Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 19-12-2017, 12:20   #7666
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Will streaming be profitable though?

For instance, if a company gets a premier league package it won't be one of the all games in one round package, because they simply won't have the infrastructure to be able to film all of them in a 2-3 day period.

Whatever package they bid for the cost of filming and distribution will be enormous compared with the benefits.

Just how much will people pay for access to the stream?

NRL (Australian rugby league) is moving to streaming of all games in 2018 - no indication of cost as yet (apart from saying an equivalent for a different sport was approx. £20pm) - NRL was on Premier Sports (£10pm) so as far as I can see there will be few people willing to pay much more than £5pm for access to the streaming.

I i agine the feed will be from Australian broadcasters so apart from cost for the rights and streaming costs there can be little extra costs, but will they be able to make it pay?
Some good points being made about this, but in my view, none of these are unresolvable problems.

As far as the cost and resources required for infrastructure is concerned, I think someone has already made the point that they could rely on the filming that is organised by the Premier League itself. Until I read that, and I assume it was true, I had no idea that filming was taking place separately to that provided by Sky and BT. If true, I don't know whether the technical and professional quality is the same, but if so, it would appear that this problem is solved. If not, then clearly, the costs would be high, but if BT could do it, I'm sure that the big players, with their wads of money, can as well. If either Sky or BT lose out completely, the opportunity is already there for the incoming company to take over the infrastructure and employees (under TUPE).

The biggest problem, in my view, is accessing the same number or more viewers than BT and Sky manage to now, to make this pay. Given the current position with the roll out of broadband in this country, and the slow speeds many people have to put up with, my guess is that the new player(s) will go for a combination of streaming, existing channel outlets and new ones as well.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
According to Rupert Murdoch in a recent interview on TV he sees Facebook as the biggest threat.
Maybe they are, although Facebook does not currently have subscribers to a TV service like Amazon or Netflix. YouTube would be a more likely contender in my view, but I'm sure that Rupert, with his knowledge of and contacts in the industry must have his reasons for believing that to be the case.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 19-12-2017 at 12:16.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2017, 12:54   #7667
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

If streamers are taking any of the PL packages they will need to film/broadcast and stream it themselves (or pay someone to do it for them) as these will be additional matches To those shown by Sky/BT.

This will be a considerable cost per match, which the will either have to absorb or pass on.

The big question is will they expect people to subscribe for months/season or on an individual match basis.

If it is on a package basis will enough people pay enough to make it viable? Will there be sky high prices for pubs/clubs?

If it is on an individual basis people will be likely to only stream the big games.

No disrespect intended but who would pay to stream the likes of Stoke v Burnley, whereas some might to watch Man City v Man Utd at a reasonable price.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 17:10   #7668
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

A+E Networks and TalkTalk sign new “long-term” carriage deal.

http://www.seenit.co.uk/ae-networks-...carriage-deal/
Old 04-01-2018, 13:01   #7669
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Interestingly Den the Telegraph don't share your optimism for big increases on the Premier League rights.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...eague-pay-cut/
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:05   #7670
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Interestingly Den the Telegraph don't share your optimism for big increases on the Premier League rights.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...eague-pay-cut/
Well we shall see MM as read other publications and they differ in their thoughts.

Quote:
Bridge says the present holders of the live rights for the Premier League, Sky and BT Sport, will not go down without a fight, even though analysts say Sky could reportedly be forced to pay an extra £600 million ($803 million) annually due to increased competition.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sky-not-li...022713707.html

Last edited by denphone; 04-01-2018 at 13:14.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:28   #7671
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well we shall see MM as read other publications and they differ in their thoughts.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sky-not-li...022713707.html
The story from Yahoo was published before SKY and BT agreed to wholesale each others channels. Not too sure the article would read the same today.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 13:31   #7672
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
The story from Yahoo was published before SKY and BT agreed to wholesale each others channels. Not too sure the article would read the same today.
Well we shall see Chad as given my track record you might well be right but my hunch is for money raised from the TV rights to rise by 10 to 15% for the Premier league.
Old 04-01-2018, 13:46   #7673
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

With the fact that the Premier League are making more games available the rights very well could increase overall but it will be interesting to see on a match by match basis.

Sky always paid more and funded it by passing on price increases however this luxury has now come to an end in fact they've had to lower the cost of packages.

I've seen a deal knocking about some are being offered now of Sky Sports for £15 a month for 3 years. If that doesn't tell you how things are going I don't know what does.
Old 04-01-2018, 15:01   #7674
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
With the fact that the Premier League are making more games available the rights very well could increase overall but it will be interesting to see on a match by match basis.

Sky always paid more and funded it by passing on price increases however this luxury has now come to an end in fact they've had to lower the cost of packages.

I've seen a deal knocking about some are being offered now of Sky Sports for £15 a month for 3 years. If that doesn't tell you how things are going I don't know what does.

I predicted the gravy train may have hit the buffers some time ago in response to posts that streaming would take over.

The BT/Sky agreement seems to have at least put the brakes on. I read this article twice this morning with interest. PL bosses are still talking up streamer interest despite quotes from those companies denying interest at this time.

The next time PL rights come up for grabs (2021/2022) may be the time streamers try to come on board assuming PL doesn't do the obvious thing - setting up their own subscription based streams.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 17:25   #7675
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I predicted the gravy train may have hit the buffers some time ago in response to posts that streaming would take over.

The BT/Sky agreement seems to have at least put the brakes on. I read this article twice this morning with interest. PL bosses are still talking up streamer interest despite quotes from those companies denying interest at this time.

The next time PL rights come up for grabs (2021/2022) may be the time streamers try to come on board assuming PL doesn't do the obvious thing - setting up their own subscription based streams.

I think that is the most likely, not least because we are still working on getting our broadband infrastructure up to date. If the streamers won rights to the Premiership matches this time around, too any people would be unable to stream these matches to their TV sets.

I think it is possible that Amazon could go for it this time, but if they do, they could decide to supplement their streaming service with some broadcast linear channels of their own. This would ensure that they had access to maximum audience share.
Old 04-01-2018, 19:17   #7676
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
[/B]

I think that is the most likely, not least because we are still working on getting our broadband infrastructure up to date. If the streamers won rights to the Premiership matches this time around, too any people would be unable to stream these matches to their TV sets.

I think it is possible that Amazon could go for it this time, but if they do, they could decide to supplement their streaming service with some broadcast linear channels of their own. This would ensure that they had access to maximum audience share.
I very much agree about the future could be streaming for sports. Far too many tosh teams currently in the top flight. Sometimes I can’t even be bothered switching on for an “exciting” Bournemouth vs West Brom game etc.

I believe viewership are down? So that’ll mean ads are down. Sky must be starting to realise it’s value isn’t as high now. Teams like leeds, Derby, forest, Sheffield’s not being present doesn’t help either!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 21:55   #7677
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...-uk-tv-rights/
Old 04-01-2018, 22:44   #7678
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

Den won't be having any of that.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:37   #7679
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Den won't be having any of that.......
Its not about having any of it MM but you have heard of over exaggerated hyperbole as that is what it has always been IMO and nothing more.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:19   #7680
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Good find, muppetman, well done!

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its not about having any of it MM but you have heard of over exaggerated hyperbole as that is what it has always been IMO and nothing more.
Not really, Den. We are now experiencing a period of rapid change and we cannot rely entirely on what has happened in previous years to predict the future.