Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

using remote desktop

Old 10-09-2005, 21:07   #1
Bods
Inactive

Bods is an unknown quantity at this point
using remote desktop

i a having problems using remote desktop to connect to the servers at my workplace. can anyone help please, im using XP Home trying to connect to a windows 2000sbs. getting a licencing protocol error but it works fine from a BT B/B Connection
Bods is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2005, 21:12   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: using remote desktop

Can you post the exact error, and at what point it happens.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:12   #3
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

to cf i dont know myself but i'm sure a very helpfull person will be along soon edit> like him ^^^^
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:49   #4
setch
Inactive

setch is on a distinguished roadsetch is on a distinguished road

This type of error normally indicates a problem with either Terminal Server license server or the actual Terminal Server itself.

If I am guessing correctly the error that you are getting is

The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licensing protocol. Please try connecting to the remote computer again or contact your server administrator

A. If you are using a licensing server, is it up and running?
You also need to check that the license server, terminal server and the client can communicate with each other.

B. Check the registry settings on the client (MS XP HOME)

1. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing
2. Click MSLicensing
3. From the Registry menu, click Export Registry File
4. When saving call mslicensingbackup (this can be restored by double clicking on the saved file)
5. Click the Edit menu, then click Delete. Click Yes to confirm the deletion of the MSLicensing subkey.
6. Close the registry editor and then restart your PC

The deleted key will be rebuilt.

Try the connection to the server again.

Good Luck, but remember that playing with the registry is bad for your health and I take no responsibility should anything go wrong.

Setch
setch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:53   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

try using realvnc it may offer you better control than the MS version.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 21:57   #6
setch
Inactive

He would need a VNC server running on the terminal server. Probably not allowed if he does not own the TS. Also VNC is pretty poor on responses compared to RDP. Citrix ICA is the way to go.

I use VNC to connect to a server in Dublin and due to slow responses, I have dropped many a clanger by clicking the wrong thing.

Setch
Old 10-09-2005, 22:01   #7
jaycee
Inactive

jaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enoughjaycee will become famous soon enough

If memory serves RDP uses port 445, and I think NTL block this as it's a commonly used hacking port. There is a way to tunnel it over other ports apparently but I'm not sure about this.
jaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 22:04   #8
setch
Inactive

By default Terminal Server and Windows 2000 Terminal Services uses TCP port 3389 for client connections. As a general rule you should not change this.

Setch
Old 10-09-2005, 22:14   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee
If memory serves RDP uses port 445, and I think NTL block this as it's a commonly used hacking port. There is a way to tunnel it over other ports apparently but I'm not sure about this.
Nope, as setch says, RDP uses tcp 3389.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 22:18   #10
setch
Inactive

445 is used for Server Message Blocks. Not sure if the same port is used on NT4.

Setch
Old 11-09-2005, 19:55   #11
Bods
Inactive

the error that i get is :-
'The remote computer disconnected the session because of an error in the licencing protocol.
Please try connecting to the remote computer again or contact your server administrator'

it happens just after i click connect on the Remote desktop screen.

I have tried the suggestions with the registry.

setch,

is there a microsoft KB that i can use to check the server in work that the terminal server licencing is all talking, i am able to ping the external address of the router.

i have read that by changing my IP address and proxy settings it will help, havent done this yet as i havent found any other ip addresses to use,
Old 11-09-2005, 20:21   #12
setch
Inactive

Bods

Try this link

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...858897e2c.mspx

I do remember that W2K had some issues with the way that licensing worked for TS connections. It was something to do with losing licenses at a fast rate of knots so that eventually you would not get any new connections until you recovered the lost ones. But in reality there was no way to recover them, you had to call Microsoft and they would just give you some more due to it being their problem. This may not be the problem in your case though, but worth bearing in mind should you need to speak with Microsoft tech support.

Good luck

Setch
Old 11-09-2005, 20:33   #13
Bods
Inactive

thanks for the article ref, any idea how i find the ip address of my cable modem to try and ping it from work? i'ts looking more like a problem with the server rather than NTL settings? think i may re-configure the router in work to accept VPN Connections if i carry on gettin problems
Old 11-09-2005, 20:39   #14
setch
Inactive

I get mine from the routers configuration page, mine is a Belkin so I enter 192.168.2.1 in the address bar of the browser, I think the Linksys use 192.168.1.1. But if you have a router then you probably cannot ping it anyway.

One of the mods here will give you the best way of finding it.

Setch
Old 11-09-2005, 20:50   #15
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bods
thanks for the article ref, any idea how i find the ip address of my cable modem to try and ping it from work? i'ts looking more like a problem with the server rather than NTL settings? think i may re-configure the router in work to accept VPN Connections if i carry on gettin problems
www.ipchicken.com

www.whatismyip.com

hope these help
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote