Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bluetooth and Ethernet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bluetooth and Ethernet

Old 06-03-2006, 19:02   #1
Jerry Shaw
Inactive

Jerry Shaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Bluetooth and Ethernet

Hi all.

I have a question that I am sure has been asked before, yet I can't find any solutions on here.

I have a 1Mb NTL BB connection. This runs to a wired router and then serves 2 main PC's in my house.

I also have a laptop and would like to "roam" and use the net. i.e. When I'm in bed, out in my shed or generally where going to one of the main computers is inconvenient.

I have a "100 meter" Bluetooth dongle on one of the computers and have another dongle on the laptop.

I have succeded in creating a Personal Area Network and would like to have it included in my LAN but the types are different. e.g. LAN has 192.168.x.x and PAN has 169.254.x.x

Is there any way I could either bridge these network types or make the bluetooth one be recognised with a proper LAN IP address.

Many Thanks.
Jerry Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2006, 19:05   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Bluetooth and Ethernet

to Cable Forum

As this is about networking, I'm moving from Computers & IT.

Can you use internet connection sharing wizard?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 19:14   #3
Jerry Shaw
Inactive

Many apologies, I read the topic lis on the forum header and networks was listed. I thoought I'd put it in the right place.

Back on topic, I have tried ICS but the I always get a 192.168.0.x range whereas my network is 192.168.1.x

I was going to try and bridge the bluetooth with the LAN but it wouldn't let me do it.

Is there another way to create a Network Access Point and bridge the two?
Old 06-03-2006, 19:18   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw
Many apologies, I read the topic lis on the forum header and networks was listed. I thoought I'd put it in the right place.

Back on topic, I have tried ICS but the I always get a 192.168.0.x range whereas my network is 192.168.1.x
ICS acts like a router, therefore it assigns it's own range of IPs to any devices attached to the computer. These normally are in the 192.168.0.x range, so this is the correct behaviour. Any requests (such as web page requests) that come from the devices attached to the computer running ICS will appear to come from the computer running ICS. When it recieves the reply, it will distrubute that reply to the appropriate device.

Starting ICS should automatically bridge the connections, if need be.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 19:26   #5
Jerry Shaw
Inactive

I already have a router installed.

This runs the network for my PC and the guy living upstairs.

As our computers get turned off a varying times we decided that ICS would not be an option from my computer as the cable entry is in my front room.
We shared the cost of the equipment so we could run BB independantly of eachother.
Old 06-03-2006, 19:38   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw
I already have a router installed.

This runs the network for my PC and the guy living upstairs.

As our computers get turned off a varying times we decided that ICS would not be an option from my computer as the cable entry is in my front room.
We shared the cost of the equipment so we could run BB independantly of eachother.
In that case, unless your router has a bluetooth capability, and assuming it has wireless, then, TBH, it would be easier to use a wireless network card.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 19:40   #7
Jerry Shaw
Inactive

No its just a plain vanilla 4 port router.

Thanks anyway.

It's not a real big deal, it just would have been nice.