Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview Reception Problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview Reception Problems

Old 18-10-2008, 08:32   #1
archie hunter
Inactive

Services: Ex-Telewest: Virgin Media TV XL with V+, Phone XL, Broadband M
archie hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Freeview Reception Problems

My brother-in-law has a Freeview STB and a wideband aerial. His local transmitter is Lark Stoke (Stratford-on-Avon area), which is 8 miles away. He's been having problems recently with digital channels 'disappearing'. From what I gather, he's always had problems with MUX A & B. He's also had problems with BBC2 on analogue (which I find surprising). However, during a recent thunderstorm a lot of the 'disappeared' digital channels re-appeared. I suggested it may be a transmitter issue rather than his equipment (he's actually bought a new STB thinking that may have been the problem). Or could it be his aerial is pointing to Sutton Coldfield (29 miles distant). Any ideas greatly appreciated.
archie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-10-2008, 08:52   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview Reception Problems

Most freeview boxes will be able to give a signal strength reading, if it can what is it??

I know that I had cut-out problems with freeview until I got and installed a masthead amp (came in handy as it was a 4 way out as well )
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 09:36   #3
archie hunter
Inactive

Services: Ex-Telewest: Virgin Media TV XL with V+, Phone XL, Broadband M
archie hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. I'll get him to check it.
archie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2008, 06:53   #4
snowey
Inactive

Services: Virgin media, tv, telephone, cable bb,30mb,mobile, tivo.
snowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Most freeview boxes will be able to give a signal strength reading, if it can what is it??

I know that I had cut-out problems with freeview until I got and installed a masthead amp (came in handy as it was a 4 way out as well )
Kymmy, what sort of reception reading should you be looking for, % ? , "ie" new airiel, 5metre run, all connections sound, new Samsung LCD. Was getting 95% on old LCD, Now only 72/74%, suspect faulty Digital tuner..
TIA......
snowey.
snowey is offline   Reply With Quote