Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 07:29   #1561
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
29th of July
So once its not free will they stop spamming windows 7 users with pop ups stating upgrade now or tonight, answers on a post card to "not a chance in this world"

For anyone being spammed on there windows 7 install, here's how to stop the spam. http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-...automatically/

Quote:
If you want a really simple and easy way to get rid of the “Get Windows 10” icon and stop your PC from downloading Windows 10, you can download a little piece of freeware called GWX Control Panel from a developer that isn’t happy with this nonsense either.
For those who have installed windows 10 you can stop Microsoft spying on your every move by using this

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Quote:
Spybot Anti-Beacon is a standalone tool which was designed to block and stop the various tracking (telemetry) issues present in Windows 10. It has since been modified to block similar tracking functionality in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.
For anyone who has seen windows 10 force an update on you that then broke your install, here's how to take back control.

http://techgage.com/article/taking-b...ws-10-updates/

Quote:
Privacy is one thing, as a lot of the options can be disabled (at the expense of losing Cortana), but forced Windows Updates has made a very clear division in opinion. Forced security updates are generally a good thing, as they not only prevent immediate exploitation, but can help prevent the spread of exploits; herd immunity if you will. However, bundling often old and buggy drivers into the forced update, as well as Microsoft’s history of releasing less than optimal patches (OS-destroying in some cases), has a number of users, myself included, concerned. So what are the options?
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2016, 00:20   #1562
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Quote:
Privacy is one thing, as a lot of the options can be disabled (at the expense of losing Cortana), but forced Windows Updates has made a very clear division in opinion. Forced security updates are generally a good thing, as they not only prevent immediate exploitation, but can help prevent the spread of exploits; herd immunity if you will. However, bundling often old and buggy drivers into the forced update, as well as Microsoft’s history of releasing less than optimal patches (OS-destroying in some cases), has a number of users, myself included, concerned. So what are the options?
Mint. LOL. Never was a Linux advocate, but Microsoft are converting me.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 06:36   #1563
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Mint. LOL. Never was a Linux advocate, but Microsoft are converting me.
I have one machine running windows 10 and locked down against Microsoft's forced updates and spyware. I have a hackintos running El Capitan and a laptop with windows 7 that is locked down against Microsoft's update spam. Gives me chance to test most types of system.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 20:40   #1564
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

I've been getting extremely hacked off with Edge sneakily resetting some of my app defaults (.pdf inparticular). I mean who in their right mind would want to use Edge for anything really? Hmm a "bug" which Microsoft are "aware" of, OK.

Extreme annoyance sorted:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wi...-associations/

And don't get me started on "Cortana" which now cannot be cleanly disabled and it's insistence on opening an unsolicited, permanent SSL connection to Bing. That's now been sorted here with the quick and dirty folder rename trick. TBH very soon Windows will be gone from everything in this house other than my work laptop.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 20:51   #1565
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Cortana? Is there a ministry of silly names?

None of this is changing my mind about not wanting anything to do with Win10.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 20:55   #1566
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Cortana? Is there a ministry of silly names?

None of this is changing my mind about not wanting anything to do with Win10.
She is named after a character in Halo.
Old 14-03-2016, 20:56   #1567
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I am still on Windows 7. Afraid to take chances .
l can understand your train of thought as l felt the same way but l am pretty happy with Windows 10 since l installed it nash.
Old 15-03-2016, 16:56   #1568
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I have not enough confidence in myself if it goes wrong, Den
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 00:15   #1569
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...complain-users
This is very naughty of MS. Seems W10 is now installing automatically if you've selected install windows updates. I've upgraded my main PC but don't want it on a laptop for the moment. Guess I'll have to change the updates option. They really seem desperate to get this on all PCs ....
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 09:53   #1570
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...complain-users
This is very naughty of MS. Seems W10 is now installing automatically if you've selected install windows updates. I've upgraded my main PC but don't want it on a laptop for the moment. Guess I'll have to change the updates option. They really seem desperate to get this on all PCs ....
If, as seems likely, it eaves drops on users data that could be worth a lot of money to M$.

I'll have to make sure the laptop can't update to it.
Old 16-03-2016, 14:13   #1571
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I have not enough confidence in myself if it goes wrong, Den
Yep, why 'fix' what you don't feel is broken, especially when you'll be stuck if things go pear shaped.

If I wanted Win 10 I'd get it but I don't so I won't (well not if I can help it lol).
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 14:47   #1572
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Yep, why 'fix' what you don't feel is broken, especially when you'll be stuck if things go pear shaped.

If I wanted Win 10 I'd get it but I don't so I won't (well not if I can help it lol).
It's amazing to see how Microsoft has burned a lot of good will with something that should be a good thing.

Windows 10 being free is fantastic news, for people who want it. I bought Windows 7 and 8 upon release (Oh god why did I buy Windows 8?) and upgraded to Windows 10 as part of the preview program.

I think Windows 10 is a fantastic OS and much better than 7, and of course a million times better than 10. What I will not support though is how Microsoft is forcing people into updating.

If MS had simply put a question on peoples screens stating "Windows 10 is here, it's free if you want to upgrade, if not, that's fine, we wont bug you again" then there would be no problem. Instead, Microsoft are sounding like Mrs Doyle with the constant nagging, and worse, seem to be treating ignoring the nagging as permission to go ahead anyway.

In the absence of an answer, assume no, not yes Microsoft.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 23:25   #1573
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Just install GWX Control Panel, no more nagging.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 03:35   #1574
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

In my case the whole Windows 10 issue has pushed me to make a decision..

Moving to Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon from Windows 7 has been a breeze!

Performance has been great. Ubuntu/Mint has really improved over the last year or two, since I last tried it.

Supports my L750 Toshiba laptop out of the box without installing additional drivers and all my usual apps work better than on 7 (even Skype). Around half the memory usage of 7, which means zero swap usage.

Made the switch on Sunday night and now Linux is my main platform.

Which now means I can either keep the dual boot windows 7, or format the Windows 7 partition and install Windows 7 or 10 from scratch using the Windows 7 key and use that as my 2nd platform.

I'm willing to experiment with Windows 10, but not use it day-to-day.
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:24   #1575
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era

Microsoft is possibly putting the pressure on because they don't want to support several different operating systems at the same time, as they have traditionally done. I don't think any other company has done that have they? As far as I know, Apple only has one Desktop system that they upgrade or update? True there are lots of different Linux versions available but these aren't all supplied and maintained by the same company. It seems only Microsoft has offered support for older operating systems (often for years) when newer ones have been released. It now looks like they want to change all that and only have to support one upgradable OS. Maybe that's an understandable goal.

There's probably no stopping the momentum now. Those into computers may get upset by the (almost) forced upgrades but most people will just upgrade to Windows 10 or get it pre-installed with new computers. Perhaps not very likely to be worried about its workings as long as it runs their programs without trouble.

I've now accepted Windows 10 and it certainly runs OK for me, as do all the programs installed on it. This wasn't the case when I first tried it but a later clean installation (rather than an upgrade) has produced a reliable and stable OS.

I'm unsure about W.10 privacy issues. I realise many take exception to data being gathered on principle, or feel that it is actually harmful ..and that's fair enough but are computers really being monitored for spying purposes? Windows 10 is installed on millions of computers now and the numbers are rising. Are Microsoft going to be interested in me personally (one in all those millions) and take a look at the way I'm using the computer? Is it more likely is that they are using everyone's data collectively to see what programs are being used, if they cause any problems and if people are experiencing any bugs?

The Windows 10 debate had lead me to install Linux Mint 17.3 on a spare computer. I agree that it makes a pretty fair alternative for those upset with Microsoft. I don't think I'd make Mint my main OS because I use a number of Windows programs that have been paid for. However, there are equivalent Linux programs that work OK, so making more use of Linux isn't entirely out of the question.
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote