Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Glasgow G20 upload network issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Glasgow G20 upload network issues

Old 25-02-2012, 18:17   #1
andrewstevenson

Glasgow G20 upload network issues

Hi im looking for some advice. Virgin media noticed that my upstream levels was to far reduced my upload speed from 10mb to 0.26mb. They noticed its a network fault from broomhill affecting g20 postcodes, does anybody else have this and also why does this affect downloads like 10 mins for a 9mb file but pages browse ok
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2012, 20:06   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Glasgow G20 upload network issues

i am a bit confused, I am assuming you are on 100mbit if you think you should have 10 up? Can you post your power levels by going to 192.168.100.1 if your shub (which I assume you have) is in modem mode or 192.168.0.1 if it is in router mode (it is in this mode if you are using wireless or have more than one device wired to it)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 20:19   #3
andrewstevenson

Can you tell me how to send levels on her. I'm using superhub, wired, not modem mode
Old 25-02-2012, 20:30   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

go to http://192.168.0.1. It will pop up the login page and you'll need to enter your username and pass. The default is admin/changeme. Once you have logged in click on advanced settings bottom middle and then click on connection. There should be 3 tables full of numbers and stuff, copy the whole lot and paste in here.
Old 25-02-2012, 21:12   #5
andrewstevenson

Startup Procedure
Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 315000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Configuration File OK
Security Enabled BPI+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power SNR Docsis/EuroDocsis locked
Locked QAM256 14 55616000 Kbits/sec 315000000 Hz 2.1 dBmV 38.5 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 11 55616000 Kbits/sec 291000000 Hz 2.8 dBmV 38.2 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 12 55616000 Kbits/sec 299000000 Hz 2.6 dBmV 38.6 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 13 55616000 Kbits/sec 307000000 Hz 2.6 dBmV 38.4 dB Hybrid
Locked QAM256 15 55616000 Kbits/sec 323000000 Hz 1.5 dBmV 38.2 dB Hybrid
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Unknown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Max Raw Bit Rate Frequency Power
Locked ATDMA 33 20480 Kbits/sec 45800000 Hz 37.0 dBmV
Locked ATDMA 35 20480 Kbits/sec 27400000 Hz 35.0 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV
Unlocked Unknown 0 0 Ksym/sec 0 Hz 0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID 67506
Max Traffic Rate 110000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 10000 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID 3967
Max Traffic Rate 10250000 bps
Max Traffic Burst 16320 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst 16320 bytes
Scheduling Type Best Effort
Old 25-02-2012, 21:28   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

nice to see you on 5 ds channels and 2 upstream. Your downstream is pretty much spot on, the only concern is your upstream power is borderline minimum. 34 is the minimum and as an example, mine is 49 atm. If they say it is a network fault then fair enough because more often than not they won't even admit it. Give it till Monday to see if they fix it otherwise ring them up again and get a tech to come out and look at it because it can easily be fixed either on the modem itself or at your street cabinet.
Old 25-02-2012, 21:33   #7
andrewstevenson

Thank you that really helps. Can I say how can I download say torrents with no issues but standalone downloads from a website take so much longer. Virgin have a network appt for Monday at a base
Old 25-02-2012, 21:45   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

because when you download a file from a website you are forming 1 connection to that site/file and using 1 downstream channel to download that 1 file. So the dite itself might be slow/congested and the channel you are using might be congested as well.

When you use torrents you are potentially forming hundreds of connections to different people, using all 5 of your downstream channels sucking up as much speed as they can give you. If one user is only uploading at 5k it dosnt stop someone else like me from uploading at 1mb/sec to you and you are also less likely to see congestion on any one channels as the other 4 channels should make up for it with load balancing. This is why a lot of people favour p2p protocols like torrents and usenet.
Old 25-02-2012, 22:55   #9
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

strange that there seem to be rolling out upstream bonding now
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 23:06   #10
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
strange that there seem to be rolling out upstream bonding now
What that mean

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
because when you download a file from a website you are forming 1 connection to that site/file and using 1 downstream channel to download that 1 file. So the dite itself might be slow/congested and the channel you are using might be congested as well.

When you use torrents you are potentially forming hundreds of connections to different people, using all 5 of your downstream channels sucking up as much speed as they can give you. If one user is only uploading at 5k it dosnt stop someone else like me from uploading at 1mb/sec to you and you are also less likely to see congestion on any one channels as the other 4 channels should make up for it with load balancing. This is why a lot of people favour p2p protocols like torrents and usenet.
Thanks mate you been a great help my ps vita reads a upload speed of 3017kb, I can go on ps store but online games fail, do you know why
Old 25-02-2012, 23:19   #11
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

you have two upstreams, up until now no one has had upstream bonding which is getting more than 1 upstrema channel so hopefully it means it getting rolled out and peopel wills ee some improvement in the connection
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 23:20   #12
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstevenson View Post
What that mean
same as what i said above. Whenever you have uploaded stuff you have only ever used one channel for it which has been shared between all the other users in your area so it could be easily congested with the recent speed upgrades. By bonding another channel so you now use 2 upstream channels (like 5 downstreams) your upstream traffic will be split between the 2 channels helping you to achieve max speed.

I have no idea why you cant play games online. If it is with the shub I would hazzard a guess to say it is a port forwarding issue
Old 26-02-2012, 01:31   #13
andrewstevenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstevenson View Post
What that mean
same as what i said above. Whenever you have uploaded stuff you have only ever used one channel for it which has been shared between all the other users in your area so it could be easily congested with the recent speed upgrades. By bonding another channel so you now use 2 upstream channels (like 5 downstreams) your upstream traffic will be split between the 2 channels helping you to achieve max speed.

I have no idea why you cant play games online. If it is with the shub I would hazzard a guess to say it is a port forwarding issue
Well with the vita I can go onto ps store and stuff just gaming online is a issue can the low upload on 3072 kb be a cause

---------- Post added 02-26-2012 at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-25-2012 at 10:52 PM ----------

Trying to play online games but after 3 mins games stop and ps vita keeps losing connection as I said before my upload is around 3000 kb / s should be 9 or 10 mb is this the reason
Old 26-02-2012, 10:42   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

na, 3mbits up is about 350k which is more than enough for gaming. If you can actually start playing the game then you havent got a port forwarding issue. I am crying as I say this but it isn't your connection with VM which is the issue, it is the wireless on the shub. Have you got any other devices you connect wirelessly like mobile phones or laptops?
Old 26-02-2012, 11:20   #15
andrewstevenson

Yeah my iPhone browses the internet, download from Playstation store it's just online gaming is the issue

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

Also forgot to add my ps3 is connected by Ethernet not wireless