Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky SD viewers told to upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky SD viewers told to upgrade

Old 06-12-2023, 07:43   #16
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Sky SD viewers told to upgrade

At a guess they can’t force everyone onto Q because it needs a web connection and if they are forcing SD to +HD they will plan to maintain it for a few years yet (or else why not migrate SD to Q).
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2023, 12:05   #17
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
At a guess they can’t force everyone onto Q because it needs a web connection and if they are forcing SD to +HD they will plan to maintain it for a few years yet (or else why not migrate SD to Q).
Sky are offering viewers with SD only boxes Sky Q.

I have not seen any offer for viewers to have a Sky+ HD box.

By the look of thing from the outside Sky+ HD is not on offer anymore.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:26   #18
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I certainaly hope not!!

When AT&T bought DIrercTV they tried to force me to get thier HD crap and I treeid saying I didnt want it,I liked my SD box...... Well then they wanted me to goto 1 of thier SD boxs which was crap compared to mine... It was slower and not as nice!!

I just ended up getting rid of it.......

I wass paying about £39 a month and didnt watch anything anyway really....
You need to get real and join the modern world SD looks dreadful now. Especially if you had an even remotely modern telly with a HDMI socket, larger than 32"
Old 06-12-2023, 16:50   #19
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I know Stevie but I hope you wont get mad at me if I say this...

I love SD and I am grateful not to have one of those flat screen things.... To me they dont look as nice,the video is flat and has no detail.. The sound is horrid compared to analogue...

To me its horrible and its sad people have been so conditioned to think this stuff is so good when it really isnt......
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 17:17   #20
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well if you watched SD on a 55" or larger it would look terrible. Full HD or UHD HDR looks unreal in its detail and colour depth.

No one is conditioned, to the human eye it's clearly a major improvement of old tech. I still love my DVDs and Laserdiscs but the picture looks terrible in comparison.
Old 06-12-2023, 18:22   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
By the look of thing from the outside Sky+ HD is not on offer anymore.
Its not been available to order since October 2016, but is maintained for the millions still using it.

Quote:
To me its horrible and its sad people have been so conditioned to think this stuff is so good when it really isnt......
HD is better than SD, thats not "conditioning" its simple logic, just like UHD is better than HD.
Higher resolution = better quality / detail, esp on bigger screens. Of course, you do need a decent TV, not some 25 year old 24" CRT ...

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:12   #22
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Its not been available to order since October 2016, but is maintained for the millions still using it.
I did not know that wee bit,

My last Sky box was one of the very first Sky+ box. After it dies on me I join Virgin Media.
Old 19-01-2024, 16:35   #23
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Channels listed here will close soon on SD-only receivers. STILL Got a SD Box? You need to contact Sky/Freesat to upgrade:

ATN
Ahlebait
PoliticsPunjab
KICC
Xpanded
Word Net
Ayozat
92 News
iON
ImamHussein3
WRN Euro
Old 20-01-2024, 01:15   #24
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I'm curious how many people still have an SD only sky box.

Old 23-01-2024, 17:27   #25
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Thumbs down

I reckon those who dont give a blast about HD (Which is more than ya think)

They cant force people off what they have had all thier lives!!
Old 23-01-2024, 17:56   #26
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

They haven't had it all there lives and yes they can make them upgrade as the SD service dwindles in numbers it costs more to maintain for less customers and if they switch the old service off customers will have to upgrade. Look what happened to analogue TV, cable and satellite services, they are all gone.
Old 23-01-2024, 20:10   #27
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
They cant force people off what they have had all thier lives!!
Of course they can, they simply stop the service.

Old 25-01-2024, 16:36   #28
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Ya its sad isnt it??
Old 25-01-2024, 18:22   #29
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

No it's good. No need to keep old service or legacy systems about.
Old 23-03-2024, 13:17   #30
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Anyone with an SD-only or Sky+ receiver will need to contact Sky / Freesat for help to upgrade your box to HD on numbers below:

Freesat: 0345 313 0051 / http://hdsatelliteupgrade.co.uk
Sky: 0333 759 1018 / http://sky.com/help

Update:

Following to close by June:
-The rest of Sky Cinema SD Channels
-Sky Sports SD Channels
-MUTV

Following to close by September:
-All SD Channels will close.

Note all channels will stay on SkyQ boxes.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/sky-up...oxes-blackout/