Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router question (N00b questions)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router question (N00b questions)

Old 24-02-2006, 18:21   #1
Schnitzel
Inactive

Schnitzel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Router question (N00b questions)

EDIT: Damn, sorry I've posted this in the wrong place. I did read the sticky but I had too many tabs open. If anyone could move this thread into the Networking/cable forum: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87 - sorry.
--

Hello all.

Firstly, I'm a complete cable n00b. I've never used cable anything at all. None.

I currently have ADSL. I have a Linksys AG041 ADSL Router/Gateway, which I plug my phone line into, then plug the router into 2 computers via NICs so I have 2 computers on the internet.

However, I'm going to get Telewest/Blueyonder 10Mb. I understand that this comes with a modem, that uses a USB connection to connect to one computer.

I'd therefore need to buy a new router. Should I get just a switch which I can plug the supplied modem into (Via usb or ethernet?), or should I get a cable router/modem which I can plug the fibre optical cable into.

Also, does the Telewest supplied modem have an Ethernet output, as well as a USB one that I could connect to a cable router?

Could anyone recommend me anythin. - I can't fault my current Linksys.

Also, would I need to phone Telewest and tell them the MAC Code of my router/switch so I could be online with both computers as I am now? I assume I could use the Telewest on a LAN with 2 computers, without the need to "Dial up", and that I could use my standard CAT5E cable to connect the router/switch to the 2 PCs into their Network Cards?

In my ADSL router setup, I have to enter LOADS of information for it to connect. Username/password/encapulation settings/Virtual circuit stuff.. With telewest/cable routers do I need to find out all info to put in?

I appreciate that I'm going to sould like an idiot, but please don't flame, I have no experience with cable at all, but I do need the Internet on 2 machines preferably managed by a router.
If anyone could recommend me anything, then that would be Fantastic!

Thank you.
Schnitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-02-2006, 18:41   #2
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age
Re: Router question (N00b questions)

You will need a cable router rather than a switch, the cable modem that telewest provide will have both USB and ethernet ports on it and its the ethernet than you will use to connect to a router.

Secondly, from what I know, there should be no need to inform telewest of any MAC addresses, just switch everything off, connect the cable modem to the router, power on your cable modem and wait for it to stabilize, power on your router, then power on everything else.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 19:13   #3
Schnitzel
Inactive

Thanks for the information

Would something like the Linksys BEFSR41
http://www1.linksys.com/internationa...id=19&ipid=367
Be suitable for this?

Would I need to enter any information into it's setup for it to connect. And also, if I leave all the PCs TCP/IP settings on Automatic, would it all work pretty much out of the box?

Cheers
Old 24-02-2006, 19:37   #4
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

yeah, that'll work.

As for the question about entering informating/automatic settings, I would say leaving everything set to automatic "should" be fine, but i'm on NTL broadband not Telewest, so I can't give you a 100% accurate response.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 19:45   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzel
EDIT: Damn, sorry I've posted this in the wrong place. I did read the sticky but I had too many tabs open. If anyone could move this thread into the Networking/cable forum: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87 - sorry.
Moved, don't do it again

to Cable Forum BTW
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 20:08   #6
Schnitzel
Inactive

^Lol, thanks Rob
Old 24-02-2006, 23:26   #7
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Thanks for the information

Would something like the Linksys BEFSR41
http://www1.linksys.com/internationa...id=19&ipid=367
Be suitable for this?

Would I need to enter any information into it's setup for it to connect. And also, if I leave all the PCs TCP/IP settings on Automatic, would it all work pretty much out of the box?

Cheers

This is an excellent basic router, Schnitzel; but try to ensure that you get at least v3 (I think there may be a v4, as well). The older versions only have 10Mb WAN ports; v3 and later have 10/100Mb WAN ports - essential for connecting at the 8/10Mb+ speeds Telewest and ntl are now offering.

And, yes, this is a router that, as Jon T says, you need do no more than power everything down, plug the router in between the modem and computer(s) (use patch/straight through rather than crossover ethernet leads), switch on your modem, let the lights settle, switch on the router, let it run autodiagnostics and settle, then power up your computer(s).

I've used one myself and had no problems.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 23:33   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I have this router and it is version 3. I got mine from amazon for about £30.
As has been said already, all you should have to do is turn everything off, plug in your telewest modem to the routers WAN or Internet port, hook up all your computers by ethernet, and you are just about done.

Remember to turn on modem first, givie it a minute or two to settle down, then turn on your router, and then finally your computers.

Oh and to the forums too.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 00:59   #9
Schnitzel
Inactive

Thank you very much all for the help + welcomes
Based on what you guys have said, and what my own Googling has returned - I think I will indeed order a BEFSR41.

Is there anyway I will know what version I'm getting though? And If, say I ended up with a V1, could I not flash the firmware to V3 or V4 (whichever is the latest?).

I'm pretty much ready to order one really, it'd be great if anyone could suggest somewhere (in the UK) who sells ones that are definately atleast V3. Telewest have a tendency to keep making the connections faster , so when 10Mb eventually becomes 20Mb, I don't want to end up getting a new router.
I found one on Amazon that has a "10/100 internal 4 port switch", but I assume when you said it needs to have a 10/100 WAN interface, you're referring to the port that I would plug my telewest modem into?

I'd be extremely grateful if anyone could point me to a few that are most definately V3+

Edit: Looking here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...4259~days=9999 would I be right to say that getting a v4 would be a bad idea?

Thanks!
Old 25-02-2006, 02:37   #10
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

That's right, Schnitzel, the "10/100 internal 4 port switch" refers to the ports for the connected PCs, and not to the WAN port, which, yes, is the one you connect to the modem.

Some suppliers will specify which version the router is, but I would think that any new one that you get now from a supplier with reasonable turnover (i.e. not likely to keep stuff in stock for a long time) will be a v3 or v4. No, you can't change the version with a firmware flash, I'm afraid - in fact, if you want to change the firmware, you need to be careful to use an appropriate one for your version.

Don't know anything about problems with the v4, though. The one I had was a v2 which, since I had it on 1 and 2Mb connections, didn't suffer from having a 10Mb WAN port.
Old 25-02-2006, 13:50   #11
Nanook
Inactive

Services: VM 30Mb, Tivo 1TB
Nanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to all

The BEFSR41 I bought from Amazon about 1 year ago is a v3
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 10:50   #12
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Yep, mine came from Amazone too, version 3.

Old 26-02-2006, 11:09   #13
Schnitzel
Inactive

Thanks guys

I've actually ordered a Linksys BEFSX41
It seems all of these have a 10/100 WAN port. I'm not a very lucky guy, there's a very high chance that I'd somehow end up with an old BEFSR41 lol.

From what I can gather, this router is basically the same as the BEFSR41, but it has better firewall features, and VPN support (not that I'll use the VPN stuff), but it should still work with the Blueyonder pretty much out of the box I hope.. lol
Old 26-02-2006, 11:39   #14
Halcyon
Hello !

That router looks fine.
Good luck with it and let us know how you get on when you receive it.

Old 26-02-2006, 13:29   #15
patrickp
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks guys

I've actually ordered a Linksys BEFSX41
It seems all of these have a 10/100 WAN port. I'm not a very lucky guy, there's a very high chance that I'd somehow end up with an old BEFSR41 lol.

From what I can gather, this router is basically the same as the BEFSR41, but it has better firewall features, and VPN support (not that I'll use the VPN stuff), but it should still work with the Blueyonder pretty much out of the box I hope.. lol

Yes, that's what I'm using now, Schnitzel, and you can use it straight out of the box just as with the BEFSR41.

Incidentally, if you feel up to it (it's not difficult), upgrade to the 1.52.9 firmware for it: this has been the latest update for a while now, and seems very stable. There are actually a v1 and a v2, but they both use the same firmware and have the same port speeds etc.

Edit: one wrinkle: I'm not sure how it works with Telewest, but with ntl, if you have a SACM (stand-alone cable modem) you need do no more than power down, connect up and power up again if you already have the connection set up. With an STB (set-top box, for TV as well), it looks for the MAC address of the device it's connected to and, of course, your router will have a different MAC address to that of the PC you set the account up with.

There are two ways to deal with this: a) just connect up and power up, and when you open your browser, you'll be directed to a provisioning page (you'll need the details you used to set up the connection; user name etc) where you can set up another device (with ntl I think you can have three going) that the STB will allow to connect, or b) you can use the software that comes with the router to 'clone' your computer's MAC address to your router.