Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 14-01-2018, 14:34   #181
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just checked and it is £21 a month. Maybe you only saved about £9 a month because changing your package resulted in you losing previous discounts that were applied??
Possibly, although that was supposed to be off the non-discounted price.

As I said in previous post, it is difficult to see what the standard price is.
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2018, 18:46   #182
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsegirlbusmad View Post
Are we getting any more new channels coming to virgin media this year?
Apps rather than channels probably.
Old 15-01-2018, 14:59   #183
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Apps rather than channels probably.
I hope so! Amazon and WWE network can't be too hard to port over surely! Youtube and netflix are great on the V6
Old 15-01-2018, 17:25   #184
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
BBC Alba was on vm when the channel 1st launched in the 00's!
BBC Alba was launched on 19 September 2008 but some shows was added on Virgin Media via BBC iPlayer from launch but BBC Alba did launch in Scotland on Virgin Media May 18th 2011.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...virgin-as.html

Then Virgin Media added S4C and BBC Alba to all areas in November 2012.

http://mediaboyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2...on-virgin.html

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsegirlbusmad View Post
Are we getting any more new channels coming to virgin media this year?
Not been given any information on any more channels testing as of December 2017.

Some new channels may launch by end of 2018.

Calling JJ20X where are you?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 15-01-2018, 17:35   #185
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Amazon with HDR would be good - although would be a premium option.

WWE Network would be nice also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I hope so! Amazon and WWE network can't be too hard to port over surely! Youtube and netflix are great on the V6
Old 15-01-2018, 18:01   #186
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Given that VM have embraced Netflix, I really find it hard to understand why it is that we haven't got more apps.

Clearly, Amazon has thrown up some issues because it now includes some Amazon channels that duplicate what is on VM, but if the app is only made available to 'Full House' subscribers who pay VM for the duplicate channels in their packages, I fail to see what the problem is.

Streaming is the future (though some may opt out) and Virgin need to embrace it fully so that all these services are available on their box. That would be their USP, together with their fast broadband service.

Hopefully, 2018 will start to bring all this to fruition, with UHD coming to us through these services and also by way of on demand.
Old 15-01-2018, 22:56   #187
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Given that VM have embraced Netflix, I really find it hard to understand why it is that we haven't got more apps.

Clearly, Amazon has thrown up some issues because it now includes some Amazon channels that duplicate what is on VM, but if the app is only made available to 'Full House' subscribers who pay VM for the duplicate channels in their packages, I fail to see what the problem is.

Streaming is the future (though some may opt out) and Virgin need to embrace it fully so that all these services are available on their box. That would be their USP, together with their fast broadband service.

Hopefully, 2018 will start to bring all this to fruition, with UHD coming to us through these services and also by way of on demand.
I thought this was the whole point of the tivo v6. Virgin Media are usually so lazy and don't really do anything unless they have to. Yet they launched a superior product to Sky Q (in my eyes), brag about their broadband speeds being so great but don't actually take advantage of the tivo v6.

i assume laziness has set in again rather than exploiting the quality of the v6 and their broadband speeds by offering a wide range of apps. How can amazon reject it?

"hey amazon will you let us offer your app on our tivo so people can buy and watch your shows?"
"no...we dont want to make money"

Has to be laziness or cheap virgin since liberty rammed in and decided "lets increase prices massively above inflation each year but never try to challenge other services"

Last edited by vincerooney; 15-01-2018 at 22:56. Reason: .
Old 15-01-2018, 23:41   #188
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I thought this was the whole point of the tivo v6. Virgin Media are usually so lazy and don't really do anything unless they have to. Yet they launched a superior product to Sky Q (in my eyes), brag about their broadband speeds being so great but don't actually take advantage of the tivo v6.

i assume laziness has set in again rather than exploiting the quality of the v6 and their broadband speeds by offering a wide range of apps. How can amazon reject it?

"hey amazon will you let us offer your app on our tivo so people can buy and watch your shows?"
"no...we dont want to make money"

Has to be laziness or cheap virgin since liberty rammed in and decided "lets increase prices massively above inflation each year but never try to challenge other services"
I can assure you from various review sources the SKYQ is far superior to the V6, the v6 is a cracking bit of kit though but nowhere near the level of SKYQ.
As for broadband another thing vm are starting to fall behind on with companies like hyperoptic, gigaclear having 1gbs service and BT, Talktalk and SKY rolling out 330mbs too.
Although i was chatting to a vm engineer today just a passing chat he was cabling up a neighbour and i asked him about vms bb and he said they're trialing faster speeds but he not allowed to say what.
I think it's the 1gbs i mentioned at the final quarter of last year.
Old 16-01-2018, 00:31   #189
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I can assure you from various review sources the SKYQ is far superior to the V6, the v6 is a cracking bit of kit though but nowhere near the level of SKYQ.
As for broadband another thing vm are starting to fall behind on with companies like hyperoptic, gigaclear having 1gbs service and BT, Talktalk and SKY rolling out 330mbs too.
Although i was chatting to a vm engineer today just a passing chat he was cabling up a neighbour and i asked him about vms bb and he said they're trialing faster speeds but he not allowed to say what.
The thing is mate you don't really need those really high speeds to get a decent stream, this is why I think that Sky will come out on top when they introduce Sky Q, without the need for a big ugly dish on the outside of your house.
Old 16-01-2018, 02:08   #190
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The thing is mate you don't really need those really high speeds to get a decent stream, this is why I think that Sky will come out on top when they introduce Sky Q, without the need for a big ugly dish on the outside of your house.
This is true mate, i get perfectly solid 1080p streams on my 38mbs connection, this also streams my gaming from both pc and ps4 to twitch with no problems at all.
Also it's perfectly fine for live sports aka nbcsport, espn i get the full 1080p quality stream with loads of bandwidth left to play with.
However i think big households who use a lot of devices would certainly benefit from high speeds, but my 38mbs is fine for me on my own and i'm a pro gamer.
When SKYQ online comes this year 38mbs will be perfectly fine for it in small households, most people will be fine with the 80mbs too.
Although info we have is all fibre isps that use Openreaches network are going to move 38mbs to 52mbs anyway over the next 2 years.
Old 16-01-2018, 07:58   #191
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sky Q and the V6 both do much the same thing, so I don't believe the reviews that put the Sky Q ahead. I do think the Sky Q UI is better, but that's not the fault of the V6.

The main difference that I can see is that whereas you get a V6 for every room so you have your own recordings on each box, which are all linked together, with the Sky Q you have these mini-boxes which take their recordings from just one box.

What are the other significant differences?
Old 16-01-2018, 10:27   #192
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
There is no HD charge on Sky Movies now , I believe it changed at the beginning of last year. Sky sports still has HD tax on it.
Although the lack of HD OnDemand with Sky Sports/Cinema is a bit of a bugbear. Granted with the sports, live broadcast channels are the main thing - and with cinema, it's always better to record films to watch at convenience (and not get caught with tuner clashes) than rely on OD... But there does seem to be less and less Sky HD content available as time goes on.
Old 16-01-2018, 11:40   #193
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Although the lack of HD OnDemand with Sky Sports/Cinema is a bit of a bugbear. Granted with the sports, live broadcast channels are the main thing - and with cinema, it's always better to record films to watch at convenience (and not get caught with tuner clashes) than rely on OD... But there does seem to be less and less Sky HD content available as time goes on.
I bookmark all my films now rather than record them as they take up too much room on my box and I end up deleting them because we tend to watch TV series rather than films most of the time.

I couldn't do this with the Tivo because of the lack of tuners, as you say, but this is not a problem with the V6.
Old 16-01-2018, 15:45   #194
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Sky Q and the V6 both do much the same thing, so I don't believe the reviews that put the Sky Q ahead. I do think the Sky Q UI is better, but that's not the fault of the V6.

The main difference that I can see is that whereas you get a V6 for every room so you have your own recordings on each box, which are all linked together, with the Sky Q you have these mini-boxes which take their recordings from just one box.

What are the other significant differences?
Sky Atlantic (sorry i had too bud hehe) Skyq has 2tb or 1tb storage although as i reported awhile back 2tb is supposed to be coming to the v6 this year.
SKYQ 2tb only i think has live UHD content v6 does not yet.

However drifting off a bit from skyq here one thing i applaud VM for is their tvplayer it is superb, skys skygo is pathetic.
Old 16-01-2018, 18:04   #195
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sky Atlantic (sorry i had too bud hehe) Skyq has 2tb or 1tb storage although as i reported awhile back 2tb is supposed to be coming to the v6 this year.
SKYQ 2tb only i think has live UHD content v6 does not yet.

However drifting off a bit from skyq here one thing i applaud VM for is their tvplayer it is superb, skys skygo is pathetic.
Well, with two boxes, you do get 2TB, the same as a Sky Q box with one or two mini-boxes.

As for Sky Atlantic and UHD content, these are not V6 issues.

From what I have seen (and both my daughters have Sky Q), the capability of both the V6 and the Sky Q are very similar indeed.
Closed Thread