Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 10-05-2011, 09:57   #391
driz
Inactive

driz is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

This is my Be connection - I get 5-6ms to bbc.co.uk from southwest London with fastpath, syncing at about 13meg. It is a joy to game on, except when my flatmate starts downloading the internet. I tried Virgin recently (30meg with super!!hub) as I just moved house and the jitter was ridiculous. I'm still playing QuakeWorld mostly which is largely based on servers in denmark and sweden, and get about 23-25ms to servers in denmark/southern sweden and a little higher to Stockholm.
driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28   #392
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

For those who may be interested here's my BT Infinity one via SamKnows moitoring and TBB graph.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

The big red bit is as my IP addy has changed again, happens all the time with BT.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28   #393
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Very nice driz
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:50   #394
Bullstein
Inactive

Bullstein is an unknown quantity at this point

I was really happy with BE in terms of their customer service and expertise + willingness to help. The only problem was that my BT line was proving unsuitable as I had huge 6000+ single ping spikes and some packet loss

Eventually I had go reluctantly leave and try cable, but VM has continual low level jitter and spiking for me
Bullstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:55   #395
Welshchris
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Welshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful oneWelshchris is the helpful one

2 be honest i dont think Virgin cable will ever get their latency down as far as ADSL. They just dont seem to want or have the inclination to do so.
Welshchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24   #396
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
2 be honest i dont think Virgin cable will ever get their latency down as far as ADSL. They just dont seem to want or have the inclination to do so.
Until gamers start leaving and they get a reputation for not being gamer friendly
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 17:52   #397
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by driz View Post

This is my Be connection - I get 5-6ms to bbc.co.uk from southwest London with fastpath, syncing at about 13meg. It is a joy to game on, except when my flatmate starts downloading the internet. I tried Virgin recently (30meg with super!!hub) as I just moved house and the jitter was ridiculous. I'm still playing QuakeWorld mostly which is largely based on servers in denmark and sweden, and get about 23-25ms to servers in denmark/southern sweden and a little higher to Stockholm.
not as good tho you have a steady stream of packetloss there, SRA would likely prevent that. BE decided to not adopt SRA like nearly every isp, instead they concentrate on what works best for short lines.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
For those who may be interested here's my BT Infinity one via SamKnows moitoring and TBB graph.

The big red bit is as my IP addy has changed again, happens all the time with BT.
how is your ip changing do you keep turning the router off? or do they force a disconnect to change the ip?

---------- Post added at 17:52 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris View Post
Base latency can and does get lower than adsl, jitter is the main issue.

here is some examples to bbc.co.uk.

Current VM connection - 13ms
ukonline - 9ms
xilo - 20ms
aaisp - 25ms
entanet - 25ms

all those fast path, bt wholesale's network seems to have very odd routing to london, with interleaving it wasnt unusual for me to have latency above 40ms. Of course low latency is near useless if jitter is excessive.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 17:56   #398
IpKaiFung
Inactive

IpKaiFung is an unknown quantity at this point

The wonderful service in Reading RG6 area.

IpKaiFung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 20:59   #399
Bondquest
Inactive

Services: TV - L Broadband - 30MB Phone - Ordinary landline
Bondquest is an unknown quantity at this point

What I'm currently experiencing daily in DN32

Bondquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:26   #400
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpKaiFung View Post
The wonderful service in Reading RG6 area.

That's really ropey. Even I don't get that when P2P downloading at full connection speed (20Mb).
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 22:57   #401
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
how is your ip changing do you keep turning the router off? or do they force a disconnect to change the ip?[COLOR="Silver"]

Happens automatically Chrys, Modem never turned off most likely due to lease time, don't forget although VM's dynamic most times the IP is "sticky"
Old 10-05-2011, 22:58   #402
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Happens automatically Chrys, Modem never turned off most likely due to lease time, don't forget although VM's dynamic most times the IP is "sticky"
even on dialup the ip only changes on a disconnection. So for your ip to change there must be some sort of downtime happening, I know some EU dsl isp's forcefully disconnect daily to change ip's so am wondering if thats what BT are doing or if its simply your modem dropping out.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 23:02   #403
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
Until gamers start leaving and they get a reputation for not being gamer friendly
They sort of already are thanks to their hamfisted throttling. Now we just need to prod some of the right people into comparing jitter across providers and VM will look like muppets.

Especially now that VM are taking out huge adverts in gaming mags saying how good their service is for gamers.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 23:04   #404
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Could be either Chrys but as it happens aropund 4 am I don't feel like staying up just to see.

It doesn't really bother me except to keep changing the IP for the TBB Monitor.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:51   #405
Vector
Inactive

Vector is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Need a bit of help with this monitor, it seems somethings blocking it -

I'm guessing it's the SHub, as it worked perfectly when I was with BE, though I'm not sure at this point cause I've done what I think is everything there is to get it working.

What I've done thus far;

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote