Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless-N ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless-N ?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:16   #1
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice
Question Wireless-N ?

Do we have any thoughts to which Wireless-N router works best with Virgin Broadband ?

I'm not just looking for speed, but also distance coverage. My old router at the moment is down stairs in the front part of the house where i usually use my laptop, but i also have an Apple Mac upstairs in the back of the house and that only gets limited coverage. It drop signal a lot upstairs.

Would you recommend one of these : -
Linksys WRVS4400N
D-Link DSL-2740B Wireless N
NetGear WNR845T RangeMax
TL-WR841N
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2008, 12:17   #2
Fairway
Inactive

Fairway has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: Wireless-N ?

I don't think the D Link one is suitable for cable, had me self a good look round about 3 months ago as I also wanted an N rated one and I settled for a Belkin F5D8233UK4 Wireless N Router, 100% range improvement over my last netgear 108 thing, I get a full 5 bar signal everywhere in the house and garden and even a 3 bar signal at my neighbours house 3 doors down.
Fairway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:36   #3
xspeedyx

This one has brilliant reviews and a good price too

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134991
Old 08-11-2008, 12:47   #4
12noon
Inactive

12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

Hmmm, that FD58233UK4 sounds good to me. Will have to try and find the cheapest place to buy it. Unless someone knows a cheaper alternative ?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:48   #5
xspeedyx

The DLINK for £45 I posted is great read the reviews
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50   #6
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Just don't forget that though it is much faster and generally more stable than 54G Wireless N still isnt finalised and the current range of wireless N products (Really N-Draft) you buy may not even be compatible with the final N release (And the ones that are compatible may be restricted to 54G speeds depending on level of compatibility).
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:53   #7
12noon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
The DLINK for £45 I posted is great read the reviews
Just had a look at that one via your link. They also sell it on Ebay for £47.99

Thanks for the info.
Old 14-11-2008, 20:03   #8
*sloman*
Inactive

Services: 100MB, M Phone and XL TV (1x Tivo, 1x Samsung V+)
*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough

I have Belkin N1, just beware they all advertise 300mbps speed but the throughput will be lower!

I have Wireless N in the laptop and from 10m away maximum transfer is about 6MB/s
*sloman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2008, 20:08   #9
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142702

I haven't had experience with this, but if it's anything like the WRT54G, then it is going to be excellent.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 09:00   #10
12noon
Inactive

Hmmm, i'm not sure about that one (WRT160N) because of what it says on the Linksys forum.

Read what it says about WRT160N dropped connections here

If the dropped connections could be cured it does look like a nice router.