Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 20-04-2011, 10:09   #301
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Finally got my Sky BB up and running, only getting about about 3.5Mbps DL and 0.4 Up at the moment but what a diference

The ping is quite high due to my distance from the exchange but it's only to the first hop and gaming on it is world's apart, I played Black Op's on the PS3 for a hour last night and the only bit of lag I got was when a mate hosted (on Virgin) but that only lasted for a second or two plus no more getting shot round corners, no dropped bullets whilst sniping etc etc. It just goes to show that Jitter makes all the difference.

I've not had any signing in issues or error codes, voice quality whilst in game has improved with friends saying they can hear me clearer.
It's encouraging to hear your gaming has improved even with the low speeds you're getting.

I got BT installing on the 6th May purely for gaming
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2011, 11:00   #302
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
interleaving is a buffer added to add error correction, the higher its set then more latency the connection has. High interleaving will add a lot of latency and can easily triple base latency.
I just assumed that because I'm at the end of a couple of miles of copper, that's the reason the ping is as high as it is.

Either way as long as it performs as well as it did last night I will be happy, but the true test will be whether it can sustain me gaming while the wife is on her lappy on you tube and facebook etc.

Time will tell, but if I'm right I think standard definition you tube only uses about 2Mbps??, gaming is next to nothing so I should be ok.

One thing I did notice was that the MTU was set at 1500 and I thought ADSL should ideally be a little lower eg 1472??

Any advice welcome
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 12:27   #303
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
I just assumed that because I'm at the end of a couple of miles of copper, that's the reason the ping is as high as it is.

Either way as long as it performs as well as it did last night I will be happy, but the true test will be whether it can sustain me gaming while the wife is on her lappy on you tube and facebook etc.

Time will tell, but if I'm right I think standard definition you tube only uses about 2Mbps??, gaming is next to nothing so I should be ok.

One thing I did notice was that the MTU was set at 1500 and I thought ADSL should ideally be a little lower eg 1472??

Any advice welcome
depends on the network, most isps have it set at 1500, but some use 1472, and some even use 1400
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 12:34   #304
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
depends on the network, most isps have it set at 1500, but some use 1472, and some even use 1400
Cheers Craig, I will have a play over the next few days and see if any gains can be had
Old 20-04-2011, 12:36   #305
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

to calculate what MTU you should use

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU2.htm
Old 20-04-2011, 12:44   #306
pabscars
Inactive

A few of my online buddies have BT ADSL and don't have any serious issues with FPS games like Black Op's etc.

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
to calculate what MTU you should use

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU2.htm
Rep sent

much obliged
Old 20-04-2011, 15:28   #307
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

call up sky and tell them to reduce your maxdelays pabscars and youll see a big improvement in ping
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 15:42   #308
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
call up sky and tell them to reduce your maxdelays pabscars and youll see a big improvement in ping
Can you give me a little more info Kalleh, is this within Sky's remit to change stuff like this.

Also I have to bear in mind that (according to the literature) I have to wait 10 days for my line to stabilise and during that time my speed will fluctuate.
Old 20-04-2011, 16:32   #309
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

pabscars you have proved a point I made before tho.

the point been jitter is king over base latency, you have a high base latency but good jitter hence your improvement in gaming.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:20   #310
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah if you speak to someone who doesnt know what it is try to speak to either senior support but generally the term used it maxdelay/interleaving.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:36   #311
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
Yeah if you speak to someone who doesnt know what it is try to speak to either senior support but generally the term used it maxdelay/interleaving.
max delay and interleaving is a completley different thing. on LLU sky will NOT put you onto a zero interleaving profile whatsoever, i dont even think the staff have the option to, however on the non LLU packages i think they can. on the LLU they have the option of reducing the max delay, from what i remember its from 16 to 8 to reduce ping
Old 20-04-2011, 21:35   #312
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
pabscars you have proved a point I made before tho.

the point been jitter is king over base latency, you have a high base latency but good jitter hence your improvement in gaming.
Agreed, fingers crossed it stays that way

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

Quote:
max delay and interleaving is a completley different thing. on LLU sky will NOT put you onto a zero interleaving profile whatsoever, i dont even think the staff have the option to, however on the non LLU packages i think they can. on the LLU they have the option of reducing the max delay, from what i remember its from 16 to 8 to reduce ping
Interesting stuff guys and big thanks for the heads up, so lets say after the settling in period I can ring up Sky (LLU) and ask them to flick a switch or whatever they do to reduce the max delay to 8 and they should know what I'm talking about, will this have any impact on Jitter at all.

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Just noticed the Sky monitor has started running again, I don't know why I've not done anything.
Old 20-04-2011, 21:42   #313
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

After your earlier post I checked my Infinity graph which was also a mass of red.

Turns out my IP had changed.

Looks like I have to monitor that as I am used to VM IP's being sticky (sort of).
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 22:09   #314
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
After your earlier post I checked my Infinity graph which was also a mass of red.

Turns out my IP had changed.

Looks like I have to monitor that as I am used to VM IP's being sticky (sort of).
It was the first thing I checked pip, no harm done at least it's working again
Old 20-04-2011, 23:41   #315
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

that is my major gripe with the tbb monitoring, no facility to edit the ip of a monitor. So when I went back to the superhub as the ip was new I had to make a new graph, I expect when I go back to the vmng300 if the dhcp expires so new ip again, it will be yet another new graph.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote