Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Who is a Xmas Traditionalist?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Who is a Xmas Traditionalist?

Old 02-01-2004, 23:03   #1
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
Who is a Xmas Traditionalist?

In other words, who intends to leave the decorations up until 6 January. Of those people who do, I suggest that they comprise 2 main categories:

1) A minority who believe in living by the rules.

2) A majority who will use any excuse to delay the evil moment of having to take the damn things down.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2004, 23:05   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Who is a Xmas Traditionalist?

How about the ones who have to go back to work so need to get them down sooner rather than later?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 23:10   #3
Nor
Inactive

Nor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to beholdNor is a splendid one to behold

I think most people believe in following the rules. They have no idea why these are the rules or who actually made them up but I reckon its just natural instinct to follow the rules when it comes to things like this.
Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 23:23   #4
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Mine are staying up all year! - Well the tree (plastic) is going to get a massive bin liner over it and all the decorations and put into the garage 1st thing tomorrow morning. Cards came down this evening and everything else will be down by tomorrow evening..Although I may keep my study xmas lights in the window!
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 23:24   #5
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor
I think most people believe in following the rules. They have no idea why these are the rules or who actually made them up but I reckon its just natural instinct to follow the rules when it comes to things like this.
Is it not just the "12 days of christmas, my true love gave...."?
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 23:27   #6
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I try to stick to a traditional Christmas as possible and the decorations stay up until the 6th but certainly not because we believe that bringing them down any sooner or later would bring any 'bad luck' or something silly like that.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 00:20   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ours are always removed before we go back to work & school - which this year will mean they come down on Sunday afternoon.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 00:25   #8
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

I thought they just had to be down before the 12 days were up - or had to stay up until Easter.

Ours all came down today, the tree had dropped nearly all its needles anyway.
Old 03-01-2004, 00:31   #9
Graham

Decorations? What decorations?!
Old 03-01-2004, 03:13   #10
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve

Rules? What rules? What is this about January 6?
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:18   #11
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
Rules? What rules? What is this about January 6?
January 6th is "Twelfth Night" ie the 12th after Xmas and the end of the "end of year" festivities. It is traditionally considered unlucky to have decorations up after this time.

For more info see http://www.novareinna.com/festive/twelfth.html for example.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:19   #12
Jerrek
Inactive

Jerrek can only hope to improve

Fascinating. Never heard of it before. Thanks for the link.
Jerrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 03:23   #13
Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrek
Fascinating. Never heard of it before.
You most probably have, but you've not made the connection:

"On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me..." etc.

Quote:
Thanks for the link.
You're welcome.
Old 03-01-2004, 11:58   #14
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

ours will prolly come down this weekend, my nephew is really excited about having them up....
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 21:27   #15
Colin

Mine came down on the 28th. I actually dont like decorations in the house so only the tree goes up. Don't know why, i dont mind christmas that much, but i have never liked the whole decorations thing. especially the people that go over board. They know who they mean.