Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 08-01-2016, 08:56   #6196
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sorry but certain channels like Dave and several others like Yesterday quite clearly have a certain audience and have always had that but when you start putting boxing on one channel and garden programmes on the other then in my opinion they have quite clearly have not any idea of how to run a channel to its stated remit as they have simply lost the plot in my humble opinion.
But Dave is geared towards a 'Blokes' or 'Lads' channel. Surely boxing fits right into that niche?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2016, 09:04   #6197
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Not in my opinion as if that was the case then why has it not shown any sport in its 9 years as its remit was for a certain type of programme/series and Dave like Yesterday and several others channels is veering far too far from the remit of what the channel should be showing in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:25   #6198
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not in my opinion as if that was the case then why has it not shown any sport in its 9 years as its remit was for a certain type of programme/series and Dave like Yesterday and several others channels is veering far too far from the remit of what the channel should be showing in my opinion.
Boxing is a sport, but I would think is predominantly a sport watched mainly by men. And I could possibly see that it is watched by some people who aren't interested in any other sport. Another example of a sport watched by people who quite possibly don't watch any other sport would be motor racing.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:02   #6199
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

So if its a sport then put it on a sports channel....
Old 08-01-2016, 15:12   #6200
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
So if its a sport then put it on a sports channel....

I think you're being completely absurd, but I'll play along. Which Sports channel would you like it to be shown on?
Old 08-01-2016, 15:40   #6201
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Well a sports channel that shows sport obviously my dear chap unless of course you want it to be shown on one of these newfangled shopping channels.
Old 08-01-2016, 15:59   #6202
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Well a sports channel that shows sport obviously my dear chap unless of course you want it to be shown on one of these newfangled shopping channels.
So a dedicated sports channel then? Aren't they all premium channels, or require a level above Freeview to watch them?
Old 08-01-2016, 16:06   #6203
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Of course it should be shown on a dedicated sports channel but you knew that anyway.
Old 08-01-2016, 16:11   #6204
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Well done Dave I say for getting the rights to show a boxing match. Dave is an entertainment channel and although boxing isn`t my thing I stil see it as entertainment so fits okay with the channel in my opinion.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 16:34   #6205
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Well each to their own opinions as that's what this forum is all about.
Old 08-01-2016, 18:30   #6206
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Well each to their own opinions as that's what this forum is all about.
To be fair Den I can see your point here , that said I can also see why others say they welcome it being on Dave as it's available on freeview.

Generally sport on anything other than a dedicated sports channels is generally poor when it comes to build up and analysis and the studio guests are generally the cheapest they could find for the coverage.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 19:23   #6207
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Of course it should be shown on a dedicated sports channel but you knew that anyway.
I don't know that at all.

The more sport that goes on a FTA channel, the better. And I say that as someone who never watches sport.

More and more sport has gone to pay TV over the years, depriving many people who can't afford the exorbitant price of pay TV sports channels, the chance to view it.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised at you Den for not taking that into consideration.
Old 08-01-2016, 20:13   #6208
denphone
Still alive and fighting

l would rather pay a bit more to watch sport as basically they don't take sport very seriously on Terrestrial TV and treat it more as a irritating sideshow thus l prefer proper professional sports channels dedicated to sports rather then the amateurish approach taken to it on Terrestrial TV on a regular basis.
Old 08-01-2016, 20:48   #6209
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Not that I care about the boxing, but I think any free to air sport is good. What if they broke the bank and got the cricket and shared it with Channel 4 though Den? Surely that is better than the alternative?
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 20:55   #6210
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Certain events will always be shown free to air and l am glad of that for some people but sadly the coverage of them is often shoddy and amateurish compared to the pay TV sports channels so what represents real value is entirely in the eye of the beholder.