Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless N router for VPN

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless N router for VPN

Old 21-09-2009, 10:31   #1
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Wireless N router for VPN

Hi, yes another 'what router' question I'm afraid...

I need an 'N' router so I can work from home from time to time. I have 20Mb VM broadband but might look to go for 50 in the future. To connect to work, we go through VPN. Does anyone have any experience with routers with VPN? Are there any models you might recommend or avoid? I have a less than £60 budget from work to buy whatever I want.

My home PC will be wired still so this will just be my work laptop but in the future, I may look at media streaming and parental controls would be handy too for the future.

Many thanks!
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2009, 10:38   #2
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age
Re: Wireless N router for VPN

The links below is a Linksys (by Cisco) and allows VPN Passthrough. There isn't however, much choice within your budget

Linky
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 10:51   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

The router at home isn't really the issue, VPN passthrough is only needed for server end.

Any router at home will do though you might need to open a port (or use port triggering/uPNP)..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 14:18   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I have an oldish Belkin PreN and no issues with VPN into the office, no need to open ports or change anything on the router. I did have to specify protocol and port on the VPN client though.
Old 21-09-2009, 14:32   #5
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Many thanks everyone for your replies! I have had a bit more info on our VPN client that says it connects using 'IPSec over UDP (NAT/PAT)' Any issues with this?

Sorry for the noob questions!
Old 21-09-2009, 14:53   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

As suggested you shouldn't have to do anything at the client end as it's initiated from within your firewall so 2 way communication shouldn't be a problem
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07   #7
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

A quick update for anyone who has the same question - I got a Belkin N+ router in the end. Boshed in the setup disk and it recognised I had a cable connection and asked me if I had a set top box connection or modem. Plugged in all the details and it worked just fine. I then set up my work laptop connection and the VPN went straight through.

Result!