Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving Computer! Need Advice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving Computer! Need Advice

Old 04-03-2006, 11:29   #1
xkennyx
Inactive

Services: XL Broadband, XL TV & Phone.
xkennyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving Computer! Need Advice

hi all,

i am wanting to move my computer to a different room in the house. i am wondering wether i can by a router and a wireless card and plug the router up to my Cable modem and move my computer to a different room and install a wireless card! i always thought you need to have two computers for a wireless internet connection

any help would b appreciated
Thanks
Kenny
xkennyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moving Computer! Need Advice

As this relates to routers, it goes in the Networking Forum

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Simple answer, you don't need a load of computers to take advantage of the capability of a router, or to go wireless.

When first setting up a new router, it can be easiest to use a wired connection, and once you have the basics in place then convert over to wireless
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:41   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

you could do either of these:

1) Wired solution:

Leave the modem where it is and hook up a long ethernet cable from the modem to your network card on your PC in the other room.
you can buy ethernet cable from HERE and they are cheap to buy.

2) Wireless solution:

Leave modem where it is and hook it up to a wireless router.
Put a wirelesss PCI card in your PC, install any drivers that came with it.
Then search for the wireless network.
Remember to set up security in the Router's setup page.

There are some reccomended Wireless routers HERE

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:43   #4
xkennyx
Inactive

Services: XL Broadband, XL TV & Phone.
xkennyx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Very Much Guys Halcyon Post Helps Alot, i think il go with the wireless option, i dont want wires all over the place

thanks
Kenny
xkennyx is offline   Reply With Quote