Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Finding out your IP address of your router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Help with Firmware Upgrade

Old 26-01-2007, 20:34   #1
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough
Help with Firmware Upgrade

Hi

Just trying to update the firmware on my WRT54GS UK router, download the correct file from linksys and went to router homepage, browsed to file and then upgrade. That was about 20 mins ago, stuck half through, what should I do, will it finish or have I screwed my router.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-01-2007, 20:46   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Help with Firmware Upgrade

did it say it was writing the file? are you sure its not finished?
Old 26-01-2007, 20:48   #3
videodj
cf.addict

videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

Bar just stop moving and timer on curser is showing
Old 26-01-2007, 20:50   #4
zing_deleted

oh dear best ask them before you do anything if it has started to write and its failed it could spell disaster
Old 26-01-2007, 20:54   #5
videodj
cf.addict

Well, I closed ie window, then reopened and entered ip address and took me to homepage, seems all ok, and firmware version has changed. Not sure what happened.
Old 26-01-2007, 21:00   #6
zing_deleted

you can say phew then
Old 26-01-2007, 21:10   #7
videodj
cf.addict

Yes, I did indeed

Thanks for your help.
Old 26-01-2007, 21:22   #8
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

trick question...did you run the firmware from wired or wireless?

if wireless then your extremely lucky to get into your router again.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 22:02   #9
videodj
cf.addict

wired
Old 26-01-2007, 22:47   #10
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
you can say phew then
even if he had bricked it it might not have been the end of the world.

I bricked my dlink g624t the other day when the updater crashed out halfway though flashing it with the Routertech firmware

Fortuantly the bootloader was still intact so i was able to manually set the ip/gateway address on the pc and rerun the update ultility.

So i guess if it had have been bricked providing the bootloader was intact and able to be accessed it might not have been the end for that router.

Btw the routertech firmware is brilliant, if you own a compatable router its well worth a try.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 14:04   #11
Goss
Inactive

Goss is an unknown quantity at this point

I had problem about ten mins ago with firmware upgrade on linksys BEFSR41 router. I went straight to linksys uk? site found product, downloaded firmware, but when i tried to update it kept on failing, did that a few times, no joy. Then i realised these routers have different versions, mine was V3 so i scanned the download section on linksys site instead of the product, and i was then able to download the proper firmware update. I never realised there are so many different versions of the BEFSR41.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote