Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

Old 17-12-2008, 10:34   #91
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB79 View Post
These Torrent Bandits are probably the same people that leave their water taps running constantly and cause water shortages.
If you hadn't of said that I would have took you seriously.
Who leaves their taps running constantly?

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Actually setting up their own p2p network would be just about the best thing they can do. Internal traffic costs peanuts, p2p between customers on the same ISP would cut their costs dramatically.

They won't lose people because every other ISP is either already doing it, or will be in the future. You can go on about how o2 and be don't, but they will.
You can't use the excuse that every other ISP is either already doing it, or will be in the future.
Not every other ISP is already doing it, and not every other ISP will be doing it in the future.
the only ISP that wants to censor the internet is Virgin. and censoring the internet will lose them customers.
Berkett is an idiot. he thinks that he is the leading broadband supplier and he seems to think that changing what we can do on the internet is his role in life as an idiot.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2008, 10:42   #92
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary
the only ISP that wants to censor the internet is Virgin. and censoring the internet will lose them customers.
Berkett is an idiot. he thinks that he is the leading broadband supplier and he seems to think that changing what we can do on the internet is his role in life as an idiot.
Your views on Berkett aside, can you please explain how giving a lower priority to p2p traffic over other traffic types is censoring?

For the record I don't disagree it will loose VM, or any other ISP customers, that's a given, and probably a partial goal too.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:00   #93
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB79 View Post
(Its about time this was introduced.... people are killing the bandwidth by running torrent servers 24 / 7 and everyone else is suffering put em at the bottom of the pile that's what I say.) These Torrent Bandits are probably the same people that leave their water taps running constantly and cause water shortages.
I think that is a very uncompromising position to take. Bittorrent users have just as much right to their share of the bandwith and any shaping should be done equally so it is fair for everyone and dosnt just pick out certain protocols. Also this shaping should be controlled on the fly depending how much traffic there is on the network. if its 9pm and a quiet night I would like to see the throttling reduced or stopped if there is sufficient bandwith together.

I saw something somewhere about a US ISP that has a very good traffic management. Instead of having their speed reduced for a number of hours the system gave people who have not used their bandwith much priority over people who hit the trigger. but if there are only a few users on at a particular time nobody is shaped but if its really busy during peak hours the heaviest downloaders are pushed to the back of the queue for bandwith.

Impz
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:01   #94
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Your views on Berkett aside, can you please explain how giving a lower priority to p2p traffic over other traffic types is censoring?
Quote:
Speaking after Virgin Media announced its 50Mb/s super-fast broadband package, Berkett also branded as "naive" any of his rivals who think that they can keep increasing the speed of the connections they offer customers without also taking some responsibility for what those customers then do online, especially if they use their internet connection for illegal filesharing.

Berkett said dealing with illegal filesharing and using information about what customers do online in order to create better targeted online advertising are both issues that involve the emergence of a "digital conscience" within the industry.

Berkett, however, said calls for legislation to stop filesharing - as is being attempted in France - should not be heeded. Instead, customers will ultimately only change their behaviour when the content industry and the ISPs work together to create applications that mean people do not feel the need to illegally copy intellectual property.

"I think it is naive, to say the least, for a network provider on one hand to be talking about leading in next generation broadband and creating intelligence across their networks that ultimately they can monetise, and then (to be) sticking their head in the sand and saying they have no obligation to help in terms of (protecting) intellectual property," he said.
Old 17-12-2008, 11:06   #95
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Still not seeing it as censoring, can you explain please?
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:09   #96
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice

Quote:
Still not seeing it as censoring, can you explain please?
I don't see the logic in calling this censoring its not like that at all !
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:10   #97
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

if you want to see censorship then look at be* with the iwf and acertain wikipedia page...
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:11   #98
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

maybe discriminating would be a better word instead of censoring
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:16   #99
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
if you want to see censorship then look at be* with the iwf and acertain wikipedia page...
Wasn't it the case with Virgin too?
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=16569

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
maybe discriminating would be a better word instead of censoring
Ok, we'll use the word discriminating. but Berketts goal is to eventually censor. he has already said as much.
Old 17-12-2008, 11:21   #100
Horace
ゥBeam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Most of my heaviest downloading comes from torrent sites, the rest from Usenet which is also mentioned. I'm well out of my original contract so I'll wait and see how bad things get before deciding to jump (including Phorm). There may not be many alternatives by that time and even then the overall effect of having a much lower maximum speed due to ADSL line length may be greater than VM's throttling.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 11:42   #101
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

Quote:

For the record I don't disagree it will loose VM, or any other ISP customers, that's a given, and probably a partial goal too.
Censoring probably isn't the best word to use, but certainly Virgin will be an ISP with a very unbalanced, discriminatory, intrusive, restricted, and highly spied upon internet service.

The combination of very limiting download caps, difficult to avoid phorm spyware installation, over the top prices, and now the throttling of P2P makes Virgin look like pretty much the worst ISP around.

It's only the speed they're able to offer (if you live in the right areas) that makes them in any way appealing.
moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 12:21   #102
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookguy View Post
Amazing I pay them nearly テつ」400 a year for my broadband and I'm not allowed to do what I want with it. it's bad enough we get traffic shaped at the moment but hammering down Torrent bandwidth too surely means we should get a rebate or a reduction in costs.
Just to put that into perspective, your テつ」400 a year will pay for just over 1.5Mbps of external transit. Add on the costs of the equipment within VM's network, the cost of supporting it, the costs of the billing and support departments, and then think about that when you think you're not getting what you pay for.

Surely that means you should get billed for the bandwidth you use, or an increase in costs? Thought not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L
You can't use the excuse that every other ISP is either already doing it, or will be in the future.
Not every other ISP is already doing it, and not every other ISP will be doing it in the future.
It's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

If after all I've said in this thread you can't see why all ISPs eventually need some control over the usage of their networks then you have a pretty blinkered and one sided view of the situation.

I'll repeat it again, it's simply NOT VIABLE to offer a truely unlimited service. The costs involved with providing transit out to the internet, the costs of the internal infrastructure, the costs of supporting it, are all far too high to ever beable to offer a truely unlimited service at residential broadband prices.

As such we have pseudo-unlimited service, where it's unlimited whilst price of service x number of subscribers x average bandwith used is less than the cost of providing that total bandwidth. Once average bandwidth used increases to make the cost of providing it higher than the revenue from the consumers you WILL see limits on all ISPs. There is no way Be, Sky, or O2 will provide you with a service at a loss, so once enough people are hammering it so as they can't make money on it, they will limit.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 12:31   #103
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
Just to put that into perspective, your テつ」400 a year will pay for just over 1.5Mbps of external transit. Add on the costs of the equipment within VM's network, the cost of supporting it, the costs of the billing and support departments, and then think about that when you think you're not getting what you pay for.

Surely that means you should get billed for the bandwidth you use, or an increase in costs? Thought not.
They dictate the prices. they tell us all these heavy uses we can do with it. infact they encourage it at the signup page. they keep throwing all this speed at us to tempt us to buy it. but at the end of the day they can't afford to do it really, and we should all stop doing anything with our connections but keep paying them the money because we feel sorry for them.
Old 17-12-2008, 12:53   #104
HSp8
Inactive

HSp8 is an unknown quantity at this point

I blame the BBC and their bloody iPlayer

why can't they just buy a newsgroup server to take the perssure off the network?
HSp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 13:03   #105
Xan
Inactive

Xan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the roughXan is a jewel in the rough

The only reason i am with VM is to download films, game, demos and so on at a cost of テつ」25 a month if that goes i will move to sky and pay the same price and get a package off them with free internet or pay テつ」10 slower speed but i get that with VM as i download at peak when i am on my comp.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote