Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wifi laptop or adapter

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wifi laptop or adapter

Old 03-05-2007, 07:16   #1
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice
Question wifi laptop or adapter

This might sound like a silly question, but i don't know the answer.

Do i need to buy a wireless laptop card to run at high speeds wireless or will the wi-fi in my laptop be good enough to cope ?
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2007, 07:21   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: wifi laptop or adapter

Depends what router you have. If you have an 11g 54Mb/s model then your laptop will handle it if it's reasonably new.

If your router uses one of the technologies that gives 108Mb/s then you'll need a compatible card to get full speed communication...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Depends what router you have. If you have an 11g 54Mb/s model then your laptop will handle it if it's reasonably new.

If your router uses one of the technologies that gives 108Mb/s then you'll need a compatible card to get full speed communication...
Exactly so if you have something like 802.11n (preN) then your laptop will connect but only at 54Mbit/s (802.11G)

However if you put an 802.11n card in it would connect at the full speed providing the signal is strong enough.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:35   #4
12noon
Inactive

12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

My laptop is a WiFi enabled Dell Inspiron 1501 - AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile laptop. I'm just bidding on routers on ebay at the moment.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:54   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12noon View Post
My laptop is a WiFi enabled Dell Inspiron 1501 - AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile laptop. I'm just bidding on routers on ebay at the moment.
That has 802.11g 54Mbps wireless built in, so if you get a basic 11g router you won't need an additional card. If you get one of the flavours of 108Mbps routers then you'll need a compatible PCMCIA card...
Old 04-05-2007, 07:38   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
That has 802.11g 54Mbps wireless built in, so if you get a basic 11g router you won't need an additional card. If you get one of the flavours of 108Mbps routers then you'll need a compatible PCMCIA card...
Or not, but it just won't run at top speed
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:41   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
This might sound like a silly question, but i don't know the answer.

Do i need to buy a wireless laptop card to run at high speeds wireless
or will the wi-fi in my laptop be good enough to cope ?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:43   #8
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

It depends what you call High Speed Cobby, I find that 108MBit wireless rarely runs at full speed unless you are sat next to the router
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:17   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
It depends what you call High Speed Cobby, I find that 108MBit wireless rarely runs at full speed unless you are sat next to the router
I find that 54g is usually fast enough for the internet anyway

Not sure how it handles 20mbit + connections tho.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:13   #10
12noon
Inactive

Thanks, i think that answers my question.

If i buy a 54Mbps router, then my wifi laptop will be fine by its self, but f i buy a faster router (108Mbps) i would also need a card to fit in the side of my laptop.
Old 05-05-2007, 18:31   #11
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks, i think that answers my question.

If i buy a 54Mbps router, then my wifi laptop will be fine by its self, but f i buy a faster router (108Mbps) i would also need a card to fit in the side of my laptop.
Not quite

If you buy a faster router you'd need a card if you wanted it to connect at 108Mbps however if you were happy with connecting to the router @54Mbps the builtin wireless should still work fine.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:44   #12
12noon
Inactive

After reading all this yesterday afternoon, i went out and bought a Netgear WGR614. It should be good enough to surf the net on my 4meg cable broadband.

Thanks for all you help.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:06   #13
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
After reading all this yesterday afternoon, i went out and bought a Netgear WGR614. It should be good enough to surf the net on my 4meg cable broadband.

Thanks for all you help.
Don't forget to enable the wireless security features, preferably wpa-psk or wpa2-psk

stop other people "borrowing" your connection.

If you want a really secure wireless code try

http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

then save it into a text file or something because the chances of being able to remember it are pretty slim