Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Strange speeds this morning.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Strange speeds this morning.

Old 15-12-2017, 16:35   #16
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Strange speeds this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I know this is a stretch but it would be interesting to see if they are trialling some form of flexible bandwidth system where they guarantee a minimum speed and is what you pay for (e.g. 100mbits) but if more bandwidth is available during off peak periods they let you have it.

I doubt it is happening because other users would have reported it as well (and on other tiers) but it is an interesting concept.
You'd be surprised at how few users actually know what speeds they're really getting.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2017, 17:29   #17
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

As others have said, the config file sent to the router is to lock the hardware at that speed so without that changing, the router will not give you faster speeds.

So getting faster speeds is likely to do with some kind of compression of packets rather than something similar on a protocol level as you are seeing it across the board and not just HTTP.

Transparent proxies and stuff compressing stuff and your browser expanding can make HTTP much faster than your connection allows as an example which is easy to visualise.

Just an after-thought...does the router have a VM internal IP address too (for management or something?) and if so, would that be locked to the same speed as the config file gives for public WAN? Just wondered if in that setup, some confusion could cause the problem. Have you done a traceroute while it's at the faster speed?

Last edited by Qtx; 15-12-2017 at 17:33.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 18:25   #18
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I don't have any proxies or vpns running that would affect it, even if i did the PS4 can't use one yet it is also reading the higher speeds. It was the first thing i checked as an old VPN i used used to make upload speed look like it was doing double time when it really wasn't. I do some times use one on the Fire TV but it's irrelevant.

Not quite sure what you're talking about with the internal router IP. What am i supposed to look for in a tracert?
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 18:34   #19
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

VM would be the ones doing the compression of traffic, which would would give a similar false reading as a speedtest on a VPN. Even with a file download, if they are compressing it, you could get a faster speed than what your modem is getting if you can uncompress it quick enough. I gave HTTP as an example as browsers do thing like gzip part of a page and google has its own new compression for browsers.

As for the tracert, just see if there is an unusual route or extra hop, although the absence of anything doesn't mean something isn't being done with the traffic either :P
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 18:55   #20
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Ah i can understand that, as in aware it happens (with vpn anyway) even if not the how.

As for the tracert, I wouldn't know what to look for:

Code:
Tracing route to bbc.com [212.58.244.22]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     7 ms    11 ms    10 ms  192.168.0.1
  2    15 ms    21 ms    21 ms  10.98.180.1
  3    18 ms    20 ms    18 ms  sgyl-core-2b-xe-013-0.network.virginmedia.net [82.2.246.217]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    25 ms    45 ms    38 ms  tcl5-ic-4-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.192.246]
  7    30 ms    32 ms    29 ms  te4-3-602.prt0.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [212.58.239.93]
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10    25 ms    30 ms    33 ms  ae0.er02.telhc.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.105]
 11    33 ms    31 ms    30 ms  132.185.255.148
 12    29 ms    31 ms    30 ms  212.58.244.22

Trace complete.
Edit - speeds haven't dropped during peak times tonight.

Last edited by Kabaal; 15-12-2017 at 20:25.
Old 16-12-2017, 11:34   #21
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
VM would be the ones doing the compression of traffic, which would would give a similar false reading as a speedtest on a VPN. Even with a file download, if they are compressing it, you could get a faster speed than what your modem is getting if you can uncompress it quick enough. I gave HTTP as an example as browsers do thing like gzip part of a page and google has its own new compression for browsers.

As for the tracert, just see if there is an unusual route or extra hop, although the absence of anything doesn't mean something isn't being done with the traffic either :P
Depends what the OP was downloading, but I doubt it generally only things I see compress that much thesedays are virtual machine images where the disk is mostly sparse or large text documents/log files.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 14:19   #22
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Interesting. I posted recently reporting that the Virgin Media speed test software, that you can install on your PC, was giving me upstream results well over my upstream provisioning. I'm provisioned for 22Mb, but get up to 30Mb regularly. (Just now tested at 27Mb.)

This might be relevant. During the test, it bursts to over 100Mb, drops below 22Mb, but then settles well over 22Mb. On all other multi-thread tests I get the expected 21Mb. I'm guessing there is a problem with the VM software, because my processor remains at 5%.

Is it possible that your processor is getting stressed by the typical flash-based test? It might be worth checking processor usage during the test. Do you get exaggerated bursts of speed? This could suggest a stressed processor.

But, then you say that you get the same results on a file download method. Now, that is puzzling.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 15:59   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I know this is a stretch but it would be interesting to see if they are trialling some form of flexible bandwidth system where they guarantee a minimum speed and is what you pay for (e.g. 100mbits) but if more bandwidth is available during off peak periods they let you have it.

I doubt it is happening because other users would have reported it as well (and on other tiers) but it is an interesting concept.
I believe they are going to change the law so that companies have to be more honest about the true BB speed when advertising them, so this could be in preparation for that??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 17:35   #24
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I believe they are going to change the law so that companies have to be more honest about the true BB speed when advertising them, so this could be in preparation for that??
I doubt it as it would give those with a good connection a higher speed for nothing.

It is not a ruling for them to be more honest but more realistic. BB speeds will be based on what 50% of customers get rather than the present 10%.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 06:05   #25
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Still getting the same speeds, PS4 is downloading a game at 30MB/s ish right now.

@roughbeast as i said before, if it was just one device i'd be sceptical but it's all.
Old 22-12-2017, 08:13   #26
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

My modem has had a brain fart this morning

No idea whats going on there

And again

Crazy jumps and back to normal

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/

Last edited by Sirius; 22-12-2017 at 08:57.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 23:30   #27
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Mine is now back to normal speeds, not sure when it happened but sometime in the past 2 or 3 days. Nothing changed on my end.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:50   #28
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

I've been back on the silly speeds on and off over the past month. I haven't paid attention to the time of day but occasionally it's at a normal ~12MB/s but a lot of the time it's more like 30MB/s, such as this morning.

Config is still set for 115000000. I am on 24 down and 3 up channels nowadays but not sure that would make any difference.
Old 26-02-2018, 19:29   #29
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Getting a bit crazy now

Old 26-02-2018, 20:03   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

If they slipped a zero in there to make the upstream 60 up instead of 6 that would be a superb new tier to move up to. I think it was only yesterday that i was saying in another thread that 500/50 should be the next sensible tier on docsis 3.1 but 600/60 is a nice inbetween and then they can make the jump to 1gbit.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote