Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router To Router??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router To Router??

Old 31-07-2007, 16:51   #1
keith_tottingham
Inactive

keith_tottingham is an unknown quantity at this point
Router To Router??

Hi im in urgent help basically what i am trying to do is have a pc upstairs and a pc downstairs i have 2 wireless routers and im wondering if i can connect router to router via wireless can this be done or am i wasting my time. i dont have no wireless adaptors just 2 wireless routers wud be very greatful for any indication if you can do this or not thx.
keith_tottingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2007, 17:06   #2
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Router To Router??

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_tottingham View Post
Hi im in urgent help basically what i am trying to do is have a pc upstairs and a pc downstairs i have 2 wireless routers and im wondering if i can connect router to router via wireless can this be done or am i wasting my time. i dont have no wireless adaptors just 2 wireless routers wud be very greatful for any indication if you can do this or not thx.
You can yes, there is a technique known as bridging. However considering a 54g USB adaptor is about £15 would it not be easuer to just purchase one ?
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 17:09   #3
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I've just accomplished this very task.

You don't say what routers you (make/model), but it is possible to get alternative firmware for some routers. This allows you to connect the two routers together (amongst other things).

to Cable Forum by the way
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 20:56   #4
keith_tottingham
Inactive

the models r a bt voyager 2500v unlocked to any isp and also a speedtouch 576 v6 witch is just on pipex. if u cud help me get this sorted i'll be very greatful and also thx for the welcome
Old 31-07-2007, 21:04   #5
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Ok, not sure that you can with those routers. I would take a look on Google and see if it's possible to get alternative firmware for them. Also, have a look around in the settings pages and see if there's an option in their to put them into 'bridging' mode, or it may be labled something like 'repeater'.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 21:16   #6
keith_tottingham
Inactive

we have managed to bridge the connection and on my router its showing that the wireless is on but no internet connection is there any certain setting i maybe missing out? i only want it upstairs so i can have a pc down n 1 up and also my xbox 360 upstairs
Old 31-07-2007, 21:17   #7
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

This link is for the Voyager 210 http://www.puzbie.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143 see if yours has something similar (the 2500v) that is

EDIT: right so you have bridging enabled, im working on pure speculation here but do both routers still have DHCP enabled ? if so only have DHCP running on the one physically connected to the internet