-2005, 18:34
If you're going to install XP x64, remember these things:

- You can upgrade for free if you run XP 32, see microsoft.com for details.
- If you do the above you give up your license for XP 32 so you cannot dual boot unless you have another copy of XP or 2000.
- Did I mention that Crytek are releasing a 64-bit version of Far Cry? :D

Ramrod
02-05-2005, 18:40
Upgrade for free....... Right now?........XP64 is gold? :erm:

punky
02-05-2005, 18:42
Just thought i'd point it out... Far Cry is now £10 delivered from www.play.com

And apparently there is an expansion pack coming out for Far Cry in august :hyper:

Richard M
02-05-2005, 18:58
Upgrade for free....... Right now?........XP64 is gold? :erm:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx :D :D

zing_deleted
02-05-2005, 19:22
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/upgrade/default.mspx
The Technology Advancement Program is designed to assist customers who have acquired a new x64 Computer with the intention of replacing a previously licensed 32-bit version of Microsoft ® Windows XP Professional (1-2 Processor Version) Microsoft ® Windows XP Professional (1-4 Processor Version and Microsoft ® Windows XP Professional Reduced Media Edition (1-2 Processor Version) (â₠œWindows XP Pro (32 Bit)ââ‚ ¬Ã‚) with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on such system. This program allows customers to exchange a license for Windows XP Pro (32 Bit)for the new version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

The offer is restricted to people with xp professional
I also believe it would have needed to be installed on a 64 ready machine

lucadam
03-05-2005, 11:33
can anyone give me any advice, is a p4 2.4 prescott worth getting to replace my celeron d 2.4. i mainley play games, many thanks if you can help

Gareth
03-05-2005, 12:58
No offence, lucadam, but you've posted this question in 2 different threads that I've read, and neither of them were relevant to your question. If I was you, I'd click the New Thread button instead of posting a reply to somebody else's thread. You'll get a much better chance of a reply by doing that.