Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 01-01-2017, 18:59   #1051
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Yes. We gave up subsidising others viewing years ago. Can't remember when a TVL bozo last called.
One visited me on Christmas eve of all days, i gladly allowed him to check i know i didn't have too but his face dropped quicker than the titanic when he saw not even a ariel was connected and it was clear i only watch on demand (although not legally in some cases lol). He tried to get me to sign a form i declined and sent him on his way without his £20 commision.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2017, 19:11   #1052
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

The alligators in the pit are getting quite restive. They've not tasted TVL man for quite a while.
Old 01-01-2017, 19:37   #1053
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
One visited me on Christmas eve of all days, i gladly allowed him to check i know i didn't have too but his face dropped quicker than the titanic when he saw not even a ariel was connected and it was clear i only watch on demand (although not legally in some cases lol). He tried to get me to sign a form i declined and sent him on his way without his £20 commision.
Just for info for those that don't know, the law did change and you must now have a licence if you watch any BBC content at all, ie live, streamed or on-demand.
Old 01-01-2017, 19:44   #1054
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
My prediction is in the near future the UK will adopt what some other countries are doing regarding a tv license, the cost will get added in taxes.
But imo BBC should be subscription not force a fee upon us, we choose if to buy products or not the comercial channels advertise they don't send sales reps (yes tv license officers are just that sales reps) to try and intimidate us into buying their product, nor do itv,ch4 etc send threatening letters that are designed to cause alarm and distress in the way they are worded, BBC should go subscription or advertise like everyone else does.
It'll probably end up part subscription and part funded by the Government for the public service broadcasting element. In this way, the subscription would not have to rise above the existing licence fee level, despite fewer people paying into it.

Whether or not an advertising option will be part of the solution for those who are just about managing, or do not wish to pay, we will have to see.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 19:46   #1055
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Just for info for those that don't know, the law did change and you must now have a licence if you watch any BBC content at all, ie live, streamed or on-demand.
Yeah i should of mentioned that tbf if you use iplayer you do need a license and your device will now ask if you have a valid tv license.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 19:50   #1056
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Yeah i should of mentioned that tbf if you use iplayer you do need a license and your device will now ask if you have a valid tv license.
Yep. If you want to watch anything the Brussels Broadcasting Company wants to put on.
Old 01-01-2017, 20:41   #1057
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I think that scraping licence fee or an alternate way of public funding is very short sighted, and would lead to an American style TV system. Quality Drama and the broad spectrum of minority interest viewing that the BBC produces would only be available via a pay TV, not to mention the educational output the BBC produces.

Considering the vast services that the BBC produces; TV, Radio, news, web services etc. I think it's a bargain at around £12/month. And I do understand, that for some people, that is difficult to afford. But the alternative would be more expensive.

It's public service broadcasting. And, with all public service provisions, not everyone benefits from a specific service. But for the country as a whole, it's a good and necessary service.
Depending on what side of the bed I full out of each day, I agree with you fully.... and disagree fully.

The BBC does produce a vast amount for that £12 and that model could not be replicated through private means. But a bit like "buy one, get one free" deals in supermarkets, its only a bargain if you use everything you buy. So if you watch the BBC all the time, listen to their radio, use the website, it is a massive bargain, if you use those services...

I was a massive advocate for the BBC and ITV, CH4 and public service broadcasting in general. Then Rupert Murdoch came along...and it all changed.

The quality of programming on the main channels dropped immensely as viewers turned to the multitude of channels on offer and the likes of ITV could not get the kinds of revenue through advertising that they once commanded.

But of course the BBC is NOT funded through advertising, so regardless of Murdoch, satellite, cable, streaming etc. The BBC's revenue is protected.

The original argument that used to be made for maintaining a public service model was that original British content would still be produced. But did the BBC make Game of Thrones, the world's most popular tv show which uses mostly British actors and staff? No. Did the BBC make THe Crown? No.

I think the public service argument has now turned to dust and so should the licence fee, but I agree we would end up with American style tv. Except, that we already did, it happened about 20+ years ago.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
BBC is PayTV - as you say costs around £12 pm.

The difference is you can choose to subscribe to sky, BT, virgin etc whilst legally there is no choice but to pay license fee or not watch tv at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Costs me nothing - entirely your choice if you watch ads or not and entirely your choice if you buy things you see in ads.

My point was lack of personal choice re funding of BBC - it ought to stand on it's own 2 feet even if that means having ads the same as ITV.
Exactly.

The same arguments are still raging about all the "arts" especially here in London. Ballet, opera etc, isn't it all wonderful? Wouldn't life be terrible without it....?

Well, for those that like that stuff, fair enough. But then they should pay for for it, the full cost of it, not be funded by government handouts.

The real biggie coming and its nothing to do with TV, but exactly the same theme is with the NHS. In effect, do the healthy keep subsiding the unhealthy, even when the unhealthy make no effort to change to make themselves healthy?

Just wait for the fireworks to start on that...

Last edited by Horizon; 01-01-2017 at 20:47.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 21:57   #1058
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The real biggie coming and its nothing to do with TV, but exactly the same theme is with the NHS. In effect, do the healthy keep subsiding the unhealthy, even when the unhealthy make no effort to change to make themselves healthy?

Just wait for the fireworks to start on that...
Bingo.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:23   #1059
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Contrary to the belief that has been expressed on these forums, it appears that the vast majority (98%) of OTT viewing is by way of smart TVs - not via mobile devices.

http://www.csimagazine.com/csi/OTT-s...nce-report.php

UK OTT viewing remains an in-home experience - study

A new study looking at how UK consumers are viewing online programmes shows that most often this behaviour is not yet done over mobile devices, with 98% of OTT content viewed at home.

The latest report from GfK clearly shows there is still a large untapped potential to download content onto mobile. It reveals surprisingly low audience numbers on these devices, despite the fact that 90% of the UK’s OTT users have access to a smartphone and/or tablet. (The study only takes into account the three main long-form streaming services and not the likes of YouTube, see below).

Only 4% of OTT subscribers said they used a smartphone to view content and just 10% used a tablet, even though the penetration is greater than internet-enabled games consoles (60%), set-top box (54%) and smart TV (52%).

Moreover, time spent watching on a mobile device is two hours less than time spent on other devices. Smart TVs are the most popular device to watch subscription movies and TV programmes.

Viewers are also almost unanimous in their preference to watch that content at home. Overall, 98% of all content is viewed at home and 86% of all content viewed on a mobile device is also watched at home.

As well as the small screen, one of the challenges with watching OTT content on a smartphone is inadequate data usage allowances. This is why Neflix is offering 'download and watch-on-the go' now, the research firm suggests. Along with Amazon, the SVoD services are yet to transform OTT viewing from an activity done solely at home on a TV to one also done on the move on mobile devices, but this may now start to slowly change.

Time spent watching hh:mm per device
Devices used to view content Netflix Amazon Now TV
Desktop PC 4:11 3:12 3:09
Laptop or netbook 5:00 3:47 3:01
Smart TV (TV with built-in internet capability) 5:21 4:08 4:28
Internet-connected TV (A TV that uses another device to connect to the internet e.g. games console or set-top box) 5:13 4:03 4:49
Smartphone 2:48 2:26 2:06
Tablet 3:53 3:03 2:39
Source: GfK SVOD Content Consumption Tracker April 2015 to October 2016

GfK surveyed 17,982 respondents between April 2015 and October 2016. They completed an initial profiling questionnaire collecting demographics, services subscribed to, general viewing behaviour and device ownership. Data has been weighted to be representative of the UK profile of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Now TV users by age and gender.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 03-01-2017 at 09:26.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:10   #1060
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I'm not sure why that statistic is supposed to be surprising. A poky little phone screen is no substitute for the whopper in the corner of your living room. If it's a toss up between immediate viewing on a screen that's 10" or less, or deferral in order to watch it on something at least three times bigger, on a sofa, without getting a crick in my neck ... well it's a no brainer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:16   #1061
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm not sure why that statistic is supposed to be surprising. A poky little phone screen is no substitute for the whopper in the corner of your living room. If it's a toss up between immediate viewing on a screen that's 10" or less, or deferral in order to watch it on something at least three times bigger, on a sofa, without getting a crick in my neck ... well it's a no brainer.
Totally agree. There's nothing quite like watching on a large screen.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:35   #1062
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Totally agree. There's nothing quite like watching on a large screen.
On that we can agree as l tried it once on my phone and that bears no comparison compared to a much bigger screen.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:04   #1063
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
On that we can agree as l tried it once on my phone and that bears no comparison compared to a much bigger screen.
But then they aren't meant to replace a TV I'm sure viewing on phones/tablets is predominantly used for things like commutes , in bed viewing or with children who may not have a tv set in their room.

Last edited by muppetman11; 03-01-2017 at 12:12.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 00:56   #1064
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
The original argument that used to be made for maintaining a public service model was that original British content would still be produced. But did the BBC make Game of Thrones, the world's most popular tv show which uses mostly British actors and staff? No. Did the BBC make THe Crown? No.
Instead we get stuff like The Night Manager, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Rillington Place, Happy Valley and nature docs like Planet Earth II. Ok, maybe they don't match the absolute best from the US, like Game of Thrones, but shows like that only come along every couple of years.

Also, if it means that I don't have to sit (or fast forward) through 15 minutes of adverts for every hour of TV programming, I'm quite happy to pay the license fee. I understand that not everyone thinks this way, but for those of us that do, it holds a place next to the NHS as institutions we want to keep as they are.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:51   #1065
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbryanw View Post
Instead we get stuff like The Night Manager, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Rillington Place, Happy Valley and nature docs like Planet Earth II. Ok, maybe they don't match the absolute best from the US, like Game of Thrones, but shows like that only come along every couple of years.

Also, if it means that I don't have to sit (or fast forward) through 15 minutes of adverts for every hour of TV programming, I'm quite happy to pay the license fee. I understand that not everyone thinks this way, but for those of us that do, it holds a place next to the NHS as institutions we want to keep as they are.

Well Said.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote