Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New TV advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New TV advice

Old 15-01-2018, 16:20   #31
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: New TV advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The V6 has UHD on Netflix and YouTube. And you'd get a suitable HDMI lead for free with the V6.
The TV cityfan247 has ordered will have native webOS apps for both so no need to upgrade to a V6 to get them in UHD.

P.S. Can anyone with a V6 and Netflix tell me does the V6 Netflix app also give Dolby Vision on the 4K content or does it just offer 4K on its own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You probably have to manually enable HDR on your inputs, this may also give you an HDR setting for normal TV which you may or may not wish to use, i dont think i use it in my Samsung.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmu...r-on-an-lg-tv/

Yes you're correct, I can't read that Forbes link as I have an ad blocker running so in case it doesn't say so the setting is in "general settings" then "HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Colour" where you can enable or disable for each HDMI input.
I don't recall having to change any settings or enable anything to get HDR on the Amazon app or Dolby Vision on the Netflix app.
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2018, 11:55   #32
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

And I still use my 28" Sony WEGA CRT beast and until it breaks see no reason to change. Picture and sound are both fine and I really don't want or need anything bigger than 32" for the distance we mostly use it at - plus we don't want something huge dominating the room.
Old 16-01-2018, 12:10   #33
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
And I still use my 28" Sony WEGA CRT beast and until it breaks see no reason to change. Picture and sound are both fine and I really don't want or need anything bigger than 32" for the distance we mostly use it at - plus we don't want something huge dominating the room.
Over the years my Dad has gone from a 26" CRT TV (I think) to a 32" original LCD to a reasonably current 40" LED LCD TV.

Each of which took up less space than the last, so actually dominates the room less than each of the previous one used to.

Current TVs also allow for more creative room layout - you don't have to rely on sticking the TV in a corner and then ensuring the rest of the furniture is pointed at it, or at least not blocking the TV.

Last edited by BenMcr; 16-01-2018 at 12:13.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 12:25   #34
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Over the years my Dad has gone from a 26" CRT TV (I think) to a 32" original LCD to a reasonably current 40" LED LCD TV.

Each of which took up less space than the last, so actually dominates the room less than each of the previous one used to.

Current TVs also allow for more creative room layout - you don't have to rely on sticking the TV in a corner and then ensuring the rest of the furniture is pointed at it, or at least not blocking the TV.
All true but the furthest distance normally used would be 2-3 metres and the closest less than 1m. Yes it could be positioned slightly differently but the back of the CRT sits into the room corner so doesn't take up much space, any screen would still take the same space just have dead area behind it. We could wall mount but then would lose that space we have pictures on.

I also remember the "fun" getting a monitor to replace a CRT model. Wanted not to lose any pixels in any direction, be able to use for movies, games, photos, text etc so good for all purposes and not cost an absolute fortune or be too big. The pixel item was challenge, the CRT ran at 1600x1200. We have a 16:10 BenQ but it's not perfect but for budget is good enough. I guess TV's don't need to cope with being so general and ratio isn't the same problem.

Anyway that is getting off topic about choosing a TV for the OP's purpose.
Old 16-01-2018, 12:26   #35
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
As Ben says, i think you would easily get by with a 43in, itll probably take up far less space than a 28in CRT as there is very little bezel.
Old 16-01-2018, 19:29   #36
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We went from a Philips 100Hz 28" FST to the Sony 42" Because the Sony's bezel is so thin the set isn't that much bigger but so much more picture.
Old 16-01-2018, 20:28   #37
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

Yes newer sets tend to have a much thinner bezel so you can get a bigger screen taking the same or less space.

The 49" LG has replaced a 7 year old 46" Panasonic and is no bigger in terms of actual dimensions. (weighs a lot less as well)

Had the TV a couple of days now. Have tweaked the picture settings on the advice of some of the posters on here so thank you.

The only 4K stuff I actually get right now is limited to WebOs apps like BBC I player. So i havent got too fixated on things like Ultra HDR settings. I may have to upgrade my Netflix subscription from the basic level but I am very happy with the picture and the sound surpasses any TV i have ever had before.

As I said before I am not a TV enthusiast to the extent that i would spend £1K + and be hooked up on whether it was 10 bit or RGBW tech and all or spend ££ to have the very best 4K content.

I wanted a good TV that was to an extent future proof at an affordable price. Hopefully I will have achieved that.

Again thank you everyone who has provided advice and insight.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 17:55   #38
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Costco used to sell a 152" beastie. The price included a survey to see if you could actually fit on in and set it up safely. A multiman install and setup and a service at 1 year. All yours for £750,000.

The web page stated you couldn't buy online and to call a service number to confirm you had the wherewithal to pay.