Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | playstation 3 HDD space

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

playstation 3 HDD space

Old 29-12-2009, 14:48   #16
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Re: playstation 3 HDD space

Back it up to an external hard drive if you have one?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2009, 14:50   #17
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwe View Post
im thinking of getting the 320 one you said don't really need the 500 one

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

you know when you back it up where does it back up to all i read is that you have to back it up but where to
Seriously! are you really 21?

Back it up to an external USB hard drive. Its fairly simple really.
Old 29-12-2009, 14:58   #18
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Seriously! are you really 21?

Back it up to an external USB hard drive. Its fairly simple really.
yes but i just want to make sure i do it right how much room would you reckomend i need to back it up on a usb stick
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 22:09   #19
D_Skids
Inactive

D_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant future

Quote:
yes but i just want to make sure i do it right how much room would you reckomend i need to back it up on a usb stick
How long is a piece of string!

The size depends on the size of your game saves and any other data you might want to back up and only you will know that.

By the way its 'Recommend'
D_Skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 08:23   #20
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well if your 60GB HDD is full I would make sure your external back up device is at least that size.
Old 30-12-2009, 10:51   #21
zing_deleted

can you not buy a 10 quid 2.5 inch enclosure bung the old drive in that and then just copy it back to the new drive? least then you will end up with a usefull 60 gig external hdd

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-5-inch-SATA-...item2ea67a440c
Old 30-12-2009, 14:46   #22
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I don't think that would work - I'm pretty sure the contents of the drive would not be readable by anything other than a PS3. [EDIT ...and that the drive would need to be *in* the PS3 for the PS3 to read it. If the drive was in an enclosure & used as an external USB HDD, the PS3 would only read it if formatted in FAT32].

wwe - what have you actually filled your PS3's HDD with? What do you have on there that definitely needs to be backed up? DLC does not need to be backed up, as it can be re-downloaded. Game installs do not need to be backed up, as you just re-install them. Game saves obviously need backing up. What do you have? What has taken up so much space that you "can't play any new games"?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 16:21   #23
wwe
cf.mega poster

wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

i filled it with ps3 games i got 3 videos on from psn it saids i got 1962mb space free what do orther people use to backup there data couse once i found out what to get them im going to buy 1 of the hard drive that was said on page 1 in this fourm from play
Old 02-01-2010, 19:10   #24
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Any game data which has been installed from a disc-based game can simply be re-installed once the new HDD is in.

Any games downloaded from PSN should be linked to your account and can be re-downloaded once the new HDD is in.

Videos downloaded from PSN should also be linked to your account and can be re-downloaded once the new HDD is in.

When I swapped drives, all I backed up was my game saves. I just copied them over to a USB memory stick. Easier than using loads of space for a full backup to a USB external HDD

However... I believe that there are some games whose game saves cannot be copied & must be properly backed up via the backup function. Dunno which games, but a simple test is to just try & copy the saves.

If you want to play it safe, buy or borrow an external USB2 HDD with enough space to do a full backup of your PS3.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 12:53   #25
wwe
cf.mega poster

hi i got a 64gb usb stick and its not picking it up it will find my orther usb sticks but not this 1 how come?
Old 14-01-2010, 13:11   #26
D_Skids
Inactive

D_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant futureD_Skids has a brilliant future

Quote:
hi i got a 64gb usb stick and its not picking it up it will find my orther usb sticks but not this 1 how come?
I am guessing it is not formatted as Fat32 as Fat32 can only format up to 32Gb drives. But the PS3 needs a Fat32 drive to backup to.

I just read your previous thread about what do people use to backup their data, I didn't think there were other options apart from the one built into the PS3 OS but even if there were I would use the PS3 one as thats what it is there for!

I upgraded my PS3 to a 320Gb drive last night and it was completed in about 1 and a half hours which includes the time it took to backup and restore my data.
Everything is back as it was but with all the extra capacity.
Old 14-01-2010, 13:21   #27
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Playstation 3 only understands FAT32, take it the stick is formatted NTFS?

Edit: teach me to walk away before replying lol
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 13:22   #28
wwe
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Skids View Post
I am guessing it is not formatted as Fat32 as Fat32 can only format up to 32Gb drives. But the PS3 needs a Fat32 drive to backup to.

I just read your previous thread about what do people use to backup their data, I didn't think there were other options apart from the one built into the PS3 OS but even if there were I would use the PS3 one as thats what it is there for!

I upgraded my PS3 to a 320Gb drive last night and it was completed in about 1 and a half hours which includes the time it took to backup and restore my data.
how did you back it all up
Old 14-01-2010, 13:31   #29
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Skids View Post

That is not correct

XP and windows 2000 had that limitation built into it by design. FAt32 drives can be much much larger

Quote:
Windows XP and Windows 2000 limit partition creation to no larger than 32GB on FAT32. This limitation is by design: Microsoft wants you to use NTFS for large drives. If you use Windows Me or Windows 98 to format a drive, XP and Win2K can use a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB; however, these OSs can't create the partition. Also, keep in mind that when you use ATA/IDE hard disks larger than 127GB, you might need to update your computer's or hard disk controller's BIOS to properly support those larger drives.
http://windowsitpro.com/article/arti...s-and-fat.html

Quote:
The maximum possible number of clusters on a volume using the FAT32 file system is 268,435,445. With a maximum of 32 KB per cluster with space for the file allocation table (FAT), this equates to a maximum disk size of approximately 8 terabytes (TB).
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;184006

Just cuz an OS does not allow it does not mean it can not be done
Old 14-01-2010, 13:42   #30
D_Skids
Inactive

Quote:
how did you back it all up
I had a 16Gb USB pen formatted to Fat32. I had 13Gb of data so it wasn't a problem.

You will have to bite the bullet and delete some stuff before doing a backup. Like has been said previously if you have downloaded stuff from the PSN store you can delete it and then download it again after you have upgraded you don't have to pay again.

Also go into Game Data and remove old game data (Games you no longer have or no longer play) and maybe Game updates, some of these game updates can be pretty big, then when you run the game after the HDD update it will just download it again.