Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Milton Keynes Cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Milton Keynes Cable

Old 03-04-2009, 16:25   #46
neilgl
Inactive

neilgl is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Milton Keynes Cable

Letter has arrived re £1.25 paper billing charge....

"We will not know if this charge will appear on your account until after 1st May...."

Seems strange that they don't know what their own billing system will do but hey-ho

I will post an update later.
neilgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2009, 20:22   #47
RyanB
Inactive

Services: Triple XL50 V+PVR/HD. FreeView.
RyanB is on a distinguished roadRyanB is on a distinguished road

What you are describing for MK sounds a bit like what my Dad had in the mid 80's...
In Barrow (in Cumbria) there was a company called rediffusion and their system was a cable system that you could get the radio and TV on (with a switch on the window sill that fed to the TV set). It got switched off at some point and a chap knocked at the door to say that they were switching it back on and you can get 6 new channels. You got sky channel, childrens channel and a sports channel (eurosport?) from what i can remember.

eventually they came back around a few years later and said that you will need a Cable Ready TV set (one with UHF and VHF tuners). They removed the switch on the window sill and plugged the cable into the TV set. that worked for a bit before they increased the signal coming from the local TV transmitter and then it just went off... my Dad still has the Sony Cable Ready TV in his loft...

Did anyone else have that?

EDIT: just found the link for it:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...ad.php?t=64039
http://www.rediffusion-television.co.uk/

I called my Dad who said it was called Starview and was early SKY TV. It ended in 1988 when some fella cut the wire down the street. He also said it cost £400 for the TV set...
RyanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 00:59   #48
neilgl
Inactive

Hi all,
update re the £1.25 charge for paper billing.
Yes it did appear on the bill for May.

I phoned them to get it taken off - ok no problem (one month)
Then registered for paper free billing.
WTF - no PIN sent to email
Called them - "there is a high demand"
Still waiting...more than 48 hours later...

Also, we in MK do not have to pay the £5 extra charge per month for not using Direct Debit
Old 02-06-2009, 19:46   #49
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Well in Westminster, they are upgrading 2MB broadband customers to 10MB later this year according to the upgrades website, this currently includes Marylebolne. So this is a sign that Virgin Media intends to keep the Westminster and Milton Keynes franchises up and running and modernised.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:46   #50
neilgl
Inactive

Nice one - where is this upgrades website ?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:50   #51
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

www.virginmedia.com/gofaster
Old 04-06-2009, 02:24   #52
neilgl
Inactive

Huh ? is that the right link?

that asks me to sign in - I can't sign in can I ? as I don't have one of their crappy email addresses in the list box??

and it says:

"Be one of the first size: M customers to upgrade from 2Mb to super-fast 10Mb"

Could be interesting...

Regards,
Neil
Old 04-06-2009, 10:41   #53
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

In that case I would phone Westminster Customer Services on 0800 952 0345 where they should be able to get everything clarified
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00   #54
neilgl
Inactive

Thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 20:16   #55
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Bare in mind that NOT all of Westminster has had the broadband service rolled out,It definately is in Marylebolne. Cable Broadband is most likely to be available in:

Marylebolne
Mayfair
Queens Park
Paddington
Maida Vale
Harrow Road and surrounding streets
Westminster part of Kilburn

Digital TV is most likely to be rolled out at the above locations too if it is ever made official.

Marylebolne will inlcude streets such as Bolsover Street,Baker Street,Marylebolne Road,Harley Street,Portland Place,Lisson Grove,St Johns Wood High street,Marylebolne High Street,Abbey Road and all of the small roads off the above roads and maybe Great Portland Street and Edgware Road.

amazingly,Virgin Media do have ,many Analogue TV subscribers in this area,maybe its because they cant get Sky dishes and Aerials due to the local restrictions and conservation rules. So thats probably why they are still serving the area.
Old 06-06-2009, 00:47   #56
neilgl
Inactive

thanks for the info

There is also a restriction on satellite dishes and freeview aerials here in Milton Keynes,

Everyone ignores it.

hehe
Old 09-06-2009, 20:24   #57
m419
Inactive

Suddenly you'll find a court order on your doormat if you do ignore it, I know someone that lives in Westminster and they had installed a Sky dish in late 1999, they recieved a letter from the the council a few weeks ago instructing them to take it down as its in view from the street. So that means removal! And back to Analogue TV LOL
Old 09-06-2009, 20:40   #58
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

A letter from the council after 10 years? I'd have thought they have a reasonable claim that it's permitted development on that basis.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 20:47   #59
m419
Inactive

Well according to the council they claim its a breach of there conservation plans. Westminster city council is so strict on stuff like that.

When IPM took of Mercury's phone boxes, IPM wanted to install its bright orange corporate design of kiosk, instead they were forced to install black heritage style kiosks. Thats how far westminster take it! Now NWP took over all those sites and again,they are black kiosks. Infolines the new owners of IPM have recently installed new 8 foot kiosks suitable for wheelchair access, they are mostly all black or red across the borough.

Maybe westminster should focus on real issues,like the state of its council estates!
Old 09-06-2009, 20:57   #60
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It may well be a breach of their conservation plans, but if they haven't enforced that against him for a decade he might just have a good argument against them enforcing it now. I'm far from certain of the law in these instances but if I were him I'd be seeking advice from the local CAB for starters.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote