Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

Old 15-09-2015, 14:04   #211
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: Broadband Hardware Trial 2015

Having had an email about the trial, and then nothing for sometime, if it has been delayed, it would have been nice for a follow up email to advise.
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2015, 14:08   #212
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Ignition has been adamant it's a no, and D3.1 isn't required for anything they're releasing here anytime soon. The VoC capabilities rely on packetcable, not D3.1
I don't think VoIP and D3.1 are related in any way and didn't mean to imply that. However, even if Virgin isn't ready to start rolling out 3.1 at a network level, there's nothing wrong with them shipping modems with the capability ready to go. It would make future speed boosts much easier as it won't necessarily rely on furnishing customers with newer devices. The current round of speed boosts are very much pushing the limits of what the Superhubs can do and I'd be surprised if they allow anyone on 300mbit with an existing device.

Even without speed boosts, even for customers on lower tiers, it's probably better for Virgin to use 3.1 for the capacity benefits. Just have to see how it pans out, I agree that I doubt Virgin has plans to roll it out any time soon.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 15:04   #213
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

I'm going to assume it will be docsis 3.1 ready because comcast in the US are already rolling out docsis 3.1 modems to new customers, so I have heard, even though the network doesn't support it yet.

It would at least make sense to start the switch to the 3.1 modems before the network supports it.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 15:07   #214
Carlos Carboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I was also adamant that it'd be off the shelf kit. I was wrong.
But from what I read the only modem with 3.1 is still on trials...VM will be the first to get it?
Old 15-09-2015, 15:34   #215
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
I'm going to assume it will be docsis 3.1 ready because comcast in the US are already rolling out docsis 3.1 modems to new customers, so I have heard, even though the network doesn't support it yet.

It would at least make sense to start the switch to the 3.1 modems before the network supports it.
There was a document floating a while back suggesting to the large ISPs that this is how they should do their deployment. It makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Carboni View Post
But from what I read the only modem with 3.1 is still on trials...VM will be the first to get it?
Who knows, it would be a good opportunity to deploy it but Virgin has plenty of time in this regard. We'll have to wait and see.
Old 15-09-2015, 16:49   #216
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Well it's quicker to replace a line card in a rack or even an entire rack's worth of equipment than a replace few hundred users' boxes at home.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 16:58   #217
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
Not just yet. They unveiled it but aren't handing it out just yet.

---------- Post added at 16:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainmakerRaw View Post
About the off-the-shelf kit, DOCSIS 3.1, or both? Hmm...
Both! I thought it was a 24x8 channel DOCSIS 3.0 only gateway.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 17:40   #218
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Modem mode?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 17:55   #219
Kushan

One can hope. Do the other UPC devices have a modem mode?
Old 15-09-2015, 18:45   #220
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

I'm sure the OCD lot will love the different font sizes on the back of that thing.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 18:50   #221
Kushan

Something tells me the final units will look less.....retro.
Old 15-09-2015, 21:36   #222
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Be nice if they gave a free DDI to the top broadband tier. I used to have a cisco phone connected to sipgate that came in handy if the misses wasnt answering her mobile. They updated the superhub and broke something with the VOIP and the phone ended up in the loft since.
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 22:56   #223
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter View Post
Be nice if they gave a free DDI to the top broadband tier. I used to have a cisco phone connected to sipgate that came in handy if the misses wasnt answering her mobile. They updated the superhub and broke something with the VOIP and the phone ended up in the loft since.
Why top only, we're all on the trial?
Old 15-09-2015, 23:15   #224
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

Going forward since the lowest speed tier would probably be good enough for most people now it's reached 100mb. They could do something to sweeten the bigger tiers.

I could drop from the highest tier down to the lowest when the speed upgrades happen and other than the upload it won't be a massive difference.
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 23:17   #225
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I may even consider dropping back down to 100mbit as i am not 1 of these e-penis types that dream about broadband speed.