Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Project Lightning Silence...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Project Lightning Silence...

Old 22-05-2017, 22:54   #91
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age
Re: Project Lightning Silence...

One area actually shows orange and the number of registrations, whilst another I checked just shows orange with no number (just a white bg with a document icon)
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2017, 23:20   #92
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Just checked an area in Wirral and it was amber. It's probably a traffic light system with a few extra colours. Amber might be "registering interest / under review". Dary grey = "no."
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 19:30   #93
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

OK, here are the colours:

Dark Grey = "No - Not considering this area at the moment".
Amber = "Maybe - if we get enough interest. Still under consideration".
Blue = "Coming Soon" - this area has moved beyond just the consideration stage.
Purple = "Yes - area has been planned and will likely be built (in the next wave of areas? don't know)."

Green is what used to show before the above colours became live recently. There's no green any more.
Old 24-05-2017, 17:35   #94
Airwaves
Inactive

Services: Sky +, Freesat, Sky Broadband Unlimited.
Airwaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Airwaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
OK, here are the colours:

Dark Grey = "No - Not considering this area at the moment".
Amber = "Maybe - if we get enough interest. Still under consideration".
Blue = "Coming Soon" - this area has moved beyond just the consideration stage.
Purple = "Yes - area has been planned and will likely be built (in the next wave of areas? don't know)."

Green is what used to show before the above colours became live recently. There's no green any more.
Thanks for the information. It sounds to me like the colours and number of registrations figure are to help them decide which wave of areas to do next. Less registrations could mean you are pushed down the list but may still be cabled - just later on due to priority/perceived demand from other areas which come first.

Remaining positive is the key, as you never know!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 18:07   #95
Onramp
Inactive

I didn't find any "numbers of registrations" count, but there does appear to be a community number and (for sites that will be built) a build reference that are also buried in the page, including the community name.

The reason I didn't think it was the number of registrations is because some of the higher ranges mean "no" and some of the middle ones are "yes", while some of the even lower numbers are "coming soon"
Old 25-05-2017, 23:09   #96
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Correct, it isn't number of registrations. I cant confirm if your assumptions are correct... but you aren't far off the mark Onramp

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 16:40   #97
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Slightly worried a postcode I was keeping an eye on used to be showing as being "On the way" but now it shows no plans.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 17:44   #98
Airwaves
Inactive

Services: Sky +, Freesat, Sky Broadband Unlimited.
Airwaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Airwaves

I spoke to a person involved with the planning of Project Lightening in my area today as there was a VM stand placed outside a shop. He said my area is definately planned, but not all addresses will get it and it will depend on how the houses are situated and whether there is tarmac or brick work along the street in general. Brick work they don't touch, It needs to be tarmac.

I asked about timescales and he looked and said there is nothing listed for the next 6 months as they were working up to my area from the other side starting with new builds on the outskirts.

I'm not saying what he says is gospel but it's encouraging. I also showed him my street on Streetview and he said there is no reason why it wouldn't happen.

Just a case of sit and wait which is the frustrating thing.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 20:42   #99
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
I spoke to a person involved with the planning of Project Lightening in my area today as there was a VM stand placed outside a shop. He said my area is definately planned, but not all addresses will get it and it will depend on how the houses are situated and whether there is tarmac or brick work along the street in general. Brick work they don't touch, It needs to be tarmac.

I asked about timescales and he looked and said there is nothing listed for the next 6 months as they were working up to my area from the other side starting with new builds on the outskirts.

I'm not saying what he says is gospel but it's encouraging. I also showed him my street on Streetview and he said there is no reason why it wouldn't happen.

Just a case of sit and wait which is the frustrating thing.
That isn't correct, we are actively building in huge areas of block paving (Dunfermline), paving slabs (Newcastle) and red tarmac all over the country. What stops us digging in an area is wayleave in private areas, if we don't have permission to dig from the landowners then we wont place micro duct in private driveways (for example).

This person you spoke with would be part of the regional sales team and not a planner so may not be aware of the intricacies of expansion. We also don't start with New Build sites, they are completely separate to project lightning delivered by different field teams and budgets.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 17:34   #100
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Two grey Virgin Media cabinets have appeared in the centre of Saughall (Chester, complete new network area), one of the roads leading down from the Chester High Road into Saughall has also been closed now for many weeks with a Virgin Media roadworks sign at each end. So the Chester build has commenced anyway, finally.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 21:07   #101
rssfed23
cf.member

rssfed23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!

Anyone know where I can get updates on an area that is definitely being cabled and already in the works?

I'm just asking as we've had Virgin installing as part of the rural rollout here in Oakley (Hampshire) and the civil works seem to be complete now and wondering when I'll be able to order (also happy to be an early adopter as well and pay for the privilege!).
I know our reference number is NBU 48883 for the area and the last update we had was at the beginning of April when I was told the works should be finished that week and activation should follow.
We've got what I think are toby boxes in front of every house in our road as well as a VM cab now next to a BT one at the end of the street.

Many thanks in advance!
Rob
rssfed23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 21:39   #102
Onramp
Inactive

General network construction works seem to be on a pause in our area (East Midlands). I've noticed a few planned installs, tee-unblockings, duct-layings (via roadworks.org) that have passed their planned dates and then been rescheduled - 3 or 4 times in some cases, even though they are marked as "Granted". Especially over the last 2 months. I guess things are still being sorted out in terms of the next wave of expansion.

Last edited by Onramp; 07-06-2017 at 22:56.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:56   #103
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Virgin Media to upgrade 53,000 premises in Lancashire.

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/vi...shire--1202975
Old 07-07-2017, 17:27   #104
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Virgin Media to upgrade 53,000 premises in Lancashire.

https://www.telecompaper.com/news/vi...shire--1202975
Don't think that is Lightning related. I think it's just an upgrade of the old Smallworld Network.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:25   #105
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Project Lightning is 571,000 customers short of this years 800,000 target

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...media_results/
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote