Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What's your preferred network setup?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What's your preferred network setup?

Old 05-07-2007, 12:44   #1
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age
What's your preferred network setup?

Currently we're on the 20mb VM Cable service, which is shared between 3 pc's and a laptop.

We have a mix of Wireless and ethernet over power lines.

I'm a little...or rather, I'm somewhat concerned about Wireless security

We run on the highest security available (WPA 2/AES), but after reading variou articles on the internet, even that, is crack/hackable.

So I'm curious, what does everyone else here use to connect to the internet?

I'm not sure what to use right now, it's either....

(a) Wireless
I connect at 108mpbs, so get the full benefit of 20mpbs cable internet speed..
(B) Ethernet over powerlines
I connect at 100mpbs, but the actuall transfer rate, is anywhere between 12-14mpbs (It's the early/cheap version of ethernet over power lines)
(c) Direct wired
Obviously, I'd get 100mpbs and full 20mpbs cable internet speed

Of course, there's ups and downs for all involved

Wireless, I'm worried about security (And occasional disconnect issues)
Ethernet over power, would mean buying two new adapters to go beyond the 12-14mpbs, which is damned expensive
Direct wired/ethernet, cheap, but means trailing cables every where, or drilling holes through the ceilings etc.

So again, what would you go for? and do you consider wireless' vunerabilities....worth worrying about?
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2007, 12:57   #2
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age
Re: What's your preferred network setup?

EVERYTHING is hackable.

Don't be too hep up on computer security.

Think to yourself - Who would someone want to hack me and what are the likely to achieve in doing so?

If you are worried, change your SSID regularly, run a software firewall on your machine to compliment any hardware firewall.

Don't use WEP, it can be hacked in minutes - WPA is much much more secure but as you said can be penetrated.

What's the range of your wireless? do you really suspect one of your neighbours to be a hacker kid and try day and night to get into your broadband line?
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:59   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

A Wired network will always be your safest option if security is your priority.
I assume you have firewalls in place and relevant anti spyware / Virus, etc tools on your systems too.

It is indeed the cheapest sollution.
I but my ethernet cable from www.cableuniverse.co.uk and have always found the prices to be good and great delivery service.

You could wire up the easiest places and then for areas that are harder to link up, use the current ethernet power adapters you have.

If you say that you are using the highest security on your wireless at the moment, you change passwords regularly, it is unlikely that someone will single out your computer to hack on purpose.
Often, people find that they have accessed other people's networks accidentally.

However, if you want almost total peace of mind, go wired.
Nothing will be 100% unhackable though.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 13:23   #4
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

And remember that each cable carries 100mbps in each direction simultaneously. If you have a switch in the middle of four PCs then that makes 2 x 4 x 100 = 800mbps. Whereas, wireless is only 108mbps if you're lucky.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 23:18   #5
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

I wouldn't be too worried about WiFi security, as long as yours is better than your neighbour, you are OK.

There are so many people who buy a router from PCWorld (other stores are available) and just plug it in totaly unaware of it being 100% available and unencrypted to anyone who passes within range, that your average WiFi thief just wont bother cracking anything greater then WEP because it's easyer / quicker just to move along to the next hot spot.

Here at home, I have a cabel modem hooked up to a Windows 2000 PC with internet being shared over 100M ethernet to a 3com managed switch.
Plugged into the switch are 4 PC's and a Belkin wireless access point.
The Belkin has SSID off and WPA security enabled and is powered off when not in use.

HTH
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:02   #6
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Thanks all for the feedback.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote