Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 03-05-2015, 17:14   #301
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Just finished cleaning and sealing the roof of the car and also cleaning the roof drains too
Old 07-05-2015, 14:54   #302
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Just fitted a new ceiling spotlight in my office

The old halogen track light stopped working the other day. Quite an old one with an integral transformer running those 12v MR16 bulbs. Carbon everywhere and Primary winding on the transformer completely disintegrated. Nice!
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:29   #303
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Just fitted a new dipped beam bulb to the passenger side of my new car (MK1 Focus)

I was dreading having to do this (my father had real trouble doing the job on our old focus 10 years ago) as the bulb is well recessed in to the lamp and there's no room behind it.

However thanks to the internet, I could look up the job in more detail, and "cheat" by simply unbolting the enitre headlamp assembly and doing the job that way. Much quicker!
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:33   #304
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Yes my wife has a Focus and I seem to recall reading that, on some models, doing this job is a real PITA. IIRC hers (2007) isn't one of the affected models and I believe it's a fairly simple job. Phew.

YouTube is great for finding videos on that sort of thing.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2015, 08:45   #305
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

The later MK2 focus (your wife's) is much easier (Ford must have had a few complaints!). Three Torx screws on the top of the headlamp unit is all that holds it in. Remove these, remove the unit and change the bulb.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 13:30   #306
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

With the help of some really good superglue, a pair of my wife's earphones (detached rubber earbud) and one of her trainers (a detached heel section).
Old 16-05-2015, 12:40   #307
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Going through the solar lanterns: 3 worked straight off so they're out in the sun. Two need some attention with the magic spray and their batteries are in the charger at the moment. There's one left that was gnawed by a fox (I think) last year and is looking very sorry for itself, it's battery compartment is also falling to bits so it'll be a superglue job I guess.

They must be at least 8 or 9 years old so they've held up well. Two batteries in each one and a big solar array (60mm x 60mm) which is all cell, no gaps, on the top unlike the rubbish on the market today.

Two of the solar rocks look beyond help, the electronics have corroded away and the solar arrays have gone misty.
Old 17-05-2015, 16:09   #308
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Managed to get one of the solar rocks up. The on/off switch was borked so I removed it and soldered the lines together. Cleaned up the battery compartment. Two batteries in the charger and out it goes.
Old 24-06-2015, 11:34   #309
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Solar garden lights from B&M

Unscrewed and opened up the solar charger thingy and there were two really nasty looking AA NiCads inside:

One delivering 400mV and the other wasn't even electrically connected across the terminals

Popped in a couple of charged-up spares and all Bob's your auntie
Old 24-06-2015, 11:51   #310
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

I noticed on the most recent 3 solar rocks that I bouight that the AA cell was only 300mahr, they used to be 600. Price pressure I guess. I put in some higher capacity ones anyway.

It's often the battery compartment that corrodes and does them in.
Old 24-06-2015, 12:09   #311
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I noticed on the most recent 3 solar rocks that I bouight that the AA cell was only 300mahr, they used to be 600. Price pressure I guess. I put in some higher capacity ones anyway.

It's often the battery compartment that corrodes and does them in.
The AA's in that light unit I just sorted out were 800mAH but I don't actually think they were real batteries, just filled with sand or whatever else they find on the ground where they're made
Old 24-06-2015, 12:44   #312
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I replace the standard batteries with tagged cells that I solder in. I also spray WD40 or silicon spray inside the sleeves of the LEDs to rustproof them.

I have repaired my 8' potting table/ pot store and repainted.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 14:18   #313
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Two cisco firewalls that were having a vrrp hissy fit
Old 25-06-2015, 06:52   #314
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Painted the garden shed with 5 year wood preservative.
Tinky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 07:42   #315
Osem
Inactive

The trellis on our back fence and Osem Jnr's favourite shoes.