Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Eurozone will collapse...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Eurozone will collapse...

Old 22-12-2011, 17:23   #466
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Eurozone will collapse...

no

I said the fact its both american and a private company and especially one that in my view has acted wrongfully in the past makes the change of ratings dodgy also with the warning france had a swell. Both of these events happened shortly after the uk using its veto.

So when I said if it was a eu agency would I agree with it been dodgy that would be under the basis of a eu agency gave greece a triple AAA rating, I would find that dodgy.

Given economically we are worse off than france I think the france finance minister was right on his comments, and the only reason I think we didnt get the same warning was our better relationship with america so in my eyes was political.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2011, 17:42   #467
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
no

I said the fact its both american and a private company and especially one that in my view has acted wrongfully in the past makes the change of ratings dodgy also with the warning france had a swell. Both of these events happened shortly after the uk using its veto.

So when I said if it was a eu agency would I agree with it been dodgy that would be under the basis of a eu agency gave greece a triple AAA rating, I would find that dodgy.

Given economically we are worse off than france I think the france finance minister was right on his comments, and the only reason I think we didnt get the same warning was our better relationship with america so in my eyes was political.
So it is about it being an American company again then?

You only added the bit about S&P's previous 'mistakes' in your second post after I'd posted the wikipedia link. Your OP only stated you were sceptical about an American private company.......'

So how does the UK's better political relationship with the US percolate through to S&P giving us a better rating than we deserve? Is that down to the company or the US Govt or both and how would it serve either to do that whilst downgrading the US rating which is far more important to both?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 17:44   #468
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

There sooner it all collapses the better so we can start to rebuild .

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 17:58   #469
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The ratings are not so such about any current financial situation, but about the prospects for any money to be paid back in the future. If a government can clearly show that they have at least the will to tackle any issues, then they will be rated more favourably. People striking or rioting (eg in Greece) because they don't like what is required, will not help any situation. That would also adversely affect any confidence to invest.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 15:27   #470
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

I found this an interesting read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16305731

Quote:
It is a feature of the year past how quickly old stereotypes have re-emerged, with cartoons and pictures in many different countries depicting Angela Merkel as a Prussian, as Bismarck or even Hitler.

Chancellor Merkel has called for "more Europe". While leaders accept this when sitting around a big table in Brussels they find it far harder to sell back home.

There is strong debate in some countries over seeing some sovereignty over tax and spending plans transferred to European officials. "Sovereignty" or "who governs France" may well become an issue in the forthcoming French elections.
Old 31-12-2011, 14:30   #471
Osem
Inactive

.... and things are even getting tough in Switzerland where their 'safe bet' currency has risen sharply creating massive problems for exporters.

Quote:
Outsider Switzerland feels Europe's pain
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16354048
Old 05-01-2012, 08:03   #472
Osem
Inactive

This is an interesting, if worrying, read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16412705

Quote:
Greece, with its unelected leader, is marching to the EU/IMF tune. The Greek economy this year will contract by a further 3%, having shrunk 6% last year. Its retail sales are down 30%. A quarter of small businesses and shops are closing. There are large withdrawals of funds and much of the money is being moved out of the country.

Then there's resentment towards Germany:

Quote:
Already there is resentment towards Germany for trying to shape other eurozone economies to its own economic model. There are signs that the currency that was supposed to further unite Europe is sowing new divisions.
and resentment within Germany:

Quote:
Berlin increasingly has the feel of Europe's capital. For the moment the political class is committed to defending the euro. What is still unclear is what price Germany is prepared to pay to keep the eurozone together. Bild - its best-selling paper - had this headline last year: "They all want our money".
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01   #473
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
This is an interesting, if worrying, read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16412705

Then there's resentment towards Germany:

and resentment within Germany:
god knows what will happen in Europe this year!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00   #474
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Well, Tottenham are unlikely to be there....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00   #475
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, Tottenham are unlikely to be there....
what do you mean?
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 21:28   #476
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

This might be interesting, Daniel Hannan. I obviously agree, but I would love to see if anyone offers up any counter arguments?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 21:42   #477
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Even by the recent standards of the eurozone, Friday 13 January has been a messy day.

What may turn out to be most important is that the Greek government moved nearer to a formal default on what it owes, as talks collapsed between the Greek premier, Lucas Papademos, and representatives of banks on a voluntary 50% reduction on what they are repaid.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16556860

Some of those 'rock solid' Eurozone banks are going to have to take a major 'haircut'*....

* http://financial-dictionary.thefreed...ry.com/Haircut
Old 13-01-2012, 22:16   #478
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Eurozone will collapse...

The problem for the Eurozone is that you have economies of varying strengths trying to maintain the Euro.

The matter is made worse by the debts of some of the weaker economies and the fact that the stronger economies are having to bail them out.

It would be simpler if they recognized the fact that the Euro was dead and allowed all economies to return to their original currencies at a level they could easily support.

Countries like Greece are just going to have reduce their spending and learn to live within their means like everybody else.

Trying to maintain the Euro is likely to end up dragging down all the other economies and if that happens the Eurozone will not be salvageable.
ntluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 10:32   #479
Osem
Inactive

If so, perhaps they could play them a tape of Harold Wilson explaining that their currencies are going to be devalued but that doesn't mean the money in their pockets will be worth less....

For anyone too young to remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQnpoGBS1I
Old 14-01-2012, 10:50   #480
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
If so, perhaps they could play them a tape of Harold Wilson explaining that their currencies are going to be devalued but that doesn't mean the money in their pockets will be worth less....

For anyone too young to remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIQnpoGBS1I
i cried when my pocket money couldn't buy a lucky bag anymore