Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | pug 407 head unit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Re-Usable Water

Old 04-03-2012, 14:17   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Cool Re-Usable Water

I'm trying to find out some information on how to filter and store rainwater so it can be re-used in general daily living, IE; Garden Irrigation, Drinking, Wine Making etc.

I don't know where to start, and I don't want to buy a water tank and end up finding out i bought the wrong thing.

Is it possible to collect rainwater, and store it in containers, and then re use this as drinking water?

What about water becoming stagnant in hot weather?

How do you keep the water filtered?
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 14:53   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Re-Usable Water

I would never drink roof-collected rainwater unless it had been treated, birds poop on your roof you know! The cost of boiling to sterilise for other purposes would not be cost-effective either. But as grey water it's ideal for car washing, plant watering, etc.

I fitted guttering around our brick shed, the downpipe feeds into 2 water butts that then supply me with water for the fish pools (ideal as there is no chlorine or heavy metals in it) and garden. You can buy attachments for your house downpipes that allow collection for water in butts.

The water will stagnate, especially if "wildlife" gets in it, but I just make sure I use it within a week or so, so that it is still "fresh". A few drops of washing up liquid will break the surface tension, killing any mossie larvae that get in as they won't be able to breath at the surface. The lack of surface tension also makes the water ideal for hanging baskets, pots, etc. as it will "wet" the compost easier. NO detergent for the fishpool water storage though!!!!!

I empty the butts and leave the taps open during the winter to prevent freezing damage.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 14:54   #3
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Is this any good?

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/fo...hp?topic=17252

Don't worry, there are no naked scientists (on the site)
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:20   #4
Barewolf
Inactive

Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Is this any good?

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/fo...hp?topic=17252

Don't worry, there are no naked scientists (on the site)

According to the link from this, using this method you could save over £600 a year in water charges, Amazing info from this link cheers

Just goes to show how much these companies make from us, when with a little knowledge and hard work, you can make your own water system
Old 04-03-2012, 15:29   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
According to the link from this, using this method you could save over £600 a year in water charges, Amazing info from this link cheers

Just goes to show how much these companies make from us, when with a little knowledge and hard work, you can make your own water system
I could see the advantages if you have a water meter but if not i would say that using rainwater for drinking is not going to be feasible cost wise .I would also say don't take too much notice of that £600 figure those sort of guesstimates are rarely accurate and people are often disappointed with the savings.
Old 04-03-2012, 15:35   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I don't think I pay anywhere near £600 a year in water rates, and that includes sewage charges, so £600 pa savings seem rather unlikely.
Old 04-03-2012, 15:38   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Just remember that one mistake with home made water filtering/processing could end up with yourself or a family member seriously ill in hospital..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 15:47   #8
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Try living in Scotland...so much water here we can't even give it away (nor would we, got to make money some how )
Old 04-03-2012, 15:54   #9
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Just remember that one mistake with home made water filtering/processing could end up with yourself or a family member seriously ill in hospital..
Hence me asking in the forum. I'm still studying the process used by other people on Youtube, and reading up what I can find online.

As far as I can tell, you need a 1st flush system, that is able to filter the rainwater. People are using 2 filters or more. And an overflow pipe to take away excess water to ponds.

I also noticed people used a tap at the bottom of the tank for garden water, and the house water (Drinkable) at about 1/4 the way up from the bottom.

I don't know if this is all that's needed, some look very complicated, others look very simple. But i wouldn't carry out this project if i wasn't 100% sure it was safe at the end of it all.
Old 04-03-2012, 16:10   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Any stored rainwater will not be 100% drinkable without using a process such as filtering/reverse osmosis and boiling/chemical sterilizing.. As already said in this thread you have bird crap and gawd knows what being flushed down off the roof.. Some stuff will settle where others will dissolve into the water.

Most disease control centres regard bird poo as a major health hazard and a possible disease carrier.
Old 04-03-2012, 16:15   #11
Barewolf
Inactive

Quote:
Any stored rainwater will not be 100% drinkable without using a process such as filtering/reverse osmosis and boiling/chemical sterilizing.. As already said in this thread you have bird crap and gawd knows what being flushed down off the roof.. Some stuff will settle where others will dissolve into the water.

Most disease control centres regard bird poo as a major health hazard and a possible disease carrier.
Would Doulton ceramic candle filter be enough?

Dont you have a water system set up Kymmy? Im sure someone on the forum has one.
Old 04-03-2012, 16:24   #12
colin25
Inactive

Quote:

To be honest..i don't need disease control centre telling me anything about poo...my rule of thumb..if it is coming out that end..best to avoid
Old 04-03-2012, 16:25   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
..my rule of thumb..if it is coming out that end..best to avoid
What? Your thumb?
Old 04-03-2012, 16:29   #14
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
Would Doulton ceramic candle filter be enough?

Dont you have a water system set up Kymmy? Im sure someone on the forum has one.
To be honest mate i would steer clear of using the water for drinking ,we are in the 21st century .How much rain can you gather compared to how much you use .Use it for the garden,chickens and possibly wine making as long as you filter and boil it
Old 04-03-2012, 16:29   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

Not me, I'm not stupid enough to risk my health..Wiki says it all with this line
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Simple procedures such as boiling or the use of a household activated carbon filter are not sufficient for treating all the possible contaminants
The water we drink from the taps normally has gone through a number of processes starting with filtration, deionization (or at very least a high pressure fed reverse osmosis which does both purposes) and finally a disinfection (various methods) which removes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Possible pathogens include viruses, bacteria, including Salmonella, Cholera, Campylobacter and Shigella, and protozoa, including Giardia lamblia and other cryptosporidia
Not all water in the world needs such processes especially from underground sources but they have been filtered through the rocks which acts as a filter/deioniser but water from a surface run-off (lake, river, roof fed water butt) definitely will need all the above