Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM General News Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

VM General News Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 15:15   #211
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Interesting. Why is a global cable company looking to sell off presence in those countries?
The suggestion I've seen is that it will leave Liberty Global with a similar footprint to that of Vodafone...
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2017, 00:36   #212
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

These two will likely combine at some point and as I said earlier in the thread, merge together with Malone's US companies.

Eventually an even bigger fish (Apple??) will come along and swallow the lot whole once Malone has done all the work of bringing various content and network companies together.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
....related to Liberty's purchase of UTV Ireland, I think Malone will now go ahead for a full takeover of ITV for one very good reason.....

The pound crashed and is still going down and its now a lot cheaper for Malone to purchase the rest of ITV.

Watch this space, I would expect this to happen "soon" ish...
This was from the first page of this thread and I've changed my mind on this now. If Malone was going to buy ITV, he would've done it by now. He's got much bigger fish to catch now, then again, he did get that ITV stake for a reason...perhaps I shouldn't rule out ITV getting bought, but as I said before, I reckon it would be somebody like Disney.

Last edited by Horizon; 12-12-2017 at 02:00.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 19:48   #213
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Virgin Media gives away £100 vouchers in flash sale on Full House TV bundles.

https://www.cable.co.uk/news/virgin-...ale-700002082/
Old 21-12-2017, 22:39   #214
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

So, Liberty Global is set to float its interests outside Europe (aka LILAC), sell its Austrian business to Deutsche Telekom and thereby put itself in pole position to combine with Vodafone. Interesting times in 2018!
https://www.ft.com/content/08f7f89a-...9-0191e45377ec
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 00:08   #215
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Yes, I was meaning to publish Dear John's latest goings on myself. That FT article is a premium one, but the story is mentioned in this Telegraph article: (and other articles too)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...est-manoeuvre/

Malone was interviewed by CNBC last month and he basically said his cable assets are up for sale if a suitable buyer comes along and he was approached by four companies but refused to name one of them. I think we know who that is!

Here's a snippet of that interview:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/16/john...r-charter.html

Here's a long interview he did last year which I found very interesting:

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2016/11/1...interview.html

In other news, Malone has also bought a higher share in Discovery today, a company he controls, albeit indirectly already:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/17/libe...ery-stock.html

He's starting to look quite frail now which is not surprising as he is in his 80s and he clearly wants to finish his consolidation of his empire, then sell the lot to the highest bidder.

He's also buying full control of HSN, Home Shopping Network, perhaps he'll merge it with QVC.

Last edited by Horizon; 22-12-2017 at 01:44.
Old 02-02-2018, 20:05   #216
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Latest business news:

Vodafone eyes European expansion with Liberty Global deal

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42921619

Purchase of assets, merger or takeover - any offers?
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:29   #217
Horizon
Media Watcher

A different article I saw yesterday mentioned the UK, but the BBC article doesn't.

If the assets swaps are in countries where they both have assets, the UK is clearly one of them.

Liberty Global's full year results are out in a few weeks, so perhaps we might find out then, although normally they don't talk about this sort of stuff.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:09   #218
gba93
ofc.founder_member

gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
A different article I saw yesterday mentioned the UK, but the BBC article doesn't.

If the assets swaps are in countries where they both have assets, the UK is clearly one of them.

Liberty Global's full year results are out in a few weeks, so perhaps we might find out then, although normally they don't talk about this sort of stuff.
Makes it even more intriguing.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:58   #219
Horizon
Media Watcher

The FT front page article on this today specifically rules out VM being part of the deal.

Malone has spent all this time buying separate European cable cos, only to split them off again and sell them. Doesn't make sense at all.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:11   #220
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Quote:
The FT front page article on this today specifically rules out VM being part of the deal.

Malone has spent all this time buying separate European cable cos, only to split them off again and sell them. Doesn't make sense at all.
Worth more together than individually?
Old 03-02-2018, 13:59   #221
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That sounds right - Vodafone says the talks are regarding continental european assets, so presumably not VM.
http://tools.eurolandir.com/tools/Pr...code=uk-vod&v=
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 22:41   #222
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

I've not heard of any asset swaps, just Liberty selling assets in some European countries to Vodafone.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 22:29   #223
Horizon
Media Watcher

So what do we reckon will happen here? Is this Liberty selling most of their European cable business' to Vodafone like UPC and keeping VM for themselves? Perhaps as a possible prelude to merging VM with with their American companies. Don't forget Malone now controls Scripps, the owner of UKTV (Dave, UK Gold etc) or will. That deal hasn't finalised yet.

I don't get what his thinking is here.

Malone and Fries constantly talk about scale. They have that with their European operations, but unlike America, their European cable cos operate in different countries, different languages, laws etc etc. Perhaps they are just tired of running such disparately operations, but why buy them in the first place?

Perhaps they just want to concentrate on the English speaking world and sod everything else??

I think we need to keep an eye on the wider media landscape too here as Malone was talking to Viacom and CBS last year about a possible deal between them.

At the moment, Viacom and CBS are talking about merging back together again, so perhaps ultimately the new CBS/Viacom may become part of Malone's empire at some point.

Everyone is worried about Amazon, Netflix, Apple and Facebook. It's why Mudoch has sold out.

Malone now has significant media interests, but they are still much smaller than the new Disney to be, the new AT&T/Time Warner company (when that happens) Comcast/NBC and the likes of Amazon haven't really yet put all their tanlks on the field yet, they will..

Here's a quick reminder of what Malone de facto controls, if not owns:

Virgin Media
all3media (one of the UK's largest production houses) which makes stuff like Midsomer Murders, Hollyoaks and Wolf Hall.

Discovery
Eurosport
Scripps - the owner of UKTV
F1
Charter - the 2nd biggest cable co in America
Starz
OVC and HSN
a share of Lionsgate and not forgetting almost 10% of ITV.

and that's just the main stuff. If that were all merged together, that would be significant in itself, but merge all that with Viacom/CBS or someone else and you have an aboslute global goliath.

If that were to happen, expect a ITV-Ch5 merger soon afterwards.

Still no mobile deal, yet.

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

And just from my predecessor thread to this one, thread here:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...6#post35780236

A few posts from there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Latest News on Vodafone/Liberty tie-up ... or not?

Vodafone/Virgin Media?

Independent/Evening Standard business editor James Ashton tweets:

Vodafone/Liberty talks must be all about UK/Germany. Voda outbid Lib for Kabel Deutschland. Now will it swap it for Virgin Media?

James Ashton

7:50 a.m. - 5 June 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-32929073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well it wouldn't be just for the UK. malone said Europe and Liberty is on the whole european.

I could see it happening but it would take a boat load of work on the vodafone side of things.

Vodafone would have to be split into two, incidentally not dissimilar to what C&W did before they were bought by Vodafone.

You would have Vodafone Europe and Vodafone rest of the world, I'm assuming the huge submarine cable network would be spun off with the RoTW, can't see Liberty wanting it.

I don't know. The question is do you destroy Vodafone to save it?

From what I can pick up around here, it could happen.
My thinking here is, and there were numerous posts about it from others in my old thread, as Vodafone is being squeezed in the UK where once it was dominate, could it sell its UK operation to Malone?

Last edited by Horizon; 04-02-2018 at 22:11.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:47   #224
Aye Up
Barking up the wrong tree

Services: VM Gig1
Aye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enoughAye Up will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My thinking here is, and there were numerous posts about it from others in my old thread, as Vodafone is being squeezed in the UK where once it was dominate, could it sell its UK operation to Malone?
Vodafone is looking to expand in the UK not shrink. There are two viable options for Vodafone when it comes to buying a competitor Virgin Media and TalkTalk. Both have established customer bases with full quadplay service offering, and would be relatively easy to integrate into the VFUK operation. If VF doesn't get hold of Virgin Media, then they will go after TalkTalk as that is a business ready to be bought, spending little under £2bn would net Vodafone 4m+ customers compared to the probably £15-£17bn needed for VM.
Aye Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:00   #225
Horizon
Media Watcher

I know what Vodafone want, including considering launching their own pay tv service, but where once they were dominate in their field, they're now the number three player.

Lets not forget 5g. Mobile companies need fibre networks to help them power their mobile networks if we're all going to download hd/4k films onto mobile devices in seconds. VM has a fibre network, so does Talktalk, albeit a smaller one.

I don't see TalkTalk surviving much longer in any case after their data breach, so Vodafone could in theory buy both of them.