Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Talktalk blocking most of file hosting sites

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Infinity: RG41 5 - 1 month in

Old 22-01-2011, 12:34   #1
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
BT Infinity: RG41 5 - 1 month in

To recapitulate, I had Infinity installed alongside VM 50 meg on 20-Dec-10.

During peak hours, Infinity downstream may fall to around 25 meg; at all other times, it's 37/38 meg (against BT's forecast of 31 meg).

Upstream is around 8 meg at all times. When the boy comes home, he'll try Black Ops + Ventrilo and we'll see how that performs.

Against this, VM 50 meg is around 49/50 meg at all except peak times when it varies between 25 & 43 meg. Upstream is 3.75 meg at all times. Black Ops + Ventrilo is perfect whenever he plays.

The Infinity Homehub 2 is upstairs and feeds into a Devolo 200AV powerline; The VM modem + Airport Extreme router are downstairs and feeds into another Devolo Av powerline. The target PCs are on the end of a switch fed by a third Devolo 200AV powerline. I can switch my PC at will between VM and BT.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2011, 13:23   #2
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: BT Infinity: RG41 5 - 1 month in

Latency?
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 15:35   #3
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Services: 20 meg BB , 3 Samsung STB's, Landline, 4 Mobiles, V+ Box, UK Online 8 Meg
AmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enough

I'm keen to see how it compares to 50 meg when gaming too, I guess your lad is on PC as he is using Vent.
I have what is left of UKOnline at the moment and it doesn't seem that brilliant tbh, I have VM 20 meg also which I can switch to, to do comparisons. The kids use VM so that is not a fair comparison when we are all online at the same time.
If Infinity is quick and stable with no noticeable packet loss or similar then I will go with that.
I really need someone who games to give a proper assessment against VM.
Everything can differ from area to area I know, but it will give me some kind of idea.
AmAtoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 17:17   #4
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Latency?
Nothing to report. The wretched Pingtest is an A and Pathping to BBC is 20 ms. Only when the boy gets gaming will we know the real score. He'll know instantly if it feels different from VM 50 meg.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmAtoL View Post
I'm keen to see how it compares to 50 meg when gaming too, I guess your lad is on PC as he is using Vent.
I have what is left of UKOnline at the moment and it doesn't seem that brilliant tbh, I have VM 20 meg also which I can switch to, to do comparisons. The kids use VM so that is not a fair comparison when we are all online at the same time.
If Infinity is quick and stable with no noticeable packet loss or similar then I will go with that.
I really need someone who games to give a proper assessment against VM.
Everything can differ from area to area I know, but it will give me some kind of idea.
It'll be a week or so as he normally lives in London and comes home to play Black Ops every so often. When he's doing so on VM 50 meg, I'm on the forums or similar and we don't interfere with each other, as you might expect.

I'm staying on Infinity for the next couple of weeks. It was only getting the third Devolo Homeplug past the wife that has held me up.

Just so you know, I'll be keeping both and intend setting up a load balancing arrangement between the two providers using a second ethernet card in my PC.

Old 22-01-2011, 21:47   #5
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Services: 20 meg BB , 3 Samsung STB's, Landline, 4 Mobiles, V+ Box, UK Online 8 Meg
AmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enough

Cheers Seph
My only other option is to try and persuade a work colleague who had Infinity fitted on Thursday, to let me hook up my PC for an hour or so to see how it performs.
Old 22-01-2011, 23:20   #6
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Then you can let me know.

BTW, the boy also plays on a Q6600 (8 GB) with a GeForce 8800 GT.

Old 25-01-2011, 22:27   #7
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Aye was a very nice rig Seph, upgraded about 2 months ago. I did my usual trick of buying a processor just before a new one comes out (Sandy Bridge), but never mind it will do me for a while
Old 27-01-2011, 09:30   #8
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Just so you know, I'll be keeping both and intend setting up a load balancing arrangement between the two providers using a second ethernet card in my PC.
Using Linux i assume? I use 2 50Mb cable connections with a Dual WAN router, runs like a sweety :-)

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 20:09   #9
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

I said I'd report on Black Ops with my Infinity connexion.

It's currently just as solid as on VM 50 meg.

Old 15-02-2011, 20:23   #10
Aja
Inactive

Aja is an unknown quantity at this point

just received a letter from BT stating that Infinity was available in my area, ran the Infinity speed check which gave me the following guestimate 35.5 Mbps down / 8.6 Mbps up, out of the available Infinity packages I would most certainly go for option 2, the only thing putting me off is the 300 GB monthly download allowance, I use both p2p & usenet and with a possible 35Mbps download speed and a whopping 8Mbps upload speed I could see myself hitting 300GB within the month, at which point I will be FUPED and download speeds cut back to 1 Mbit for the remainder of the month which seems a bit draconian.

I'm also comparing Infinity to VM XXL 50 Mbit which looks like the better option, some good deals going on with VM, 1/2 price for 6 months, no install charges, £65 cashback offers etc, plus my area gets the faster 5Mbit upload speeds. I was with Virgin a long while back (Blueyonder) and the speeds advertised were pretty much the speeds I got I also like the fact that VM don't have STM on the 50 Mbit package, but even if they did I would just schedule my downloading for after midnight.
Aja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 20:41   #11
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

VM have finaly admitted on their forum that 350GB/month download is a sort of threshold where they send out Acceptable Use Policy letters. In areas of heavy aggregate use, that could be much lower because their basis is what happens to the non-heavvy download users squeezed out by the downloaders.

VM also have a published upload management policy because of P2P traffic. And they traffic shape newsgroups and P2P sites. So I'd go into it very carefully and also check with someone (like here) that yours is not a chronically poor performance area.

VM claim that 66% of their customers hit the "typical" speed published by OFCOM. That leaves an awful lot (34%) who don't. Would you be one of those? VM won't tell you before you buy although would know.

That said, I'm a satisfied VM customer - but it hangs on a knife's edge. VM could resegment everybody to smooth the load out and the downloaders breviously on RDN-22 could suddenly find themselves on RDNG-20, say, spoiling it for previously content customers.

In summary, if you can schedule your downloading AND you don't live in an oversubscribed area (particularly studentland) you may get a decent 50 meg service like I do.

HTH.

Old 15-02-2011, 21:01   #12
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

So what's the latency like on your BT line compared to VM, is the Jitter better or worse Seph

Given you've got a decent 50 Meg connection it should be a fair comparison
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 21:18   #13
Aja
Inactive

Aja is an unknown quantity at this point

@Sephiroth

Well my area is Enfield in London, it wasn't oversubscribed when I was with Blueyonder, and there were no contention issues when Blueyonder was re-badged as Virgin Media I pretty much got the full download speeds on my 10 Mbit connection 24/7 (unless I got stm'd which did seem to happen a lot and was the reason I moved to O2 unlimited who have just jacked up their prices.)

I didn't know about the VM 350GB download threshold warning letters and I hate it that ISP's try to hide these details from their subscribers, there's no mention of these thresholds on either BT or VM's websites but out of these two ISP's I still see VM as favourite, the idea of BT auto capping my download speeds from say 35 Mbit down to 1 Mbit for the remainder of the month if I exceed 300GB fills me with dread.

At least VM are not that punitive, I'm assuming these VM warning letters go out if 350GB is reached for uploads/downloads combined, either way thanks for the info!
Aja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 21:35   #14
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
So what's the latency like on your BT line compared to VM, is the Jitter better or worse Seph

Given you've got a decent 50 Meg connection it should be a fair comparison
Hi pabs -

I wanted to measure latency with Thinkbroadband/ping. But it won't do it - something about Dynamic IP address. It just reports 100% lost packets.

But in other respects, the Boy is best latency tester. He plays Black Ops non-stop when he's here and uses Ventrilo at the same time. Not a lost word, not a teleport, nothing going red. And that's with me messing around on my laptop on the same switch. BT Infinity checks out fine in my area. Just like VM on my UBR.

If you know of another remote ping test like Thinkbroadband have, do let me know.

Cheers

Old 15-02-2011, 21:59   #15
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Hi pabs -

I wanted to measure latency with Thinkbroadband/ping. But it won't do it - something about Dynamic IP address. It just reports 100% lost packets.

But in other respects, the Boy is best latency tester. He plays Black Ops non-stop when he's here and uses Ventrilo at the same time. Not a lost word, not a teleport, nothing going red. And that's with me messing around on my laptop on the same switch. BT Infinity checks out fine in my area. Just like VM on my UBR.

If you know of another remote ping test like Thinkbroadband have, do let me know.

Cheers
There's www.pingtest.net for an immediate ping-test but that's java-based and subjective, so needs to be done thrice to get a good reading. Also give this a go: http://www.123myip.co.uk/ping/result.php

Dynamic IP address would only matter if the router was switched off or rebooted, as it then means it can't track the IP change, so your results get skewed. More than likely the router's not responding to ICMP echoes.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote