Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

Old 27-05-2011, 11:02   #61
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Cant Get Cable? - Maybe We Can Help!

JDSP I have asked the team to email you with a response.

Cheers

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2011, 15:33   #62
pepper6981
Inactive

pepper6981 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved house less than a mile up the road and cannot get Virgin - we reverted to SKY but because we now live next to trees this is a complete nightmare and I hate the servcie from SKY anyway. I contacted Virgin they advise no plans for our street , however houses at the bottom seem to have it and we keep getting fliers through the post for the full packages from virgin, are they doing any new streets we are in Edinburgh EH13 9NZ.
pepper6981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:16   #63
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

Why doesn't VM gets it's finger out of it's arese and put some fibre down in Chester before I move there. They have fibre in Ellesmere port which is only a few miles away, Birkenhean and they even have it in Flint but not Chester, why is this. Surely Chester would be a great place to stick fibre as it is very affluent so loads of people would snap up the 100Mb service.

Are there any plans to introduce fibre to chester?
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 23:59   #64
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

No, ther aren't. They may fill in missing streets within their network over the next few years but they're not going to build into any entirely new locations. It's just too expensive.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 19:21   #65
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post
Why doesn't VM gets it's finger out of it's arese and put some fibre down in Chester before I move there. They have fibre in Ellesmere port which is only a few miles away, Birkenhean and they even have it in Flint but not Chester, why is this. Surely Chester would be a great place to stick fibre as it is very affluent so loads of people would snap up the 100Mb service.

I'm sure they aren't allowed to dig up the roads in Chester... the original cable companies didn't try anyway.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 20:35   #66
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Chester is a World Heritage site so it would be very unlikely for them to allow a cable company to dig roads and lay cable.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 22:18   #67
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Chester is a World Heritage site so it would be very unlikely for them to allow a cable company to dig roads and lay cable.
True, but they still dig the road up for water works etc.
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 22:24   #68
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Trust me, there are parts of Chester where 'heritage' is the last word that springs to mind. Plenty of places where VM could lay cable, if they were minded to do any completely new build.
Old 29-05-2011, 22:32   #69
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BomberAF View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I'm sure they aren't allowed to dig up the roads in Chester... the original cable companies didn't try anyway.

Nynex was refused access to Chester when the build was at its height in the North West. It was the council putting barriers in there way to do with the dig that killed it off. I know of no plan's at present to try again.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 16:48   #70
Gareth123
Inactive

Gareth123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, not sure if it falls under your area as I am in the south (Farnborough) but you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I am in a small cul-de-sac with no cable, the main road 35m from my house has full virgin cable, I have contacted: cable my street at virgin and they have said it is possible to cable me!! yay!

But, there is a £600 cost and they will only pay £300, not a problem I have said I will pay the extra £300 as a one off, seems fair I am paying for a service I want.
The reply I got was there is no budget, contact us again in 2012. Is that right even when I have offered to pay the difference and sign up to a long contract??

Thank you in advance
Gareth
Gareth123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 17:07   #71
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Every business hands out annual budgets to each of its departments. While the 'cable my street' department is willing to cable your street for you, it would appear that it has already spent its budget for this year.

Sounds like a case of willing, but unable. It may be worth contacting them again to find out when they plan to start scheduling projects to be paid out of their 2012 budget so you can be in touch at the right time to get your street at the top of their list.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:47   #72
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth123 View Post
Hi, not sure if it falls under your area as I am in the south (Farnborough) but you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I am in a small cul-de-sac with no cable, the main road 35m from my house has full virgin cable, I have contacted: cable my street at virgin and they have said it is possible to cable me!! yay!

But, there is a £600 cost and they will only pay £300, not a problem I have said I will pay the extra £300 as a one off, seems fair I am paying for a service I want.
The reply I got was there is no budget, contact us again in 2012. Is that right even when I have offered to pay the difference and sign up to a long contract??

Thank you in advance
Gareth
Yes Gareth this is correct, give the team an email again and get them to explain this for you.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 17:58   #73
snakedoctor
Inactive

snakedoctor is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know if there's any plans for VM to lay cables in the (NE15 6) part of Newcastle upon tyne? There's a massive housing regeneration scheme going on there for the next few years and it would seem like a good time.
snakedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 22:36   #74
Airwaves
Inactive

Services: Sky +, Freesat, Sky Broadband Unlimited.
Airwaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Airwaves

Just want to try and get some clarification on what 'infill' actually means here. Where I live the nearest cabled area is half a mile away in one direction and about the same distance in the other. As I'm between the two does that class my area as 'infill'. I've been informed that running through where I am is the link to the two separate networks. The main road a stones throw away has CATV manholes and the tarmac track/black cap arrangement but no service is available so that must be where the linking between the two is run.

Just interested to know if there is any chance my location is likely to be added to the network or not at some stage.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:33   #75
mikeey2
Inactive

mikeey2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Would you be able to help for a business install. have spoken to a sales and across the road has cable and telephone but we only have telephone.

Seriously looking at the new business 50Mb Internet.

In Stockton-on-Tees if that helps.

Cheers
Michael
mikeey2 is offline   Reply With Quote