Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 100Mb now available in NW London

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

will VM send out a text msg ?

Old 28-06-2012, 19:35   #1
blaupunkt
Inactive

blaupunkt is an unknown quantity at this point
will VM send out a text msg ?

Hi the other month when VM upgraded our area to the 100mb line i sent off for the SHub not realising that my current modem was OK with those speeds and it was my router giving me issues.

about 20mins ago i received a text on my mobile telling that that "if i have not yet activated my equipment i should call the activations team on 0800 953 9500 before 05.07.2012"

is this legit, should i ring them and let them know i do not want to use the shub until my current modem does not work ?

EDIT - i should add that i dont even remember giving VM my mobile so ive no idea how they are sending me texts.
blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2012, 19:39   #2
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: will VM send out a text msg ?

All I can say is that it's the correct number for activations. Not sure what happens if you don't activate the SH.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 20:30   #3
blaupunkt
Inactive

thats what im wondering, what will happen if i dont activate it, if i knew my area was OK then i would not have any issues using it as a modem only but ive read that many bad reports it puts me off trying it.
Old 28-06-2012, 20:48   #4
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Well if you do activate it you'll get the R36 firmware in a few days. I'm on the R36 trial and it is a big improvement. If the wireless performance isn't good enough you can always put it in modem mode and use your own router.
Old 28-06-2012, 20:51   #5
blaupunkt
Inactive

ok, but i only want it for the modem i went out and brought the ASUS RT-N56U to replace my old linksys.
Old 28-06-2012, 21:01   #6
jempalmer

I assume you're using the VMNG300 at present. If so you'll find plenty of people here who would probably commit murder to prevent VM from taking it away from them. The only caveat with the VMNG is that it only supports 4 downstream channels. Since you have bought the Asus then using the Shub in modem mode means that if your area has or will get more than 4 D/S you probably would be better off with the Shub. This is just my opinion.
Old 28-06-2012, 21:26   #7
blaupunkt
Inactive

yes your right, i dont believe my area has been changed to more than 4D/S do you know if all areas will be getting this, is there any way of finding out if when my area will get it ?
Old 28-06-2012, 21:52   #8
jempalmer

Short answer, no I don't know where will get the extra D/S or if it's possible to find out. Only VM have that info. However, as I understand it, areas that are oversubscribed should be upgraded. We went from 4 to 6 D/S about two months ago. In addition the infrastructure seems to have been improved in the last few days as Crawley connections are far better now.
Old 28-06-2012, 23:26   #9
blaupunkt
Inactive

ok thanks.
Old 28-06-2012, 23:32   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Well if you do activate it you'll get the R36 firmware in a few days. I'm on the R36 trial and it is a big improvement. If the wireless performance isn't good enough you can always put it in modem mode and use your own router.
Do you mean the less yellow on the TBB graph is your improvement? Because alot of people across the country have that very same graph and most people are still on the normal firmware like myself and i think my graph is great.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 07:38   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I assume you're using the VMNG300 at present. If so you'll find plenty of people here who would probably commit murder to prevent VM from taking it away from them.
I am one of those peeps dudes, don't do it. Your speed will still get upgraded regardless of whether you activate the shub or not and you won't have any probs getting your speed. I am using 4 channels atm and getting max upstream and downstream and my area is running on 7 channels. The way to look at it is that even though you are loading balancing across 4 channels, if everyone else is spread across 7 (for example) then it means they are using your channels less which leaves more juice for you.

The best advice I can give you before you shoot yourself in the foot is not to be too hasty. Keep the vmng300 and see how things go. If you do have speed issues post-upgrade then you can get your shub activated. You are in a fortunate position where it is win-win all round for you.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 08:37   #12
blaupunkt
Inactive

so just ignore the text then or should i contact them and say i dont want to use the shub ?
Old 29-06-2012, 09:40   #13
jempalmer

Just hang on to it in case you need it in the future. As the General says, you're in a win-win situation. The cut off date is irrelevant as you will be able to get the Shub activated after then. If they don't ask for it back then keep it as "insurance for a rainy day".
Old 29-06-2012, 09:55   #14
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You are in a fortunate position where it is win-win all round for you.
Yes, concur, I'm in the same boat. I am using the VMNG300 with an ASUS RT-N16 router, and 4 channels. Upgrades are due 'after July....'
No issues whatsoever, and when the area finallly gets upgraded I can provision the S'Hub I have (only if I need to), hopefully with R36
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 10:11   #15
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Guys, can we stop this Superhub Vs. VMNG300 stuff? It's off topic.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote