Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speed Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Speed Question

Old 04-01-2018, 00:29   #1
Sloth
cf.member

Sloth is an unknown quantity at this point
Speed Question

Hi There,

I was wondering if someone could answer a quick question I had.

I am due for an install next week and our area can only get 200mb as the top package, what determines an areas speed, is it a capacity issue or some kind of hardware thing?

If for example my account was upgraded to the 300mb package, would my internet be able to run at the 300mb or would something else cap it at the 200mb instead as that is the current limit of my area ?

Thanks
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2018, 00:33   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Speed Question

Hardware at the headend and elsewhere. Once upgraded faster speeds will become available.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 20:17   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Speed Question

yeah it is a complicated answer. The hardware physically limits the available capacity in your area (like the size of the engine in your car) however the speed/tier you are provisioned for is software based (just like putting a speed restriction on a road). In the past when VM have announced new higher tiers they have provided a rollout schedule lasting the better part of 18 months where they would work their way round the country upgrading the infrastructure and capacity first before they made the new higher speeds available because the last thing you want is to be given a faster speed and not actually get it. Customers at the end of the list would ring up and complain saying they didn't want to wait a year and at the time it was possible for VM to put the code on your account for the new higher tier and you would get it in advance of them officially making it available in your area.
This actually caused more problems because in areas which were already over subscribed it just made things worse because users were demanding more from the network when it wasn't available.
Although the account codes and provisioning system work independently from the cmts and what you think of as the network, VM have recently introduced a failsafe mechanism on the cmts so even if customer services/whoever provision you for a higher tier (300mbits in your case) and your area hasn't been officially enabled for it yet and had the upgrade work done; the cmts will know your tier is not allowed and it will block your modem from connecting to the network full stop. The only way you can get your connection back is getting your tier dropped back down to a permitted tier for your area which 200mbits. So my advice is don't even bother trying to ring up and ask them to give it to you because if they do it won't work. Keep checking myvirginmedia and your account will tell you when it is available.

I know it is frustrating having to wait but it is worth it. Back in 2009 ish it was in absolute shambles. Many areas were diabolical and everyone complained all the time about not being able to achieve their max speed and to make matters worse VM would push through upgrades willy nilly. Their current philosophy is more proactive and a managed approach.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote