Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sharing an internet connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sharing an internet connection

Old 29-07-2007, 16:16   #1
davidoc
Inactive

davidoc is an unknown quantity at this point
sharing an internet connection

hi all...I know I am gonna sound thick here but here goes....I currently use a desktop which was once windows me...which I upgraded to windows xp...I am getting a laptop which will run windows vista and what i would like to do is to share my internet connect between the twp computers...I dont need to network for any other reason as I dont want to share anything between computers but the internet connection...I am currently using ntl cable modem for my desktop...how do and what do i need to just share the internet connection between laptop and desktop.so as both can be on the internet at the same time.....i had a ethernet cable come with my modem but i use the usb connection at the mo....

Thanks in advance guys.....Dave
davidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2007, 16:17   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: sharing an internet connection

The EASIEST way would be to get a router - forget that you dont need to network your computer for any other reason, it's the most straight-forward method of doing it.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 16:22   #3
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Does your desktop have a spare ethernet port. If it does then you can connect the ethernet cable from the pc to the laptop and then enable ICS on the pc.
Or if the laptop your getting has wireless then you might want to invest in a wireless router so you can use the connection anywhere in your house. Also using a router would mean your computer wouldnt have to be on when your using the laptop.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 16:26   #4
davidoc
Inactive

thanx zeph.....is it just a case of pulgging both pc's into the router and just clicking the internet explorer on the new one and it will connect?????

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:24 ----------

yes it has a ethernet port but how do i enable ics on the desktop
Old 29-07-2007, 16:38   #5
zing_deleted

connect to a router with everything switched off. Turn on modem allow to settle then router then pc's then they both should work.

To enable ics the easiest way is to run network connection wizard but ensure the computers are connected via a crossover cable and not the one that come with the modem
Old 29-07-2007, 18:57   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

ICS is OK but both PCs need to be on and forwarding ports is not straightforward.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 22:31   #7
davidoc
Inactive

Thank you very much for your help guys....Much appreciated..Dave
Old 31-07-2007, 10:34   #8
ECW_Original
Permanently Banned

Services: VM landline, XL TV, V+ & Samsung STB, XXXs BB(20Mb running at under 1.5Mb)
ECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enough

Like as was said above, all you need is a wireless router, connect it to the cable modem, wire the desktop(if you so wish) to the router and then use the desktop to set up the wireless access for your lappy, job done!

I have 2 laptops, 1 desktop and 1 ASUS WL-HDD connected as a backup file & print server and all works a treat
ECW_Original is offline   Reply With Quote