Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Currently wired connection via Ethernet - switch to wireless?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Currently wired connection via Ethernet - switch to wireless?

Old 15-01-2018, 10:33   #1
bolgerp
cf.member

bolgerp is an unknown quantity at this point
Currently wired connection via Ethernet - switch to wireless?

Hi all

My V6 box is currently connected to the SH3 via an Ethernet cable (set up by the installing engineer). I could do with freeing up a port on the router as I have just installed a NAS and Plex on my Apple TV so think it might be best to connect my ATV directly to the router (where the NAS is connected) but I haven't yet played around with it. The WiFi connection to the ATV might actually be fine. All 4 Ethernet ports are now used.

I know I can get an Ethernet switch to add more ports but that is yet another power source to try and add to my sockets and hide the cables etc. So, I'd rather avoid that.

I assume I can easily switch the connection between the SH3 and V6 to wifi? They are really close to each other so the speed and signal should be fine.

Are there any pitfalls to doing this? Should I get a switch instead, do you think? I only need ust the one additional Ethernet port, to be honest.

Thanks is advance.
bolgerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2018, 10:40   #2
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Currently wired connection via Ethernet - switch to wireless?

Should work with no issues at all on WiFi - try using the 5GHz network for best results.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:00   #3
bolgerp
cf.member

Cheers Ozsat.
Old 15-01-2018, 11:10   #4
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Yes, I agree to use the 5GHz but also to separate out the Hub 3.0 single SSID to one each for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:03   #5
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

I have two V6 boxes (living room and study). They were both set up WiFi by the engineer and work fine. I can even watch recordings on the other box using WiFi only without the PowerLine Adapters that VM tells you you will need. I guess it is all dependent on how good your WiFi signal is.
The Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:41   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yank View Post
I have two V6 boxes (living room and study). They were both set up WiFi by the engineer and work fine. I can even watch recordings on the other box using WiFi only without the PowerLine Adapters that VM tells you you will need. I guess it is all dependent on how good your WiFi signal is.
Same here, it works just fine with wi-fi.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 13:21   #7
bolgerp
cf.member

I tried connecting to my NAS using Plex on Apple TV over the wifi last night and it works perfectly so no need to have an ethernet connection just yet to the ATV... thanks for the advice all!