Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

Old 21-07-2015, 12:09   #76
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Around about the time there's a good reason to offer that speed beyond allowing people to run busy servers and offer cloud computing from home.
Chicken and egg scenario then I suppose. I personally have always thought of cloud as a lazy stop-gap solution on the way to true universal computing and "personal cloud" but connections are barely fast enough these days for it to work properly.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-07-2015, 12:18   #77
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Chicken and egg scenario then I suppose.
Needs the cable networks upgrading to 5-204MHz upstream, from the current 5-42 / 5-50 / 5-65 / 5-85 split, alongside DOCSIS 3.1 CMTS and CPE.

The networks VM are installing now can be field upgraded easily enough to the high split however a bunch of existing, older stuff needs ripping out and replacing. The amplifiers don't have the return path and/or the lasers can't handle that degree of loading. There are still inevitably going to be some F-P diodes still about that need replacing with DFB diodes.

Upgrading these has the added bonus that kit capable of this has larger downstream range too.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 14:27   #78
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Needs the cable networks upgrading to 5-204MHz upstream, from the current 5-42 / 5-50 / 5-65 / 5-85 split, alongside DOCSIS 3.1 CMTS and CPE.
Any idea on when this sort of work is happening ignition? A few years back they split most nodes from the hub site I cover down to 525 from 2100, and all the amplifiers were upgraded. But as some of the other hubs are still running older kit the amplifiers are 65mhz ready but only using 42mhz. I presume it would make sense to a go to a 204mhz upstream spectrum if that's that the long term plan is. I wasn't aware we were going that high though I thought it was 105?
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 11:43   #79
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

My current N56U router does everything that is needed I can't possibly see the benefits of a new router or the like from VM having or making much improvement over current modems on the market or it's SHUB2

Think they should spend more time putting money into their tv service and improvements on the Tivo box and it's features as I find the boxes a long way off on performance
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:03   #80
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
My current N56U router does everything that is needed I can't possibly see the benefits of a new router or the like from VM having or making much improvement over current modems on the market or it's SHUB2
Unless they up their speed tiers, in which case the current SHUB2's aren't suitable. You're also comparing routers to modems, which is apples to oranges.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:21   #81
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I can't possibly see the benefits of a new router or the like from VM having or making much improvement over current modems on the market or it's SHUB2
You are looking at it from your point of view, not VM's. Even if the new device is functionally identical to the existing ones, it may be beneficial for VM. For example, it could be cheaper, quicker to install, or more reliable.

Or it may be that VM are being forced to release new hardware due to existing components becoming obsolete or unavailable.

Quote:
Think they should spend more time putting money into their tv service and improvements on the Tivo box and it's features as I find the boxes a long way off on performance
The two things aren't mutually exclusive.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 13:14   #82
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Or it may be that VM are being forced to release new hardware due to existing components becoming obsolete or unavailable.
Quite possible. I'm not entirely familiar with the Superhub 2's components but many of the core components chosen for the Superhub 1 were obsolete even at the time of its release.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:19   #83
MarshMallowMan
Inactive

MarshMallowMan is on a distinguished roadMarshMallowMan is on a distinguished road

Guess we will find out next week
MarshMallowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:21   #84
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshMallowMan View Post
Guess we will find out next week
I thought it would be by the end of this month?

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 11:45   #85
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Even if the new device is functionally identical to the existing ones, it may be beneficial for VM. For example, it could be cheaper, quicker to install, or more reliable.

It's an upgrade.

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

Quote:
I can't possibly see the benefits of a new router or the like from VM having or making much improvement over current modems on the market or it's SHUB2
If you have a look at the 'current' modems on the market, IE the newer ones, and compare their specifications to the SH2/2AC you will soon clock one of the benefits.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 12:50   #86
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Hi, All

Successful applicants will be contacted in due course.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...p/2856584#M203
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 14:11   #87
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dee 11 View Post
Hi, All

Successful applicants will be contacted in due course.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...p/2856584#M203
Good luck to all applicants then!
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 13:23   #88
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:38   #89
MarshMallowMan
Inactive

MarshMallowMan is on a distinguished roadMarshMallowMan is on a distinguished road

Thanks Martin for letting us know.
MarshMallowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 22:09   #90
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Invites been sent out yet? i've not heard anything

I tested the superhub2 so was lucking forward to testing something new.

The best trial I managed to get on was STB broadband at 64k I think it was, was great on multiplayer gaming having such a great ping.
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote