Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Local TV

Old 29-12-2017, 18:32   #91
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Local TV

OB, are you bored mate?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2017, 18:32   #92
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
An example of a schedule with a considerable amount of local programming could look like this:

6am
Regional magazine programme (updated from previous evening)

7am
Traffic and Travel

7.10am
Coming Up (highlighting programmes coming later today)

7.15am Money talks
Financial and consumer tips and shopping bargains

7.45pm
Local news summary

7.55am
Traffic and Travel

8am
National News from the BBC

8.30am
Keeping fit (sponsored programme)

9am
Top 10 music videos (sponsored programme)

10am Agenda
Politicians debate the national issues of the day (from London Live)

12 noon
Regional magazine programme (yesterday’s news and updates)

1pm
TV Heaven (local people talking about last night’s telly)

1.30pm
Politics Today
A look at local issues being debated by councils and the House of Commons

2pm
Gadgets and Where To Find Them (repeat of last evening’s programme)

3pm
Travel update

3.10pm
Life and Surviving (health, lifestyle and local NHS services)

4pm
Afternoon debate
Featuring questions and answers on national and local issues

5pm
Regional magazine programme (content provided by the BBC and local channel resources)

6pm
Viewpoint (prominent local campaigners and politicians are interviewed for their views on local issues)

6.30pm
Local consultations (a briefing on a selected consultation being carried out by local councils, with residents giving their views).

7pm
Out and About (visits to local towns, villages and attractions and talking to residents, business owners, etc)

7.30pm
Sodbury Borough Council Meeting (live coverage)

9.30pm
Regional news magazine (updated from 5pm)

10.30pm
Top 10 music videos (sponsored programme)

11pm
Book of the day (sponsored programme)

11.30pm
Regional news magazine (as 9.30pm)

That's just off the top of my head, and local channels could use a lot of retired people to lend their expertise for nominal fees. As for content, part of the licence fee is supposed to fund that, and this arrangement needs to be extended. The remaining funding would come from sponsorshipped programming and advertisements.

There are also plenty of people in my neck of the woods who wouldn't mind sounding off on local TV!
Your example schedule just about sums up why people are not watching local to channels

Highlight of the day - 2 hours coverage of a borough council meeting (at peak viewing hours) - I would rather stick pins in my eyes! Muses the be riveting viewing.

Your last comment rings true, always people willing to spund off just to be on tv even if only a few hundred people will watch it.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 18:53   #93
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
OB, are you bored mate?
I thought the forums were a bit quiet today!

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Your example schedule just about sums up why people are not watching local to channels

Highlight of the day - 2 hours coverage of a borough council meeting (at peak viewing hours) - I would rather stick pins in my eyes! Muses the be riveting viewing.

Your last comment rings true, always people willing to spund off just to be on tv even if only a few hundred people will watch it.
I do know where you are coming from, but some of these meetings are of huge interest to people. Just try telling residents that a local school is going to close or a bus service withdrawn. People do feel very strongly about these things.

Many people have never been to a council meeting or are even aware of the subjects discussed. When it appears in the local paper, though, the rants start!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 22:46   #94
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I thought the forums were a bit quiet today!

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

I do know where you are coming from, but some of these meetings are of huge interest to people. Just try telling residents that a local school is going to close or a bus service withdrawn. People do feel very strongly about these things.

Many people have never been to a council meeting or are even aware of the subjects discussed. When it appears in the local paper, though, the rants start!
The few that are interested could go to the meeting - don't need it on tv!

Also what is the difference between local fitness and something off one of the myriads of cr*p channels that are already broadcast.

Sorry, you will never sell me on the need for local tv
Old 30-12-2017, 09:56   #95
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
The few that are interested could go to the meeting - don't need it on tv!

Also what is the difference between local fitness and something off one of the myriads of cr*p channels that are already broadcast.

Sorry, you will never sell me on the need for local tv
It will certainly only grab a minority audience, I reckon.

I suppose the alternative is to have common entertainment programmes networked over all the local channels, with slots for local news and magazine programmes. However, this is not what the Government envisaged!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 10:57   #96
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It will certainly only grab a minority audience, I reckon.

I suppose the alternative is to have common entertainment programmes networked over all the local channels, with slots for local news and magazine programmes. However, this is not what the Government envisaged!
Very much a minority I would have thought.

No, the alternative is For the BBC to stop wasting money on utter crap, after all it is always bleating that it hasn't enough money.
Old 30-12-2017, 11:50   #97
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I did miss the local TV news programmes over the last 10 days. We were reduced to 10 minutes in the evening on ITV and BBC everyday..
Old 30-12-2017, 14:30   #98
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I did miss the local TV news programmes over the last 10 days. We were reduced to 10 minutes in the evening on ITV and BBC everyday..

More than adequate I would have thought
Old 30-12-2017, 15:23   #99
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post

I enjoy the local TV news.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 19:33   #100
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

I know I'm reviving an old topic but given that locality is very much part of cable television, it surprises me that the local channels are generally not available on Virgin Media. Manchester now has two local services - That's TV and also a second local channel called Manchester TV. Surely the local channels should be available on Virgin Media?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 20:33   #101
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
I know I'm reviving an old topic but given that locality is very much part of cable television, it surprises me that the local channels are generally not available on Virgin Media. Manchester now has two local services - That's TV and also a second local channel called Manchester TV. Surely the local channels should be available on Virgin Media?
I think the issue is with That’s TV in particular as the channels they had from the start have never appeared on Virgin.

They took over the STV2 slot in Scotland and never took up the Virgin slot they left behind.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 21:24   #102
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough

do any scots remember when Telewest had their own local Tv where it covered the concerts in Edinburgh. id just wished they'd bring it back!
Derekb108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 06:22   #103
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

WE have a local Oxford channel on Comtel. A think it used to be something like a 30 minute programme repeated at several times. A new programme each week.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 16:18   #104
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb108 View Post
do any scots remember when Telewest had their own local Tv where it covered the concerts in Edinburgh. id just wished they'd bring it back!
Yes.

I think it was called Edinburgh Festival and was on Telewest Channel 400.

We also has an local channel of L!VE TV called Edinburgh L!VE TV I think it was on Channel 18 before Telewest want March/April 1999.

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Local TV: New look for local TV in Edinburgh and Glasgow from March 2nd.

STV Glasgow and STV Edinburgh will be on air from the earlier time of 7am from Monday March 2. They will feature hourly week day news bulletins from midday, as well as 30-minute news programmes at 6pm, 8pm and 10pm bringing viewers across central Scotland all the latest updates.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/3109...mission-hours/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
STV Local coming to Aberdeen, Ayr and Dundee.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2015/...gn=scotlocaltv
Oh the good times.

STV Local was later known as STV2 then 9 months later sold to the owners of That's TV.

Virgin Media drop STV2 on the day STV hand STV2 slots over to That's TV.

Now we have only got 50mins of local news every week the rest is the same as That's local in England.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 19:48   #105
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Wish we had a local TV channel for news . BBC does not do " local" news we get is national Welsh news , Bristol is more " local" than Wrexham to me .The national news is more often than not " English" government presented as national. One of the few things l miss from USA tv! Is local channels