Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung V+ box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Samsung V+ box

Old 15-01-2018, 15:51   #16
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Samsung V+ box

Really? You record and watch 40-50 hours of sport a week? A full time job!
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-01-2018, 17:49   #17
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
BEWARE CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT
1TB is more than enough for those who use the box to record and watch programs.
For those that see it as an archive box - WHY?
I only record what I want to watch, and when I have watched it, I delete it. Currently, my two V6 boxes are about 85% full and I use my DVD recorder to watch the main terrestrial channels. That has plenty on it as well.

I record everything in HD, which means instead of being able to store 500 hours of programmes on each V6, I can only store 120 hours. When you think that just recording one series of 22 programmes uses nearly a quarter of your total capacity, that isn't very much.

I watch only about 2.5 hours of TV a night most nights, and about 5 hours per night Saturdays and Sundays. So over the winter months, the number of recordings builds up, and I can reduce the list during the summer when there is very little that is worthwhile watching.

I also supplement my viewing with material from Netflix and Amazon, so it takes me longer to work through the list.

The way I use the V6 is exactly the way that Virgin Media advocate, so I do think it is incumbent on them to provide equipment which is fit for that purpose. If UHD channels ultimately come along, 1TB will be totally inadequate for recording in UHD.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Not at all controversial.

If you are away for 2 weeks, the number of football and rugby matches to record will more than fill a 1Tb box in HD recordings.
I agree it's not controversial. It is just incorrect.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 18:22   #18
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I only record what I want to watch, and when I have watched it, I delete it. Currently, my two V6 boxes are about 85% full and I use my DVD recorder to watch the main terrestrial channels. That has plenty on it as well.

I record everything in HD, which means instead of being able to store 500 hours of programmes on each V6, I can only store 120 hours. When you think that just recording one series of 22 programmes uses nearly a quarter of your total capacity, that isn't very much.

I watch only about 2.5 hours of TV a night most nights, and about 5 hours per night Saturdays and Sundays. So over the winter months, the number of recordings builds up, and I can reduce the list during the summer when there is very little that is worthwhile watching.

I also supplement my viewing with material from Netflix and Amazon, so it takes me longer to work through the list.

The way I use the V6 is exactly the way that Virgin Media advocate, so I do think it is incumbent on them to provide equipment which is fit for that purpose. If UHD channels ultimately come along, 1TB will be totally inadequate for recording in UHD.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

I agree it's not controversial. It is just incorrect.
I would never catch up that amount of content .
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 20:09   #19
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

...and that's exactly my point. When do you catchup on 200 hours of programming?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 20:28   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
...and that's exactly my point. When do you catchup on 200 hours of programming?
Over the summertime, when there's virtually nothing but repeats on!
Old 15-01-2018, 20:43   #21
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Or the Autumn when all you get is Reality TV on a number of channels.

Next weekend their are 4 football matches, 11 rugby matches, 2 US football games and 1 ODI cricket match - that's just Saturday and Sunday
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 14:41   #22
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I have better things to do in the summer than to watch lots of TV.
Old 16-01-2018, 17:59   #23
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
TV is for late evening in the summertime!
Old 16-01-2018, 20:27   #24
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
It is precisely because I also have other things to do (like holidays days out etc) that the box is used to time shift programmes when I am not in.

As OB has stated, this is what the box is designed for, if it were only to watch live to it wouldn't need a hard drive and recording facility.

1Tb is barely adequate for HD recordings. UHD eat up space at a considerable rate - a larger disc option or cloud recording (not sure this is still on the horizon) will be an absolute requirement.
Old 16-01-2018, 23:41   #25
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
It is precisely because I also have other things to do (like holidays days out etc) that the box is used to time shift programmes when I am not in.

As OB has stated, this is what the box is designed for, if it were only to watch live to it wouldn't need a hard drive and recording facility.

1Tb is barely adequate for HD recordings. UHD eat up space at a considerable rate - a larger disc option or cloud recording (not sure this is still on the horizon) will be an absolute requirement.
Fair enough, but still cannot understand how you find the time to catch up all the programs you seem to record "4 football matches, 11 rugby matches, 2 US football games and 1 ODI cricket match - that's just Saturday and Sunday!"
Old 17-01-2018, 00:20   #26
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Fair enough, but still cannot understand how you find the time to catch up all the programs you seem to record "4 football matches, 11 rugby matches, 2 US football games and 1 ODI cricket match - that's just Saturday and Sunday!"

I was thinking exactly that!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 00:24   #27
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well understand it or not, I seem to manage.