Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 24-09-2015, 00:23   #406
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Personally I'd question him with Apples track record on streaming tv boxes , they've hardly stood out from the competition have they.

Apps on tv it's hardly something new is it.
Agreed, MM, but he's in the business, and I think there are plenty who are in the business who would agree with him.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2015, 00:25   #407
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Too many devices out there for my liking, keep it simple, makes it easier for the end user.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 00:27   #408
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Too many devices out there for my liking, keep it simple, makes it easier for the end user.....
I agree . All streaming services should be on the Tivo box! We all know it makes sense!!
Old 24-09-2015, 01:27   #409
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree . All streaming services should be on the Tivo box! We all know it makes sense!!
But the tivo box struggles with iplayer and netflix so it won't have chance with half the apps the firetv runs
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 15:28   #410
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
But the tivo box struggles with iplayer and netflix so it won't have chance with half the apps the firetv runs
The Tivo is certainly slower these days, but whether this is to do with the number of streaming services or not, I have no idea.

I think the priority now for VM should be on rolling out an updated Tivo connected to the cloud for recordings with as many streaming services as possible on it, such as Amazon and Now TV. This would provide Virgin subscribers with maximum TV content unrivalled by any other UK provider.
Old 24-09-2015, 15:33   #411
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I was interested to read in The Sunday Times that Tim Cook (the Chief Executive of Apple) has stated that in his view "the future of television is apps".

He believes that instead of flicking through channels, consumers will 'increasingly look to a variety of apps when they sit down in front of the TV set'. It states in the Times article that the power that TV channels currently wield through their programming schedules will disappear. Although Sky and other commercials are safe for the time being, 'the long term threat to Britain's biggest commercial broadcasters is plain. The impact of the interlopers has been most keenly felt across the Atlantic. Americans have become used to buying expensive cable TV packages, because the country has so few quality free to air channels, such as BBC and ITV. Many households are severing cable contracts costing $100 a month or more in favour of the slimmed down deals from Amazon and Netflix'.

This is exactly what I have been predicting will happen here unless the terrestrial commercial channels pull some rabbits out of hats.

You heard it here first!
Doubtless you will repeating this ad nauseam then in the coming years old boy.
Old 24-09-2015, 15:35   #412
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Doubtless you will repeating this ad nauseam then in the coming years old boy.
I'll try not to be so tiresome!
Old 24-09-2015, 16:45   #413
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The Tivo is certainly slower these days, but whether this is to do with the number of streaming services or not, I have no idea.

I think the priority now for VM should be on rolling out an updated Tivo connected to the cloud for recordings with as many streaming services as possible on it, such as Amazon and Now TV. This would provide Virgin subscribers with maximum TV content unrivalled by any other UK provider.
Nowtv will never be on vms Tivo box it is not in VMs interest to have it on their device.
Amazon is a possibility but not for a very long time i feel.
Old 24-09-2015, 17:08   #414
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I was interested to read in The Sunday Times that Tim Cook (the Chief Executive of Apple) has stated that in his view "the future of television is apps".

He believes that instead of flicking through channels, consumers will 'increasingly look to a variety of apps when they sit down in front of the TV set'. It states in the Times article that the power that TV channels currently wield through their programming schedules will disappear. Although Sky and other commercials are safe for the time being, 'the long term threat to Britain's biggest commercial broadcasters is plain. The impact of the interlopers has been most keenly felt across the Atlantic. Americans have become used to buying expensive cable TV packages, because the country has so few quality free to air channels, such as BBC and ITV. Many households are severing cable contracts costing $100 a month or more in favour of the slimmed down deals from Amazon and Netflix'.

This is exactly what I have been predicting will happen here unless the terrestrial commercial channels pull some rabbits out of hats.

You heard it here first!
Please explain to me how I'm going to be better off in your world ?

As it stands now I can use the EPG or search On Demand and find whatever I want to watch easily , in your world of individual On Demand players things seem rather more long winded not to mention potentially more costly.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 17:29   #415
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Nowtv will never be on vms Tivo box it is not in VMs interest to have it on their device.
Amazon is a possibility but not for a very long time i feel.
I do think that it would be in VM's interests because then there would be less pressure for viewers to go to Sky for the channels we don't get but are 'must have' channels.

It's a good solution because those who don't want to pay extra for those channels don't have to, and those who want to stay with Virgin and are prepared to pay extra (for Now TV) can do so.
Old 24-09-2015, 17:34   #416
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
I do think that it would be in VM's interests because then there would be less pressure for viewers to go to Sky for the channels we don't get but are 'must have' channels.

It's a good solution because those who don't want to pay extra for those channels don't have to, and those who want to stay with Virgin and are prepared to pay extra (for Now TV) can do so.
I'll eat my hat if Nowtv ever shows up on vms tivo.
Old 24-09-2015, 17:39   #417
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Please explain to me how I'm going to be better off in your world ?

As it stands now I can use the EPG or search On Demand and find whatever I want to watch easily, in your world of individual On Demand players things seem rather more long winded not to mention potentially more costly.
The linear channels are safe in the short to medium term, but the crunch will almost certainly come eventually.

You describe it as 'my world' and I admit that I am comfortable with it as I no longer watch broadcast TV live, but I am not wishing this on everyone. I'm simply stating what I believe is the way we are going.

In terms of your question, I have to say that it would take me ages to select a programme I would want to watch at a specific time from my EPG and I can find stuff from Netflix pretty quickly.

A set top box designed to carry different streaming services would have advanced search facilities that would assist you in finding the types of programme you were looking for. It would also keep track on where you were in any given series (as Netflix and Amazon do very efficiently already).
Old 24-09-2015, 17:41   #418
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I'll eat my hat if Nowtv ever shows up on vms tivo.
It won't.....
Old 24-09-2015, 17:43   #419
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
It won't.....
Exactly mate i know my hat is safe.
Old 24-09-2015, 17:43   #420
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It won't.....
In your humble opinion, Den!