Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2008, 13:30   #9901
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
Landesbank initiated coverage on Phorm today.
Rated as a BUY

Don't give much credence to you lot apparently, reckon the chance of failure is very small.

Without sales talk and PR spin give 10 good reasons why we should accept Phorm/webwise?
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2008, 13:36   #9902
Frank Rizzo
Inactive

Frank Rizzo is an unknown quantity at this point

I can give one good reason not to feed trolls
Old 23-06-2008, 13:40   #9903
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:
Without sales talk and PR spin give 10 good reasons why we should accept Phorm/webwise?
So that BT can make loads more money and give their Directors larger bonuses.
Old 23-06-2008, 13:45   #9904
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Landesbank initiated coverage on Phorm today.
Rated as a BUY

Don't give much credence to you lot apparently, reckon the chance of failure is very small.

I see you have been busy burying Webwise on Digg , with the help of others.

Kill-filed . Goodbye!
Old 23-06-2008, 13:45   #9905
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

hamsterwheel has no interest in a proper debate, (s)he's only here to wind us up.
Ignore it and it'll crawl back under its rock before long.
Old 23-06-2008, 13:48   #9906
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
So that BT can make loads more money and give their Directors larger bonuses.
You failed on your one good chance to gain some respect.

The new CEO will be paid £50,000 a year more than Ben who leaves end of June another manager will get a payrise of over £190,000 taking his wage to £850,000 same wage as Ian will be on once he takes on CEO.

This is already taken from customers payments for internet phone line and anything else BT share like dabs....
Maybe the real reason you didn't answer correctly was due to knowing we are right with what we say and everything phorm/webwise offer is worthless to us just worth money to those who wil become pimps pimping customers clicks.
Old 23-06-2008, 13:49   #9907
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post
hamsterwheel has no interest in a proper debate, (s)he's only here to wind us up.
Ignore it and it'll crawl back under its rock before long.
I've already got it on my ignore list, now can people stop quoting it please?

Thanks
Old 23-06-2008, 13:50   #9908
Florence
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
I've already got it on my ignore list, now can people stop quoting it please?

Thanks
constructive question I had which was above the ability to answer correctly.
Old 23-06-2008, 13:52   #9909
Hank

Today, getting ready for a trip away from Blighty I was sorting through papers and there it was, a letter acknowledging my new contract with BT. And joy of joys, 12 months old

So on the phone I go, to ask what the deals are (but, more importantly, before I agree to any new contact term, what's the deal with Phorm and Webwise)...

I explained that before I renew any contract I would like to know if they are going to implement Phorm and Webwise. The BT employee I spoke with did not know what Phorm or Webwise was.

He asked what it was so I told him. I said it is where BT put a system in their network which watches what I and my family do on our internet connection so they can sell advertising for a higher price, knowing what I am interested in.

I loved the next bit... He said, I quote: "That sounds illegal"
His supervisor also knew nothing about it.

BT employee thinks that interception of broadband connections by an ISP is illegal

So, it is interesting isn't it (or unsurprising?) that BT empoloyees here in the UK know nothing about Phorm/Webwise. If I was responsible for internal communication at BT then I would probably want to keep it quiet also.

However, if I was a BT employee I would be really hacked off by this. Their own company not trusting them to know what they are doing. Or does BT know that even their own people would find the prospect of DPI as distasteful as we all do here? Especially if their call centre employees draw the conclusion that interception of customer data on their private connections is illegal.

All I can say is, sorry Barry at BT and your supervisor. It's not nice to know you work for a company who you think is probably doing something illegal.

Perhaps I should have also told him that BT er, erm, "sought extensive legal advice" ("sought it" not necessarily "got it" - and if they got it, we don't know what it said)

How do we get to let the employees at BT know about Phorm Webwise and BT's plans? How about standing outside the HQ/Telesales offices and handing them a copy of the BT leaflet PDF? There's nothing illegal about doing that and it would raise the profile high enough to require BT to brief their employees. Done well, without intimidation, in a very civil manner, this could be exactly what is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Any one got a invite or the 24 hour warning yet ?
No, I have not received the 24 hour warning (is that like the 4 minute warning ahead of nuclear war? )

Hank

(PS - Alexander: Adwords voucher PM'd to you today)

Old 23-06-2008, 13:56   #9910
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
From memory it was more a fluke that Safari that didn't work well with Phorm, rather than a means of stopping Phorm in its tracks. If Phorm can find a way to exploit Safari too, you can be sure they will.

As a line of defence? Its about as much use as Dephormation is. (Ie, almost nil). It assumes the honesty of Phorm, doesn't protect non-Safari apps, and doesn't stop Phorm changing their code.
Yeah .. I realise the pit-falls .. worth checking these things out though!
Old 23-06-2008, 14:17   #9911
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone remember seeing a posting from anyone who thinks Phorm/Webwise is a "good thing" who:
  1. Is on an ISP that is going to be "Phormed"
  2. Intends to allow their browsing to be monitored (i.e. will be opting in)
  3. Will not benefit financially if Phorm succeeds (i.e. does not own Phorm shares)
Where people advocating Phorm do not meet those three points I consider their opinion is totally worthless.

(Of course having posted this I confidently expect we will see PhormPRTeam registering yet another fake user who apparently matches the list)
Old 23-06-2008, 14:28   #9912
JohnnyWashngo
Inactive

JohnnyWashngo is an unknown quantity at this point

Have we seen this article on the Reg about VM throttling 'net connections using DPI technology?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...ttling_denial/
Old 23-06-2008, 14:53   #9913
bustedwheel
Inactive

bustedwheel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hamster. If you like phorm and BT so much why not use it, instead of zen?
Old 23-06-2008, 15:12   #9914
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank
How do we get to let the employees at BT know about Phorm Webwise and BT's plans? How about standing outside the HQ/Telesales offices and handing them a copy of the BT leaflet PDF? There's nothing illegal about doing that and it would raise the profile high enough to require BT to brief their employees. Done well, without intimidation, in a very civil manner, this could be exactly what is needed.
Not a bad idea. All local offices would need to be located.

I have found:

Registered office: 81 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7AJ
BT plc Correspondence Centre: Durham DH98 1BT

...but that's about it.
Old 23-06-2008, 15:16   #9915
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
Not a bad idea. All local offices would need to be located.

I have found:

Registered office: 81 Newgate Street, London EC1A 7AJ
BT plc Correspondence Centre: Durham DH98 1BT

...but that's about it.
There is a big BT building in Leeds for sure (near the train station - I was there last week and noticed it)

What does anyone else think of this idea? Anyone know where the big call centres are?

(Let's focus on the issues and not go around that wheel thing again!)

Closed Thread