Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vpn and access point help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wifi Calling

Old 28-04-2024, 13:16   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Wifi Calling

I have issues making calls and have been told that Wifi Calling is the solution to this. However I use an ethernet cable with the wireless aspect of the router switched off and to make Wifi Calling work, I would have to switch this on.

My computer has the wifi logo with a line through it, which underlines that the computer is not connecting to the internet wirelessly. However, if I set up Wifi Calling, and thereby switch on the wireless aspect of my computer, would I still be able to stop my computer connecting wirelessly to the internet, thereby only being online on my computer when the ethernet cable is plugged in?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2024, 15:09   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wifi Calling

Surely you can just turn wifi off on the computer ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 19:50   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Simply disable the WiFi on your PC network settings.
Old 28-04-2024, 20:37   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

You appear to not want the router to have WiFi enabled. If the PC allows you to do WiFi calling, then it has to use the wired connection, and you would only be able to use it when the PC is on.
Not sure why you're so averse to enabling WiFi connection to the internet.

Last edited by nomadking; 28-04-2024 at 21:58.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 21:06   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
You appear to not want the router to have WiFi enabled. If the PC allows you to do WiFi calling, then it has to use the wired connection, and you would only be able to use it when the PC is on.
Not sure why you're so adverse to enabling WiFi connection to the internet.
I think they meant WiFi calling on their mobile, but have WiFi disabled as they only want the PC to connect to router via ethernet. .
Old 28-04-2024, 22:02   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I think they meant WiFi calling on their mobile, but have WiFi disabled as they only want the PC to connect to router via ethernet. .
Haven't tried it myself, but surely you can enable WiFi on the PC but with a wired connection to the internet. To have WiFI calling, there has to be a connection to the internet somewhere.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
I have issues making calls and have been told that Wifi Calling is the solution to this. However I use an ethernet cable with the wireless aspect of the router switched off and to make Wifi Calling work, I would have to switch this on.

My computer has the wifi logo with a line through it, which underlines that the computer is not connecting to the internet wirelessly. However, if I set up Wifi Calling, and thereby switch on the wireless aspect of my computer, would I still be able to stop my computer connecting wirelessly to the internet, thereby only being online on my computer when the ethernet cable is plugged in?
How else would your computer connect to the internet? The router has WiFi disabled, so there's no other possible path than wired.
Old 28-04-2024, 22:40   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I think you are misunderstanding the question and situation.

The OP is not talking about making wifi calls from the PC. But using the mobile phone to make/receive calls over WiFi as his mobile signal isn't great at home.

However the PC is connected by ethernet to router as the OP doesn't want the PC to use the WiFi connection, preferring wired. Was asking if he enables the routers WiFi again, if they can turn of the PCs WiFi, thereby ensuring it will still be utilising the wired connection.
Old 28-04-2024, 22:52   #8
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Leave the wifi off (on the router)

Create a hotspot on Windows 10 or Windows 11, open the Settings app, navigate to Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot, then click the toggle to share your internet connection. Click "Edit" to customize the network name and password..

The PC will not connect to the router via wifi.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 23:32   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:

The OP is not talking about making wifi calls from the PC. But using the mobile phone to make/receive calls over WiFi as his mobile signal isn't great at home.

However the PC is connected by ethernet to router as the OP doesn't want the PC to use the WiFi connection, preferring wired. Was asking if he enables the routers WiFi again, if they can turn of the PCs WiFi, thereby ensuring it will still be utilising the wired connection.
It's about using the PC's WiFi to use WiFi calling without the PC using WiFI to connect to the internet. The PC can't connect to the internet using WifI, unless there is a router with WiFI enabled.

WiFi calling still needs the internet, so the PC would still need to use the wired connection for that.
Old 28-04-2024, 23:34   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post

Create a hotspot on Windows 10 or Windows 11, open the Settings app, navigate to Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot, then click the toggle to share your internet connection. Click "Edit" to customize the network name and password..

Easier just to disable the PC's wifi adapter.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 00:01   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Easier just to disable the PC's wifi adapter.
Exactly and turn the routers WiFi back on.
Old 30-04-2024, 15:09   #12
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Thank you for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Surely you can just turn wifi off on the computer ?
I have done this as I cannot connect to the internet unless the ethernet cable is pulled into my computer.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Quote:

That is precisely what I am asking Stephen.

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post

Thank you for that input but I use a Mac, not a PC.
Old 30-04-2024, 18:45   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
I have done this as I cannot connect to the internet unless the ethernet cable is pulled into my computer.
I'm not really sure your stating this as an issue.
Assuming you mean "plugged" then obviously you wont have internet unless you plug it in.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 14:35   #14
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Yes I meant plugged.
Old 01-05-2024, 16:24   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My area has a poor mobile signal (NIMBY's cried about the 5G mask and it hasn't happened) I just turned on Wi-fi calling in my phones settings, and as my phone is linked to my wifi at home it just makes the call.