Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why so few Live TV options ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Advice on V6 offer

Old 15-09-2017, 13:33   #1
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Advice on V6 offer

Hi all
I've just had a phone call from VM (india). I assumed they were trying to flog me a mobile phone as is the norm, but this time they surprised me by offering a V6 free of charge (I currently have the older tivo 500 Gb.)
I declined as i've had issues with the traceability of offers from foreign call centres (BT in particular). I figured I'd speak to CS UK and ask here.

Is it kosher, and has anybody else had a call like this. I'm ok with the one i've got up to a point. It is rather sluggish and has limited storage but on the plus side it's been reliable so far and i can pipe the output (via scart to RF modulator) around the house.

Just thought i'd seek the views of people in the know here.

Thanks
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2017, 13:43   #2
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Advice on V6 offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Hi all
I've just had a phone call from VM (india). I assumed they were trying to flog me a mobile phone as is the norm, but this time they surprised me by offering a V6 free of charge (I currently have the older tivo 500 Gb.)
I declined as i've had issues with the traceability of offers from foreign call centres (BT in particular). I figured I'd speak to CS UK and ask here.

Is it kosher, and has anybody else had a call like this. I'm ok with the one i've got up to a point. It is rather sluggish and has limited storage but on the plus side it's been reliable so far and i can pipe the output (via scart to RF modulator) around the house.

Just thought i'd seek the views of people in the know here.

Thanks
Maybe a call to Customer Services might resolve this for you. At least you would be able to have more confidence in what they told you.

Some might advise you to go to Retentions, where you might get a better deal, but personally I think that's a bit cheeky unless you really do intend leaving if you don't get satisfaction!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:49   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe a call to Customer Services might resolve this for you. At least you would be able to have more confidence in what they told you.

Some might advise you to go to Retentions, where you might get a better deal, but personally I think that's a bit cheeky unless you really do intend leaving if you don't get satisfaction!
Cheers OB, that was my thoughts as well. I'm a little suspicious as they have rung half a dozen times in the last 2 days (the only calls we ever get on the phone are from VM). They seem desperate to give me something free. Maybe i'm being a bit cynical.
I only ring retentions to try and negotiate a better deal after a price rise etc, as you suggest i'll probably try the normal channels first.
Old 15-09-2017, 14:02   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's very likely to be genuine, but CS should be able to confirm.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:06   #5
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Hi daveeb,

Not sure if you're aware but the V6 doesn't have Scart so your RF modulator would be redundant.
Someone may come along to suggest a way of doing it using third party equipment if it really is important to you.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 14:23   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Hi daveeb,

Not sure if you're aware but the V6 doesn't have Scart so your RF modulator would be redundant.
Someone may come along to suggest a way of doing it using third party equipment if it really is important to you.
Yes, thanks, that's why I mentioned it as an upside to my existing box.
I guess there are hdmi extender options of some sort, I'll have to look into it if it becomes relevant.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's very likely to be genuine, but CS should be able to confirm.
Yes I'm sure it was genuine in the sense it was VM. Sometimes there seems to be a breakdown in communications where the offshore people offer something that the UK people have not heard about.
Old 15-09-2017, 14:38   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

You do right to double check.

Only the other week UK CS told me that 95% of complaints are about the foreign call centres telling lies at any cost just to make a sale (or in this case to get their figures up).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:48   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
You do right to double check.

Only the other week UK CS told me that 95% of complaints are about the foreign call centres telling lies at any cost just to make a sale (or in this case to get their figures up).
Thanks Richard, you're confirming my impression of how things are sometimes.
Old 15-09-2017, 16:13   #9
mcgillca
cf.member

mcgillca is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Hi daveeb,

I've been using an HDMI splitter, then sending the signal to a digital modulator like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can then distribute this around your house via RF, but this time its in HD quality. The only downside is that there is a ~ 1 second delay while the signal is compressed then decompressed at the other end. The quality is much much better however.

Colin
mcgillca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 16:49   #10
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgillca View Post
I've been using an HDMI splitter, then sending the signal to a digital modulator like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can then distribute this around your house via RF, but this time its in HD quality. The only downside is that there is a ~ 1 second delay while the signal is compressed then decompressed at the other end. The quality is much much better however.

Colin
Thanks Colin I'll have a look at that. The HD quality sounds good as my current method results in significantly reduced quality as it's via the scart.